SP2 for VIsta is NOT necessary?

amnios

QUESTION... How important is SP2 for Vista??? I read these features below and could live without each one. What do you all think???

Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista was released to manufacturing on April 28, 2009,[75] and released to Microsoft Download Center and Windows Update on May 26, 2009.[76] In addition to a number of security and other fixes, a number of new features have been added. However, it did not include Internet Explorer 8:[77][78]

Windows Search 4.0 (currently available for SP1 systems as a standalone update)

Feature Pack for Wireless adds support for Bluetooth 2.1

Windows Feature Pack for Storage enables the data recording onto Blu-ray media

Windows Connect Now (WCN) to simplify Wi-Fi configuration

Improved support for resuming with active Wi-Fi connections

Enables the exFAT file system to support UTC timestamps, which allows correct file synchronisation across time zones

Support for ICCD/CCID smart cards

Support for VIA 64-bit CPUs

Improves audio and video performance for streaming high-definition content

Improves Windows Media Center (WMC) in content protection for TV[79]

Provides an improved power management policy that is up to 10% more efficient than the original in some configurations

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 share a single service pack binary, reflecting the fact that their code bases were joined with the release of Server 2008.[77] Service Pack 2 is not a cumulative update meaning that Service Pack 1 must be installed first.

There are a whole host of fixes to an SP1 system that are rolled up into the SP2 package. I would say that no service pack is *necessary* unless it's required for support (and right now, for Vista, you get patches only for SP1 or newer, making at least SP1 *necessary*). However, unless you have a reason NOT to install a service pack (and this one is already 10 months old), I would suggest testing it - unless something specifically breaks on your system with the latest service pack, I'd suggest upgrading. Whereas with a whole OS upgrade the reverse is true (upgrade only if you want or need to), a service pack upgrade is generally the reverse - unless you absolutely cannot, you probably should.

While this comment pertains to Windows XP, it could easily apply to Vista. I have XP OEM discs, slipstreamed w/ SP2 or SP3. I actively maintain my SP2 discs for two reasons:

• MSOFT has never (not while I was paying attention) addressed a deficiency WRT UAA drivers for HD audio devices. Can't install a HD audio device (many of the newest adapters) w/o using their KB888111 hotfix, which won't directly install under SP3.
  • Speed. I saw this illustrated two weeks ago, with a PC I redid for a customer. My XP discs were only different WRT the service pack. The customer brought his PC back for a 2nd treatment, bec it was intolerably slow under SP3 (installed from my SP3 disc.) Simply redid the PC using my SP2 disc and it was remarkably faster.

Obviously, Vista SP2 will not have the same issues, merely warning that SP2 could introduce undesirable consequences, if one is not cautious. It took me many days to figure out the HD audio issue, while a customer was waiting (impatiently) to take home his new HP PC, which I was downgrading from Vista to XP....Jet

If I am allowed to go slightly OT :ph34r:, the general problem I see with ServicePacks the way MS creates them is, exactly the same their OS, the complete and utter lack of modularity.

It's just like cars, there is nothing that p***es me off more than so called "packs".

Just an example:

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Kuga/KugaIndividual

(£1,788.00)

Anyone in his sane mind may want Leather Interiors, but someone please tell me I am not the only one completely lacking any need for feeling:

Rubber grips on pedals and footrest for a sporty sensation.

through having a number of stupid rubber inserts on aluminium pedals. :unsure:

Or to have a far more uncomfortable car by having 19" wheels:

19" alloy wheels, aluminium roof rails and privacy glass

which anyway, last time I checked, had no connection whatever with the "need" to have "aluminium roof rails" or "privacy glass"

Translated in plain English, it sounds like:

DO you want Leather upholstery?

Then your car MUST look like a US Government Car as you can see them on TV.

And yes, you can get this one:

http://www.config.ford.co.uk/fordconnection/en_GB/pv/popup.do?popup=RolloverInfo&partId=HBT

for a mere :w00t: £2,043.00, but you will have also Bi-Xenon headlights and sunroof, again, as I see it not really connected to wanting Leather seats.

jaclaz

The car analogy doesn't wash. A Service Pack is an amalgamation of fixes (mostly LDR fixes that require a support case otherwise to get) and potentially feature additions. While I don't agree with the latter (it's a Service Pack, not a Feature Pack!!!), it still stands to reason that at 24 months after the release of the current SP, the previous SP will stop getting any updates, at all, period. Windows is the most attacked vector out there, and running an unpatched system would seem to me to be a bad idea (even behind a router). The OP (and everyone else) is free to their opinions, of course, but ultimately if you want to stay patched, you're going to need to install the latest SP sooner or later.

XPSP2 support and patch availability runs out in July of this year, for instance.

Although it is true that I do not know how to slipstream SP2, I still think that SP2 is overall useless to me based on the features provided.

I wish I could get the security fixes SP2 apparently provides without all the extra junk. the whole point of using vlite in the first place was to get rid of stuff I won't use... now SP2 comes along and gives me stuff like Bluetooth, Media Center junk for Tvs, Blueray, etc, etc...

I don't need this stuff.

Is there a way I can get SP2 and eliminate all the junk using vlite?