Where to Start?

amnios

based on what I want to do right now, I'm not at all sure where to start looking for info in this forum ... there seems to be alot of advanced stuff after the fact.

Fact being that I thought Vlite was about creating a new Windows install disk that once used to insall, will shrink vista down considerably on the hard drive.

But where does a new guy like me start looking for info on how to do this... hopefully somewhere with sensible explanations of whats happening at each stage.

What I have right now is an original OEM Vista Business 64bit SP1 DVD.

What I think I want is to create from that(i guess) is an updated SP2 vista business 64 bit DVD that once used to install will be much smaller than my current install on the hard drive.

See, my dvd is SP1 and since using that I've upgraded to SP2.

Is that an issue? Can i use my original DVD? SHould I?

I have a 30GB SSD drive coming and would benefit from learning this all now and creating the install DVD now so that when the SSD comes i can just go ahead with a new lighter install.

I have no idea where to start please advise!

Well, integrating SP2 into a Vista CD is a bit more complicated than it was with XP. Here is the official guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335037%28WS.10%29.aspx

So, copy your CD to a folder on your HDD, do the procedure and create an ISO (VISTA SP2). That will be your primary source for vLite, you can copy from there every time you wish to experiment and create your perfect vLited DVD.

Install a Virtual Machine to test your projects and see if you are achieving the expected results. For anything else (specific questions), use the search function on the forum and post.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

After looking at the link I've decided based on my limited knowledge that integrating SP2 is way way far in my future. I need the basics first.

Right now these are the steps that are in my mind...

1) Run Vlite

2) Select Drive where my original SP1 Vista Business 64 DVD is(or my HD if I've already run vlite before)... THEN CLICK NEXT

3) SELECT THE TASKS that I want to have control over(I clicked all of them on)... THEN CLICK NEXT

4) HOTFIXES (not sure about this yet... just skip)... click NEXT

5) Click on COMPONENTS and select which things I DO NOT want to appear in my new DVD iso file. (No doubt what I select here is debatable... I've heard about preset downloads but I'm sure the preset would have to be of the same version I'm using... not sure where these are for download yet)... CLICK NEXT

6) TWEAKS... seems to be a lot of functionality here that I'm not totally sure of... I can understand the "services" section and no doubt spend hours researching if one is requried or not... just left it... CLICK NEXT

7) UNATENDED... as it suggest i guess I can pre fill out my product code and stuff to somewhat automate the install... not a big deal, left blank.. clicking NEXT

8) type in the name of the image file...click MAKE ISO

SO with what I did I created an iso that is about 2.8 GB in size and my original is 3.66 GB in size... so I've saved some size but how much "post install" space did I save?

I guess the next step is to create a virtual machine and install the iso using daemon tools or something... CORRECT? is so, which program do I use to do that?

AND ALSO... I HAVE NOT MISSED ANYTHING IN THE UNDERSTANDING OF THIS PROGRAM BASED ON WHAT YOU JUST READ THAT I'M DOING... did i?

Edited by amnios

A few points from my behalf as well...

1. don't search for presets; they can only (maybe) bring you somewhat close to what you want.

2. The reduction in the ISO is due to the compression methods used in vLite, so you didn't get much space after install.

3. Most virtual machines can mount ISOs, so you don't have to install a special application for virtual CDs/DVDs.

ok wont use presets.

but for a virtual machine...

I now have an iso... and I have daemon tools already installed which is a program that mounts isos to a virtual drive...

so how do you suggest I test my iso again? DO I actually install in on my hard drive or are you suggesting making a virtual vista inside my actual vista?

I'm a bit confused on this last issue but almost there.

Once I am comfortable runnign vlite, making an iso/dvd and testing... I should be good enough to read all the forums to understand more advanced stuff.

Use a virtual machine for sure. Configure a virtual HDD to, let's say, 10GB of expanding storage and set it to boot from the ISO. This is very useful when you decide which components to remove, so you can test if everything is running fine before you do the real install on your PC. Burning a DVD will come as soon as you are satisfied with the results.

ok so I've figured out Suns virtual box and managed to create a 15 GB virtual hard drive.

I went ahead and installed my custom iso and after installing and booting the virtual vista machine it looks like I am using about 10 GB of hard drive space but I havn't even upgraded to SP2 yet.

Is there any way to get it smaller?

And will I be sacrificing anything by going smaller?

I went through the vlite components and diabled almost everything I thought wasn't necessary.

Ithought I heard about people getting vista down to 3 GB or so... does the OS at that size have any usefull functionality?

I dunno where to go from here.

Upgrading to SP2 before using vLite will replace/upgrade many of the components that are already a part of Vista, so the size will not be that much bigger.

The big issue for every user is what to remove, and the answer depends on the functionality that you want to keep, i.e. what you will use the OS for. Some people use it just for internet and music, so they remove plenty. That is why I advised you not to use other people's presets. So, go carefully through all the components and their descriptions. On the other hand, some people use vLite just to insert their serial key and make it unattended. There's nothing wrong in doing a few experiments in a virtual machine before you decide what fits you best.

Last thing, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini, which you will find in the root of your Vista folder, or in Program Files\vLite\Presets. It will give us a perspective on what you are doing, so more advices will follow.

Well, the file shows you have removed some "pretty safe to remove" components. From what I have found on google on Vista x64 install size, you have already reduced about 2GB. If there are language packs/keyboard layouts present on the CD, and you are not using them, you could also remove those. Just remember to start with a new/fresh Vista source every time before you use vLite. Last Session.ini remembers the steps you used the previous time, which makes it easier for you.

This is the MSFN link on how to integrate SP2 into your source http://www.msfn.org/...ws-vista-w-sp1/

Edit: sorry, you've already removed languages, I missed that

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

ok well now when I install on the virtual machine it looks like my vista is taking up about 5-6 GB of hard drive space.

I'm happy with that and going forward from here I would be seeing diminishing results. I originally just wanted a tight version to fit on my new OS drive... a 30 GB SSD.

Seems like this little vlite program is really cool. Thanks for all the help.

P.S. I was looking at SP2 for Vista and did not see really anything worth getting... so I won't be looking to incorporate SP2 into my ISO.

By the way, other than using a virtual machine to test OS installs from Vlite... a bit off topic... now that I know how to create them... is there any real cool or important use of a VM that I am missing?