Help needed with graphics card

hawkecho125

Hi all. Iv been having some trouble with my GPU, a Palit 9800gt 512mb green edition. It has always been troublesome whenever a switch to or from a 3d application has been made, but recently i installed windows 7 64bit and it has been crashing even in 2d games such as world of goo. can someone help me. i have installed 3 different drivers so far and none of them has made a difference. i will list my system specs and the details of my most recent error message bellow. thanks.

Specs:

CPU: intel C2D E7500, 2.93ghz, OC

MOBO: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L

PSU: Coolermaster 500w

RAM: Corsair XMS2 800mhz, 2gb

HDD: Samsung spinpoint F1, 1TB

GPU: Palit Nvidia 9800gt, 512mb, green edition

Error details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8001B3A4E0

BCP2: FFFFF8800F1A7A20

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

Thanks but im not willing to persue it that far, im already getting a new card anyway, id just like to be able to sell the old one on. If its any more help i got information from a crash report that looked to be a bit more in depth (or not, i really dont know what im on about so, yea):

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: nvcplui.exe

Application Version: 2.8.290.13

Application Timestamp: 4b4bf778

Fault Module Name: nvd3dumx.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.17.11.9621

Fault Module Timestamp: 4b4c09b1

Exception Code: c000041d

Exception Offset: 00000000003efa61

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 3081

Additional Information 1: 045f

Additional Information 2: 045f0cb1e9ca7252eb350df2ef0bdb46

Additional Information 3: fb4e

Additional Information 4: fb4ece9d00d3d15f1d8ffca80f292bb9

i hope that someone can see something in this info. also at present moment my screen has wrong coloured pixels all over the place. not in any particular order, one will just be the colour another should be and so on. This happened after trying to play garrysmod. any ideas?

Hi well you first need to check if it’s over heating download EVGA Precision and see what temps the card is running at. Also remember with newer video cards you need amps some as much as 60 amps on the 12 volt rail of a psu make sure your 500 watt psu will cover the power requirements if you get a new card. Also as Palit only offers a 1 year warranty on there cards I would go with evga or bfg for the life time warranty.

Also remember with newer video cards you need amps some as much as 60 amps on the 12 volt rail of a psu... ...Also as Palit only offers a 1 year warranty on there cards I would go with evga or bfg for the life time warranty.

720VA for a video card? No way it will go over, let's say, 280VA with even the most hungry non-commercial usage cards. As a side note, lifetime is 5 years ;).

Hi well you first need to check if it’s over heating download EVGA Precision and see what temps the card is running at. Also remember with newer video cards you need amps some as much as 60 amps on the 12 volt rail of a psu make sure your 500 watt psu will cover the power requirements if you get a new card. Also as Palit only offers a 1 year warranty on there cards I would go with evga or bfg for the life time warranty.

Heat is usualy 40-50 degrees celcius. And iv only had my computer for just over half a year so the warranty isnt an issue, it wasnt so bad on xp, on windows 7 however its a different story. also it draws power from the motherboard, there is no power conection on the card itself. here is a link to the cards Specs

Edited by hawkecho125

Hi yes when refering to video card specs and they say it needs 60 amps on the 12 volt rail that is the complete system runnning hd dvdrw and what ever else you have in there.We know that some may calculate the amount really needed but new users cant do that. So stick in 2 gtx295 in sli and run it on a 18 amps psu.Example a gtx 275 says it needs 40 amps to run right but thats the complete system the card may use 26 amps.Still cheap under powered supplys are not the way to go. Also no lifetime is not 5 years. APPLIES TO ALL GRAPHICS CARDS INTRODUCED BY BFG ON OR AFTER 2/21/08

BFG Technologies warrants to the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser (residing in the United States or Canada) owns the product. If you live outside canada or usa you get 10 years.

LOL 60 amps. Not really. I just looked on nvidia's website for the GTX295, it says at full load the card should use around 289W. Well, since W = V*A, you take 289 and divide it by 12, and you get the magic number of 24.08A.

That's clearly not 60. In fact, it's not even 60 for two.

In fact, i just checked the nvidia website for the GTX275 you mentioned, it uses 219W at full load. divide that by 12 to see the amps, and the magic number comes out to 18.25 amps.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers John305, but they aren't even close.

And Punto didn't mean definite lifetime of the card itself, but the average lifespan of a gamers card....but consumer electronics usually barely last 3 years, so 5 is shooting high, especially because most people get upgrade fever.

And Punto didn't mean definite lifetime of the card itself, but the average lifespan of a gamers card....but consumer electronics usually barely last 3 years, so 5 is shooting high, especially because most people get upgrade fever.

Well, I was talking about "Lifetime" warranty, it seems that BFG promises indeed a very long warranty, others won't see "Lifetime" as more than 5 years, but there is a hook, "BFG Technologies warrants to the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package", so, without the box your warranty is nil plus "original purchaser" looks like you have to register to get warranty. Never had a product from them, so never had an RMA on a BFG product.

Hi again well the 26 amps was a rough number but as for a gtx 275 running on a 18.25 amps 12 volt rail will not work. Im not sure of the number but what would that 12 volt rail put out in amps once the psu was hot I thought there was a 20 % drop and useing the max 18.25 amps would make it run hot.As for warranty evga is the same you have to register the product and have your recipt but you do with any rma product.I dont get rid of my old cards as im old i like to save everything and i have 4 pc's one is still running a ati 9500 pro card original fan everything on it. This system has a 6600 gt card i do have a gaming pc also but thats about all i use it for lol.And yes i admit I like to make sure everything has good clean power going to it more than is actually needed, might want to upgrade one day. I thank you for your responce i have learned a few new things.Oh and yes i still have the box and the games with all connectors that came with the 9500 pro lol

Edited by John305

I dont get rid of my old cards as im old i like to save everything and i have 4 pc's one is still running a ati 9500 pro card original fan everything on it.

You are not that old and it has also nothing to do with keeping the cards. I sell most of my older stuff when I still get a good price for it, but if it's over 3 years old, I just leave it where it is. I also say the same to my customers; A five year old system can't be much upgraded, better to keep it as it is and move on to the next system.

About the 20% loss; With switching power supplies, like we are talking about, the loss isn't that much. A average cheap PSU will still have 65% average efficiency, while the more efficient go over 80%. They are also made to resist hot operation and should be in specs up to 40°C / 104°F room (case, as it sucks the hot air trough the PSU) temperature.

Let's say that a 400W PSU has a efficiency of 72% and those 28% of the loss goes to heat, that would be 112W of heat, say a 125W bulb light. Now, note that it's not like a 125W bulb light inside that 150x150x92mm metal box as we also have a fan or two blowing over the electronics and not letting it heat up over 70°C as I see that more or less fatal for electronics to function well. Note, that most gaming systems with single Video Cards will not go over 300 in total, so in that case the loss will be 84W. If those 84W were from the 12V circuit (and it's not), it would be 7A, so forget the high numbers John ;). Not to prove you were wrong or so, just want to give a simple look on things so others can learn.

Any way... what happened to the OP? Seems we are hijacking his topic :P.

Hi yes im here to learn also. It seems everyone has a diffrent idea on power supplys so I just like to make sure i have room to upgrade. My gameing system is a q9450 at 3.2 gig 2 gtx 285 2x velociraptor 300 gig I may want the new 400 cards lol so it has a 1000 watt with 6 40 amp rails lol. But i dont really think its good to run at min spec anyway.The reason i mentioned the psu loss was on a diffrent forum a memeber said, Keep in mind that PS mfr's tend to be optimistic when rating PS's at temps that aren't realistic? Your 600 watts at 25C might be accurate, but at 40C, you might only be getting 300 watts?. So I take it that is very unrealistic and not correct.

Thank You for your Help

Darn I lost my post, writing it again:

Good information on PSUs can be found on silentpcreview.com. Note that older PSUs, say 5 years ago, would have had higher rated 3.3v and 5.0v lines while the new ones are rated at half the those rates, e.g. 20A for the newer PSUs and 40A for the older. Most cheap PSUs still are based on the old design thus leaving not much for the 12v rail (and from there X count 12v lines). Also newer PSUs have a higher rated 5vSB, that went from 1.5/2.0A to 2.5/3A and are used for the USB power.

Here for example you can see that they torture a good 400W PSUs with even using 400W on the 12v line, and you can see that the efficiency doesn’t go down much (note it pulls 500W from the wall outlet :)).

Anyway, look around on that site; it has a lot of useful info on it unlike other sites that just spread too much bull ;).

the OP went out the window, someone found a driver issue and then someone else suggested PSU.

anyway, Thats all nice but as I said before it runs off the motherboard. I figure what you were saying still applies but in a different way, perhaps the mobo simply cannot give the card the power it needs, not enough power running through the motherboard for it?, your thoughts... also if anyone else knows anything about the driver problem spotted before can they enlighten me as to whats going on... thx