Problems with Answer File and/or Sysprep

Hi,

Im trying to prepare a VistaHome installation for imaging but not everything goes as smooth as I was expecting.

Im starting the Vista in Audit Mode right after completing the initial installation.

In Audit Mode; I install applications that I want on my image. Mainly the windows updates, office pack and anti-virus software etc.

I also do some custom configuration both to windows and IE like, I turn off UAC, turning notifications from Security Center, some Startup & Recover changes etc.

According to my(limited) reading on the subject, the "Copy Profile" option in the answer file should let me carry out these configuration settings to my syspreped installation. However it does not!

I use WAIK v6.0.6001.18000 to create my answer file and I use the command "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprepvista32.xml" in audit mode to prepare my installation for imaging.

The problems Im having, after restarting my syspreped installation, are these.

- The UAC setting is turned on even though I have turned it off in Audit Mode.

- The Security Center keeps notifying even though I have turned it off in Audit mode.

I would like to remind you that I have the "<CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>" entry in my answer file.

- Each time I connect to a different network Im asked to choose the network type if it is home, work or public.

I have the "<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>" entry in myanswer file and I thought the vista will assume the network type will be "Home" by default whenever I connect to a network.

- IE8 keeps popping up the "Welcome Screen", even though I have the "<IEWelcomeMsg>false</IEWelcomeMsg>"entry in my answer file.

- The changes I have done in the Startup & Recovery setting; like not to restart after a blue screen etc.

I have also attached my answer file.

I would be very happy if someone can tell me whats going on, what Im doing wrong.

Thank...

sysprepvista.xml

Edited by hgurol

• 2 weeks later...

Well as far as I know, the Network Location setting is just for the network the PC will be on when installed. If you disconnect that and move to another network, it is going to prompt you again.

For some reason I feel like this question was asked before but I can't remember where.

According to my(limited) reading on the subject, the "Copy Profile" option in the answer file should let me carry out these configuration settings to my syspreped installation. However it does not!
No, copyprofile isn't going to overwrite settings that are considered user-specific (they'll be in the default profile if copyprofile worked, but you'll still run into most of the settings re-prompting), and I have never seen UAC disabled after sysprep. This is most likely by design.
The problems Im having, after restarting my syspreped installation, are these.

- The UAC setting is turned on even though I have turned it off in Audit Mode.

- The Security Center keeps notifying even though I have turned it off in Audit mode.

I would like to remind you that I have the "<CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>" entry in my answer file.

Again, see above. This seems to be by design - you'll have to run the command to disable UAC during OOBE or on FirstLogon when logging on as admin after sysprep completes. The same is likely true for Security Center getting reset by sysprep as well, regardless of CopyProfile settings.
- Each time I connect to a different network Im asked to choose the network type if it is home, work or public.
By design. The only thing you can do is force all networks to be considered public (which brings it's own set of issues when even a private local home network is treated as public), otherwise every new network has to be classified, and you will be prompted. This is by design.
I have the "<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>" entry in myanswer file and I thought the vista will assume the network type will be "Home" by default whenever I connect to a network.
Incorrect, and this doesn't even really do anything (there are bugs with this, even in Win7) that require some scripting on FirstLogon as admin to bypass.
- IE8 keeps popping up the "Welcome Screen", even though I have the "<IEWelcomeMsg>false</IEWelcomeMsg>"entry in my answer file.
I don't believe that this works if you slipstream IE8 into your install, as I've had this problem as well (dism sets up IE8 once the system is up, which is after the IEWelcomeMsg is applied - thus it gets reset). Importing the registry setting instead into the default user profile does seem to work though.
- The changes I have done in the Startup & Recovery setting; like not to restart after a blue screen etc.
This one I'm not sure on - it works for me in Win7, and I've not imaged Vista in awhile, so I wonder if this is another sysprep victim.