Can't rename a series of files (multiple files)

JoeGons

Hello,

I tried this.

To rename a series of files (From Windows Help)

1. Open My Documents.

If the series of files you want to rename is not located in My Documents or its subfolders, use Search to find it. To open Search, click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.

2. Select the files you want to rename.

3. On the File menu, click Rename.

4. Type the new name, and then press ENTER.

All of the files in the series will be named in sequence using the new name you type. For example, if you type Birthday, the other files in the series will be named Birthday (1), Birthday (2), and so on.

Notes

· To open My Documents, double-click the My Documents icon on your desktop.

· To select consecutive files or folders, click the first item, press and hold down SHIFT, and then click the last item. To select nonconsecutive files or folders, press and hold down CTRL, and then click each item.

· To specify the starting number for the series, type the starting number in parenthesis after the new file name. The files in the series will be numbered in sequence starting with the number you type. For example, if you type Birthday (10), the other files will be named Birthday (11), Birthday (12), and so on.

This does not work.

When I open a folder in Windows Explorer or My Documents\My Pictures and try to rename the files (jpg), I do not get a good result.

The first file is named “John.jpg” and the second is named “John (1).jpg” and the third, “John (2).jpg” etc.

Is there a way to get the FIRST file “John (1).jpg” and the second “John (2).jpg” etc?

I’m using XP Home SP3.

Thanks,

Joe

The simplest solution using the method you've described would be to copy one of the files.

Use that unwanted dummy file as the first in the series and when the rename is done delete that first file!

· To specify the starting number for the series, type the starting number in parenthesis after the new file name. The files in the series will be numbered in sequence starting with the number you type. For example, if you type Birthday (10), the other files will be named Birthday (11), Birthday (12), and so on.

it was all there. :yes: