Media Player 11 DVD playing problems.

bizzybody

I'm having a problem with Media Player 11 where it's impossible to play some DVDs. It won't work the menus correctly, the active spots won't highlight when the mouse cursor is moved over them and on DVDs that use an indicator graphic to show which is the currently selected button, it won't show that.

The latest ones I've tried that it can't play are the special edition Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the Firefly TV series. It's also doing this on most DVD's I've authored with several different programs, but every one MP11 has problems with work perfectly on DVD players and other DVD playing software.

The fix for *me* is easy, use something other than MP11, but when I send a DVD off to someone and all that person has on their PC is MP11 that won't play it, that's not a good thing at all.

Time for Media Player 12, eh? (I doubt MS will release the next major version for XP.)

I did more searching and found an MS KB article on it, says the problem happens when MP11 is not full screen but doesn't when it's full screen - and puts the blame on improperly formatted DVD menus.

Well that's utter bolloks! The DVDs don't work in full screen or not and they work perfectly fine on any other software or player. Thank you Microsoft for not giving a **** about fixing your buggy software.

I currently have VLC (v1.0) and the few dvd's I do have play flawlessly, menus & chapters.

WMP11 serves no purpose whatsoever, except perhaps the one nice thing that it can do, which is to embed cover art to an mp3 file.