If i upgrade to XP MCE 2005

seskanda

I have XP Media Center 2005 SP2, and would like to upgrade my XP Pro SP2 to it. But, i need to know if this will wipe out all my Windows security updates, etc. If so, will i be able to install them again? Actually, is there some way i can ONLY install the option to save/burn a movie to DVD via Movie Maker? Then, i could just leave everything else alone. Some help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Best to do a clean install, install sp3 and update your PC

BTW if you want to unattendedly turn off Plus components I think you can by adding this to your WINNT.SIF

[Components]
PlusSS=Off ; Screen Savers (turns off all)
PlusGold=Off ; Aquarium (screensaver)
PlusSpac=Off ; Space (screensaver)
PlusDavn=Off ; Da Vinci (screensaver)
PlusNatr=Off ; Nature (screensaver)
PlusMpix=Off ; My Pictures Premium (screensaver)
PlusDancer=Off ; Windows Dancer
PlusParty=Off ; Windows Party Mode
PlusAudio=Off ; Windows Audio Converter
PlusCDLM=Off ; Windows CD Label Maker
PlusTheme=Off ; Themes (turns off all exept Energy Blue)
WinPlus=Off ; Windows Digital Media Enhancements (just use this if you want to dissable ALL the above)

Hmmm... Theoretically, if you do as ricktendo64 states and recreate the MCE (using the changed file instead of original), you could boot to it and reinstall "over-the-top" using the MCE key, which would effectively save all of your settings etc, but require you to reinstall any MS updates (they get "wiped" during reinstall). Note that the "over-the-top" reinstall is only available when booting to the CD/DVD and not "live" (while running XP).

If you don't know how to use WINNT.SIF to disable the unwanted components you can also uninstall them from "Add or Remove Windows Components" later after install

Edited by ricktendo64