RT Seven Lite - RC build 1.7.0 and Beta build 2.6.0

in hope I'm not too annoying...

may I ask what version should be best used of rt7 just to trimm the size of install

the 1.7 or 2.6 ?

No annoyance :D The only difference between the two is that version 2.6 integrates service pack 1. Either one will do, though version 1.7 will suffice.

The 1.7 version has a new way to integrate the drivers; RT7 Lite puts the Nvidia drivers in a folder called CustDrivers in the Windows directory, They are installed only after you reboot the computer after installation. I prefer the old fashion way, but I guess it didn't work so well and he had to come up with an alternative method.

I would prefer the old fashion way as well. Once the Windows installation is completed and it boots into desktop, the video card driver is fully installed and no further tinkering is required.

The current method used by RT 7 Lite to integrate drivers do not work quite well for me. This problem happens in both of my computers, one with nvidia video card; the other with AMD video card. Once the Windows installation is completed and it boots into desktop, the video card driver is not yet installed. If I restart the computers, the integrated video card driver seems to "disappear" from it, as if no video card driver has been integrated.

To solve this problem, once the Windows installation is completed and it boots into desktop, I have to immediately open the Device Manager to access the video card. A prompt to restart Windows pops out. Only then, I shall restart the computer. Upon restart, only then the video card driver is fully installed.

It is quite frustrating for me. After all, the reason of using RT 7 Lite to slim down Windows, is to have everything (drivers, Windows Update and etc.) fully installed upon first bootup into desktop. For now, I have to perform extra steps of accessing Device Manager and restart the computer. These extra steps provide unnecessary inconvenience for me. :(

Guys, is there any way to solve my problem? Thanks for the advice given. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Just registered, this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I've been using RT7Lite to install W7 on a couple of netbooks, and it's been extremely useful. I did find a small bug.

Host system: Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise

RT 7 Lite version: 1.0.9

Target system: Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise

Steps to replicate:

1. Use RT7Lite to remove any component (I removed a language)

2. Apply and Commit the change

3. Make an ISO

4. Install on a test machine (physical or virtual)

5. Go to Control Panel->System and Security->System->Allow remote access OR Control Panel->System and Security->System->Advanced system settings->Remote

6. Enable Remote Desktop

7. Go to Control Panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall->Advanced Settings->Inbound Rules

*** 8. Scroll down, the item named "Remote Desktop (TCP-In)" in the "Remote Desktop" group will be missing

*** 9. Click on "New Rule...", select Predefined, the Remote Desktop item will be missing from the drop-down list.

Although the specific bug itself is easy to correct by creating a custom rule, there's no reason the entry should disappear from Windows Firewall, especially since all I did was to remove a language. It's an indication of some unwanted interaction occurring during the modification of the install files, and whatever it is may be creating other bugs that we just haven't seen yet. I'll keep testing and report back if I find anything else amiss.

Anyway, I'd like to thank ben for a really useful tool. Awesome job, dude. :D

For some reason the PC I installed with RT7Lite have the above 'bug'. It comes forward since I am unable to connect to any of my RT7Lite installs using Remote Desktop. I've searched google and this forum and my best guess is this.

I indeed have the above stuff missing. How would I create such a rule?

I have tried creating a program rule that points to: C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe and then allowing the connection. That didn't solve the problem. But perhaps I'm creating the wrong rule.

Have anyone else noticed that the RT Seven Lite and RT Server Customizer sites are currently down? Was going to customize a Server 2008 R2 installation but there is no where to download either the 1.7 or 2.6.0 BETA version ..

Have anyone else noticed that the RT Seven Lite and RT Server Customizer sites are currently down? Was going to customize a Server 2008 R2 installation but there is no where to download either the 1.7 or 2.6.0 BETA version ..

Yeah, both the sites are down. You can google it I am sure you would find those tools somewhere.

Edited by nice_guy75

The site is back up and running again now!

The 1.7 version has a new way to integrate the drivers; RT7 Lite puts the Nvidia drivers in a folder called CustDrivers in the Windows directory, They are installed only after you reboot the computer after installation. I prefer the old fashion way, but I guess it didn't work so well and he had to come up with an alternative method.

I would prefer the old fashion way as well. Once the Windows installation is completed and it boots into desktop, the video card driver is fully installed and no further tinkering is required.

The current method used by RT 7 Lite to integrate drivers do not work quite well for me. This problem happens in both of my computers, one with nvidia video card; the other with AMD video card. Once the Windows installation is completed and it boots into desktop, the video card driver is not yet installed. If I restart the computers, the integrated video card driver seems to "disappear" from it, as if no video card driver has been integrated.

To solve this problem, once the Windows installation is completed and it boots into desktop, I have to immediately open the Device Manager to access the video card. A prompt to restart Windows pops out. Only then, I shall restart the computer. Upon restart, only then the video card driver is fully installed.

It is quite frustrating for me. After all, the reason of using RT 7 Lite to slim down Windows, is to have everything (drivers, Windows Update and etc.) fully installed upon first bootup into desktop. For now, I have to perform extra steps of accessing Device Manager and restart the computer. These extra steps provide unnecessary inconvenience for me. :(

Guys, is there any way to solve my problem? Thanks for the advice given. :)

I haven't really figured the difference between the three types of drivers integration we've currently got.

You can go with:

#1: Integrate drivers without doing anything about them, just locate them and let them be.

#2: Integrate drivers and then select them afterwards and chose the option "Boot WIM Image Only".

#3: Integrate drivers and then select them afterwards and chose the option "Install WIM Image Only".

What difference does this really make? I figure that the SATA / RAID drivers should be boot integrated otherwise you might not see your hard drives at all. At least if you have chosen to remove the already included drivers that are within the Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 installation. Other than that I don't really know whether to select Boot or Install WIM? If I don't chose either of them does that mean they get integrated in BOTH the boot and install WIM? That seems like the optimal way to do things?

Secondly does anyone have some decent presents they could provide? Especially when trying to trim down Server 2008 R2 Enterprise things tend to get messy.. Windows7 is a bit easier but suddenly things like Windows Live Essentials 2011 refuses to install.

@bishop and voidphoenix

There are more bugs in 1.7

ex. Selecting Tweaked registry and change some from disabled to auto (remote desktop services) these changes are not saved in the settings file.

Then some services in automatict(delayed) are corrupt. (services\FontCache)

When dutch language pack is added. Next time to load rt7 and remove some packages or adding tweaks languagepack lang.ini is removed / changed.

Even when adding dutch languagepack lang.ini is generated incorrectly. (must say I use Win7 x64 SP1 integrated)

But now The Solution for the firewall rule problem :

export the firewall rules of a clean windows 7 install.

Use the exported rules in your customized installation.

OPTION 1: Custom firewall rule
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Remote Desktop (TCP-In)" program=System profile=public,private,domain dir=in localport=3389 protocol=tcp action=allow description="Inbound rule for the Remote Desktop service to allow RDP traffic. [TCP 3389]"

OPTION 2: Export original firewall rulez and import
netsh advfirewall export "c:\advfirewall.wfw"
netsh advfirewall import "c:\advfirewall.wfw"

Attachment original firewall rules Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Hope this solves one problem.

Glimmerman

advFireWall.zip

@bishop and voidphoenix

Hope this solves one problem.

Glimmerman

I was indeed able to solve the problem by using your firewall rules and importing them on my laptop and PC. Both work fine now and they both have the Remote Desktop item showing up in the application list.

Thanks for solving that problem. Let's hope this get's fixed in a possible future version.

Thanks Glimmerman.

Hello,

I have a stupid question about RT Seven Lite, I've tried to look in the faq on their website but the question still remains...

In the Features Removal section, on the Default Features side on the right, if the checkbox are checked does it mean that they are enabled? Or by checking them I disable them?

Both in the help and on the website it's not specified wether selected means disabled or enabled... :unsure:

On the website it says: "Default Features: Right side section shows you the complete list of windows default features which you can see after windows installation from Control Panel. You can either Enable or Disable a windows feature but this will not remove permanently from windows." But it's not clear if selecting enables or disables... :unsure:

So if I select Telnet Client will I enable or disable it?

Thanks

This app could be the answer to all my prayers as i've had so many issues trying to vLite a Win7 SP1 image, but i've noticed an annoying problem with each image I have made so far.

Everything seems to go smoothly during the integrations, modifying and saving processes but after installing I notice that the 'Users' group have been given full access to HKCR, HKLM/Software and HKLM/System which is an accident waiting to happen. I've tried changing the root permissions to read only but it doesn't change all of the subkeys. Using subinacl has similar results....probably due to me using a x64 version of Windows.

Does anyone know why this is happening...and more importantly, how to avoid it please?

I've checked on the RT7 Lite forums and someone else reported the issue a few months ago and the suggestion was that it was a result of using certain options in the 'Tweaks' section but i've made a few test images without using any tweaks at all and the problem is still present. I've also tried a couple of different versions (2.6.0.0 and 1.7.0).

Any help would be great.

Hello,

I have a stupid question about RT Seven Lite, I've tried to look in the faq on their website but the question still remains...

In the Features Removal section, on the Default Features side on the right, if the checkbox are checked does it mean that they are enabled? Or by checking them I disable them?

Both in the help and on the website it's not specified wether selected means disabled or enabled... :unsure:

On the website it says: "Default Features: Right side section shows you the complete list of windows default features which you can see after windows installation from Control Panel. You can either Enable or Disable a windows feature but this will not remove permanently from windows." But it's not clear if selecting enables or disables... :unsure:

So if I select Telnet Client will I enable or disable it?

Thanks

Checked = Enabled

Unchecked = Disabled

Same as you change on active windows where checked items are enabled.

Checked = Enabled

Unchecked = Disabled

Same as you change on active windows where checked items are enabled.

Thanks for the replies, I managed to make an OS only self installing DVD, now I was trying to automatically install Office 2010, 7-zip and adobe reader but the only one I was able to install was 7-zip. The office was not installed because the only file that was put in the image was the setup.exe... How can I tell RT Seven Lite to put in the DVD ISO all the office related files?

Another question: after I create an image all the controls for customizing the image are disabled and I have to quit and reopen, doing so I have to reload all the files from the original Win7 cd and reintegrate the SP1 which takes alot of time, is thereanother way to resume from where it was left?

I realize I may be asking dumb question but I wasn't able to find a manual for this program, there is one out there?

Thanks for your patience