RT Seven Lite - RC build 1.7.0 and Beta build 2.6.0

While selecting winsxs for removal a confirmation will be asked "Do you also want to remove .NEt Framework! If you click YES it will also be removed. If you select NO then .NET will not be removed. Updates will work....

Testing on a VM with only WinSXS removed, but keeping .NET.

Windows Update has been "installing" KB976662 for well over an hour now.

I found when I chose advanced mode(optimize boot.wim and install.wim),even I kept windows menual setup and windows easy transfer it still couldn't install Windows 7 in a running os(while the original windows7 can). how to solve this problem? thanks.

another question:can i remove workspace runtime,what's this component for?

i've posted this in Rockers Tema site. I posted again here just to make more people see this problem. hope this doesnt abuse.thanks

Edited by rewalax

While selecting winsxs for removal a confirmation will be asked "Do you also want to remove .NEt Framework! If you click YES it will also be removed. If you select NO then .NET will not be removed. Updates will work....

I was wondering about the importance of keeping winsxs (I mean, why would Microsoft make it a part of their operating system if it's not needed), so I did a google search and I came up with the link below:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html (this link explains winsxs relative to Vista, but I do believe that Windows 7 has the exact same purpose for the folder)

Here is the last paragraph taken from the document in the link above:

"There have been several blogs and even some “underground” tools that tell you it’s ok to delete the WinSxS directory, and it’s certainly true that after installation, you can remove it from the system and it will appear that the system boots and runs fine. But as described above, this is a very bad practice, as you’re removing the ability to reliably service, all operating system components and the ability to update or configure optional components on your system. Windows Vista only supports the WinSxS directory on the physical drive in its originally installed location. The risks far outweigh the gains removing it or relocating it from the system, given the data described above."

Not sure the accuracy of all this, but I thought I'd just let you guys know!

i think it make sense.

I found when I removed winsxs I counldnt install my network driver in beta 1.0.9(havent tested in 1.1.0). So I think winsxs must have a reason to be a part of the os.

Can anybody tell me what is breaking the Homegroup functionality? See image below. Also attached is my inf file. Awesome new build Ben!!!

Try setting the following services to start automatically, and reboot:

Peer Name Resolution Protocol

Peer Networking Grouping

Peer Networking Identity Manager

PNRP Machine Name Publication Service

Edited by Bilar Crais

Can anybody tell me what is breaking the Homegroup functionality? See image below. Also attached is my inf file. Awesome new build Ben!!!

Try setting the following services to start automatically, and reboot:

Peer Name Resolution Protocol

Peer Networking Grouping

Peer Networking Identity Manager

PNRP Machine Name Publication Service

Thanks Bilar! Still not working after reboot. Maybe there is another service? Do you know if Homegroup is any better than using workgroup (with permissions) for security with file sharing?

Edited by jadtunrau

Thanks Bilar! Still not working after reboot. Maybe there is another service? Do you know if Homegroup is any better than using workgroup (with permissions) for security with file sharing?

I've never used it myself. As far as I can tell, it's just a wizard driven way of sharing files, as opposed to having to manually configure what you want to share. I get along fine with the traditional method of file sharing.

True, as Bilar says its just a way of sharing files, the pictures, video and music folder in your userfolder..

Altho i also prefer "traditional" filesharing.

Even better would be to keep homegroup intact even after removing other stuff.

Ok i've tested the new release on a original release untouched of 7.I've selected the sxs removal but keeping the Framework. Created ISO but su WU remain the problem also deleting the pending.xml files. Half of the total update are installed. Ramain half not for one error below:

ric2si.jpg

So i can retry to keek the sxs folder.

BYe

Edited by Zumoc

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Oh sorry bensam56 !

I see that I've forgotten to translate some lines!

Now it's fixed with the new translated French file:

resource.fr-FR.zip

Thanks and Regards!

Hello bensam56 :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for this new release! :thumbup

I see some new lines that I can translate in French!

And I've made a new resource.fr-FR.zip because inside the first one I've forgotten some transaltion.

Could you please give me the new resource.en-US?!

Because it appears that some text are new! Thanks a lot.

You can see Images here!

Regards

Edited by myselfidem