RT Seven Lite - RC build 1.7.0 and Beta build 2.6.0

Why do you want to delete the UAC?

We only offer you the advantages and comuqnue disabled once installed the operating system.

Say what? :wacko:

However, if I remember correctly, I believe that in 7 there is also andvanced UAC. Right?

Correct, so... what's your point?

Have some quikies

Running 7lite x64.

The bug when trying to alt+tab or using mouse to find rt7lite in the back with maximize and minimizing in rt7lite still appears in 1.0.6, it just says ding and the rt7lite window wont appear.

Another thing.

Can u make the selection windows more advanced as im trying to metion in this picture for everything in rt7lite?.. I hate the file selection thing on the right side. It totally sucks because you cant write the path, you always have to navigate the the place, its much easyr and faster just to write it in text.

Also the temporary patch selction could be nice if you could make it remember the paths like when selection the .iso or windows source folder, in the topp of your tool :).

Heres the picture for navigating files im talked about :).

I thought, what happens if you remove the UAC and not the UAC Advanced?. I never tried because i never had problems with the UAC, and then I never removed. So my question is this: Why remove something that has no problem to leave it?. If we talk about Vista and Vlite,i had trouble removing the UAC because nothing works. Therefore considering giving only advantages ,i do not think to remove it and does not want much space.

Edited by Zumoc

After RT7Liting an image I got a decent build with a few minor mistakes like personalize menu not working properly and such, stuff I don't mind at all.

The one problem I have is this really annoying start menu object that wont go away, I removed "Help" from the component remover in RT7Lite so it is not installed.

The entry for it in "Customize" is not even there so I don't have a way to remove these.

So I am wondering if there is anyone who just happens to be a start menu wiz that wouldn't mind helping me out? :D

37396893.png

which build version ur using?

Windows 7 Ultimate.

I thought, what happens if you remove the UAC and not the UAC Advanced?. I never tried because i never had problems with the UAC, and then I never removed. So my question is this: Why remove something that has no problem to leave it?. If we talk about Vista and Vlite,i had trouble removing the UAC because nothing works. Therefore considering giving only advantages ,i do not think to remove it and does not want much space.

My personal opinion is that UAC is extremely annoying if one knows exactly what he's doing, hence I want it removed. Even though UAC is less prominent in W7 compared to Vista, I think lots of people will want to remove it as well, although for the wrong reasons (the bad reputation UAC has given itself with Vista). Hence its removal being an extra security risk because of an unadvertised change in the default credentials should be investigated. Third, I'm an absolute minimalist: whatever I don't absolutely need and can remove, will be removed. This goes all the way to stripped drivers etc.

..... I'm an absolute minimalist: whatever I don't absolutely need and can remove, will be removed. This goes all the way to stripped drivers etc.

I concur. Pity, the removal components process still gives me some gripes. I've tried to get rid of WMP and Games just to name a few but to no avail.

I agree. I too am a minimalist but not a memory issue but a matter of "frills" that besides being unnecessary for me, could make potential problems or occupy space on the disk. Consider that I do not use the swap file even when I play. I have 4gb and I've never seen the limit. It 'true that the UAC has had a bad reputation with Vista, but Seven is different. I do not think it's worth it to remove all those little apps that can boot without your knowledge. Rather Win remove Defender I saw him once when I was running without AV. I know people who have removed the UAC and have set the user "Administrator" by default. This is to avoid creating more users than necessary. Certainly you can do but use an account as Admin without UAC and everything is stupidly risky. Anyway just my thoughts and everyone must do as they please.However, even if we remove these components, something always remains. For example, icons that do not open anything because it was removed.

I agree. I too am a minimalist but not a memory issue but a matter of "frills" that besides being unnecessary for me, could make potential problems or occupy space on the disk. Consider that I do not use the swap file even when I play. I have 4gb and I've never seen the limit. It 'true that the UAC has had a bad reputation with Vista, but Seven is different. I do not think it's worth it to remove all those little apps that can boot without your knowledge. Rather Win remove Defender I saw him once when I was running without AV. I know people who have removed the UAC and have set the user "Administrator" by default. This is to avoid creating more users than necessary. Certainly you can do but use an account as Admin without UAC and everything is stupidly risky. Anyway just my thoughts and everyone must do as they please.However, even if we remove these components, something always remains. For example, icons that do not open anything because it was removed.

my approach to this is that i always run from the built in administrator account and have UAC turned off. i am behind a hard ware firewall and run the windows built in firewall plus i run NOD32 for security. i set UAC to the off position via rt7lite. there is place in there to just turn it off, not sure if you guys know that or not. thewalrus, there is new version in testing so bensam should be releasing something soon.

I was just playing with 1.06. When integrating drivers using the "multiple drivers" button, if you select folder with no subfolders in it, the program fails to read anything and the popup window is empty, resulting in having to go at it again and selecting a folder one level up (or use single driver button).

Also, when you want to delete all the drivers you selected for some reason, I believe it would be nice if you could select everything in the list with Ctrl+A combo. Shift+Home/End works too, but you have to be at either beginning or the end. Given how humans are naturally lazy, I would like this implemented very much :)

Btw how does the integration work? Those drivers that are incompatible with the hardware on given machine are simply skipped?

edit: In components removal section, what does grey items mean? I know the red color means it is dependant on something else, but the former is not mentioned.

Also, when you select only some of the components in one specific category for removal, it would be nice to visually notify the user. I belive it was done by showing a black square in the selection box instead of standard tick (or the other way around), or however is that char called.

Edited by TheWalrus

my approach to this is that i always run from the built in administrator account and have UAC turned off. i am behind a hard ware firewall and run the windows built in firewall plus i run NOD32 for security. i set UAC to the off position via rt7lite. there is place in there to just turn it off, not sure if you guys know that or not. thewalrus, there is new version in testing so bensam should be releasing something soon.

Ok for turn off the UAC but not to definitifely uninstall. Also i set the UAC,Firewall & windefender off.However we are still talking quite free of personal taste. I do not think there is a setting better than the other but there may be a setting that suits your needs.

..... I'm an absolute minimalist: whatever I don't absolutely need and can remove, will be removed. This goes all the way to stripped drivers etc.

I concur. Pity, the removal components process still gives me some gripes. I've tried to get rid of WMP and Games just to name a few but to no avail.

Didn't try to remove WMP (would that work without the loss of WMV support within browsers?)

Games can be removed without a problem. If they're not removed, then you have the same problem as I described earlier: most of the times the removal process leaves a couple of components untouched, even though they were selected for removal. Really strange.

Certainly you can do but use an account as Admin without UAC and everything is stupidly risky.

Not when you know what you're doing. I've been running systems without any antivirus/antispyware software installed for years now, just know your sources well.

However, even if we remove these components, something always remains. For example, icons that do not open anything because it was removed.

That shouldn't be the case. For as much as I know, apart from the 'Help' and 'Default Programs' in the Start menu which remain after component removal, most other shortcuts (I think you meant shortcuts, rather than icons?) are nicely removed together with the components.

edit: In components removal section, what does grey items mean? I know the red color means it is dependant on something else, but the former is not mentioned.

When a feature is ENABLED in the features pane on the right, then it's grayed in the component removal pane, as it cannot be removed. If a component is selected for removal, then the corresponding feature is grayed on the right. This should be intuitive, but as of yet it is extremely buggy, possibly causing or being part of the problem with components not being removed.

Also, when you select only some of the components in one specific category for removal, it would be nice to visually notify the user. I believe it was done by showing a black square in the selection box instead of standard tick (or the other way around), or however is that char called.

+1

i am behind a hard ware firewall and run the windows built in firewall plus i run NOD32 for security. i set UAC to the off position via rt7lite. there is place in there to just turn it off, not sure if you guys know that or not.

Why would you run a double firewall setup?

I'm aware of the UAC option within RT7Lite, yeah, but I'd rather have it removed. I was just wondering if my observations with its removal could be verified.

Edited by Guillaume

Oh thanks for clearing that up.

But I must say it is not intuitive at all :D

Btw how comes the whole process takes SO long? I mean I have been stuck at Disabling feature for like an hour already. And nothing is happening, HDD is not doing jack, and I do not see anything going on in Task manager either.

Another thing I would like to see is possibility to save a preset anytime I like. No idea how it works now.

Oh thanks for clearing that up.

But I must say it is not intuitive at all :D

If it would've worked instantly, I think you'd gotten the hang of it, but since it's buggy it sometimes seems to appear out of the blue ;)

Btw how comes the whole process takes SO long? I mean I have been stuck at Disabling feature for like an hour already. And nothing is happening, HDD is not doing jack, and I do not see anything going on in Task manager either.

That's not good, I think you can cancel it and start again :P

Then again, that'll mean you will have to select all the components and configure all the settings again, since RT7Lite doesn't save the .inf before, but after the process... I'd rather see that fixed and the inclusion of a log file if the problem of components not being removed persists. That'll save a lot of work if something happens to go wrong during the process.

Another thing I would like to see is possibility to save a preset anytime I like. No idea how it works now.

There you go, didn't read that in time :P +1