Windows 7 Freezes

HawkAgent

I've recently reformatted my HD and installed Windows 7, since then I've been getting freezes at random moments. Sometimes I can use the PC for many hours straights without problems, however sometimes the freeze happens just few minutes after boot. The freezes look like this: I can still move the cursor, but when I click start or if I want open a new program nothing happens, however when I was running MFC when freezing and it was still playing a video, I can still watch the entire video without problem, I can even rewind back to watch it again, also I can still move the MFC window.

Hence, I suspect this occurs due to HD failures? Any tools out there that I can use to check that?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds more like a program is taking priority over Explorer. What kind of resources do you have?

- Hard drive free space

- total memory

- number of processes (look in task manager)

Thanks for the reply.

I have one HD, partition 1 (C:) has 7,50GB free space out of 20 GB, partition 2 (D:) has 178 GB free space of 278 GB

I have 2 GB RAM

Number of processes according to task manager including firefox and MSN: 44

There are many programs you can run to test your hard drive. Certain drives have specific tools available, such as SeaTools for Seagate, WD Tools for Western Digital. Take a look at your Event Viewer and see if you have any suspect errors or warnings in there.

I've recently reformatted my HD and installed Windows 7, since then I've been getting freezes at random moments. Sometimes I can use the PC for many hours straights without problems, however sometimes the freeze happens just few minutes after boot. The freezes look like this: I can still move the cursor, but when I click start or if I want open a new program nothing happens, however when I was running MFC when freezing and it was still playing a video, I can still watch the entire video without problem, I can even rewind back to watch it again, also I can still move the MFC window.

Hence, I suspect this occurs due to HD failures? Any tools out there that I can use to check that?

Thanks in advance!

Check to see that you have the latest drivers for your hardware. I would suspect display drivers. Can you ctl/alt/del and bring up task manager after a freeze? If so, you can usually end the program that may be hanging the system. It does not always come up immeduately.

If you were having HDD I/O blocking, you'd start backing up IRPs, and that video of yours would probably have hung (especially when rewinding). Given what a HDD failure or lockup does to Windows, your symptoms don't match.

I'm with other posters, this is much more likely a driver issue, although I would wager it isn't a video driver issue (again, the video example seems to dispel this - you would likely have seen artifacts and ghosting). What has been installed on the system, driver and software-wise, above and beyond Windows 7?

I've recently reformatted my HD and installed Windows 7, since then I've been getting freezes at random moments.

Install the Intel chipset and storage drivers. I was having this same issue until I did that.