How to insert drivers for new Raid Controller

halhein

So, I'm running XPpro-sp3. Or at least I was :} My Sil 3114 sata raid controller died. Or there may be an intermittent problem with one of the drives. That's all just background. To the point, I imaged the striped array the day before I had the failure. So I have a current backup and I have another raid controller with HHDs. This controller is a 3ware though. So, of course restoring the image to this controller and array doesn't leave me with an operable system. Years ago, working with NT I dumped an IDE drive in a box with a similar scenario. Installed NT to that Drive and then proceeded to copy in the appropriate drivers to the array, and, wa la I had the system up and running from the array. Unfortunately, I do not recall the exact process. It seems to me that it involved renaming one of the driver files, but that is all I can recall. If someone cane direct me to step by step instructions for doing so in XP (assuming there may be some difference in the process between NT and XP). Any and all help appreciated.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

hal

1. Add a third, single drive (IDE, if possible). Leave the new RAID connected.

2. Restore your image to that single drive and boot. Install the new driver (RAID will be recognized).

3. Backup again the modified system again (don`t overwrite your first backup).

4. Disconnect the single drive and restore the newer image to your RAID and and boot.

5. Keep fingers crossed...

5. Keep fingers crossed...

Fingers and legs as well as brushing up the old rabbits foot and the strategically place rubber chicken behind the computer (most important part of the procedure) :thumbup

All worked as planned :D

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Hal