New network: 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1..?

It's mostly that. 10.0.0.0/8 allows for a LOT of hosts and fancy subnetting. There's really no point if it's a home network or small business.

There are other ranges as well e.g. 172.16.0.0/12, but to stick with the basics 192.168.0.0/16 works fine. Personally, I don't use 192.168.0.x nor 192.168.1.x as they are too often used by other networks which makes it a pain when it comes to VPNs and such, but you can easily pick 192.168.2.x or 192.168.3.0 or whichever you like instead.

It's mostly that. 10.0.0.0/8 allows for a LOT of hosts and fancy subnetting. There's really no point if it's a home network or small business.

Technically speaking, yes, no point on a home network, "UNLESS" you want to be able to type your addresses by hand. having single number octets is quicker.

I use 10.1.1.1 / 255.255.255.0

Edited by MrJinje

Agreed - I personally use 172.22.x.x/24, but that's because I've seen most home/smb networking equipment try to use a class C either at 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x, so I avoid those ranges due to the VPN connections I make. Just avoid using 172.16.0.0/12 or 10.0.0.0/8 for a home network - make sure you are breaking them down (any range) into a proper class C (or smaller) for a home network.

If you VPN from one RFC1918 network to another with the same IP range, you'll have trouble routing packets between the two networks (hosts will be the same IPs on both - not good for VPN).

• 2 years later...

A drawback connected with just about all non-public IPs will be the point those help make the link non-routable with out NAT. Additionally, a number of people like 192.168.1.1 being an Internet protocol address since it has been discovered to generally be really best for a effortless circulation of information and facts throughout the internet connection. One can possibly also have the identical number just as the number intended for the network gateway, whilst starting the Internet protocol properties. The easy to access characteristics of this particular IP may also turn into a downside if a person requires anything a somewhat more secure and safe. A thing that must be talked about at this point is that implementing 192.168.1.1 is regarded as being fairly secure as it can cause you to significantly less at risk of protection risks at the net. In terms of 192-168-01.com an individual's odds of acquiring assistance on-line is also very substantial because of its popular utilise all across the planet.

Understanding the Internet protocol address gets to be a need especially when you are wanting to set up and attach a wireless router. In case the IP of the switch is normally 192.168.1.1 now the starting point to consider is to type http://192.168.1.1/ inside your browser’s address bar striking enter on the keyboard. As soon as your internet browser brings you to the Logon page, type in the required information and also access to the admin control unit. Right here you will discover the setup configurations. Generate the required adjustments just before saving as well as getting out. In the event that situations are especially damaged on your side, you will have to determine the complication and also diagnose appropriately.