How repear MBR after apply Image with HTA?

Sacriestory

Hi everyone, Now my deploy servers needs support 3 diferentes enviroments I need apply Windows XP, Vista and Seven from the same server, I resolved this issue with differents boot.wim for each operating system. but i have another problem, with this mixed enviroment the MBR starts to being a nightmare, I try call the command "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" from my Z: drive after the image applies but i recived the message "Acces Denied" instead of repair the mbr. in other test if i call this command from X:\windows\system32 a popup appears with the legend Bootrec is not a valid win32 application. to be clear, I copied this file in the hard way to my Z: drive, where my Z drive is my share folder in my server. So, How i can repair the mbr of each machine automatically after each image aplication?

All this over Windows 2003 and Winpe 2.0

Again. Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Sacriestory

Try running the program off the RAMDISK. This means that if you do not have this app in your X:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 then you should copy it in there. But this is interesting, I use 1 PE (Win PE 3.0 x64) to deploy XP, Vista, 7, 2003 and 2008 with out even having to write to the MBR.

Try running the program off the RAMDISK. This means that if you do not have this app in your X:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 then you should copy it in there. But this is interesting, I use 1 PE (Win PE 3.0 x64) to deploy XP, Vista, 7, 2003 and 2008 with out even having to write to the MBR.

Thanks

in other test if i call this command from X:\windows\system32 a popup appears with the legend Bootrec is not a valid win32 application

another suggest?

ho, that´s because bitlocker and safeboot I use to encript the machines and as you know this aplications replaces the mbr for another one, i suppose that´s the reason of my issue.

I fear that if, I used the command bootsect.exe /NT60 ALL /Force, the comand replace successfull the mbr but when i try to start Windows still have the message. "bootmgr missing"

Hey peeps, can you please read this:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/bootsectexe-modifies-the-bootsector-not-the-mbr/

then re-read attentively:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749177(WS.10).aspx

and then convince yourselves that although the MS guys used a set of very confusing terms:

Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions to switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot sector on your computer. This tool replaces FixFAT and FixNTFS.

the "master boot code for hard disk partitions" is the CODE in the bootsector or PBR and NOT the MBR (which bootsect.exe won't even touch)

The MBR is the Master Boot Record and it is accessible through the \\.\PhysicalDriveN kind of object ONLY.

The PBR is the partition bootrecord and it is accessible through a drive letter (LogicalDrive).

The normal MBR does NOT contain code invoking ANY loader, it simply loads first sector (the PBR or bootsector) of the active partition found in it's partition table.

The PBR or bootsector contains code invoking a loader like NTLDR or BOOTMGR.

Bootsect.exe only changes the code in the PBR or bootsector of the partition addrtessed by a volume letter.

jaclaz

I fear that if, I used the command bootsect.exe /NT60 ALL /Force, the comand replace successfull the mbr but when i try to start Windows still have the message. "bootmgr missing"

Hey peeps, can you please read this:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/bootsectexe-modifies-the-bootsector-not-the-mbr/

then re-read attentively:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749177(WS.10).aspx

and then convince yourselves that although the MS guys used a set of very confusing terms:

Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions to switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot sector on your computer. This tool replaces FixFAT and FixNTFS.

the "master boot code for hard disk partitions" is the CODE in the bootsector or PBR and NOT the MBR (which bootsect.exe won't even touch)

The MBR is the Master Boot Record and it is accessible through the \\.\PhysicalDriveN kind of object ONLY.

The PBR is the partition bootrecord and it is accessible through a drive letter (LogicalDrive).

The normal MBR does NOT contain code invoking ANY loader, it simply loads first sector (the PBR or bootsector) of the active partition found in it's partition table.

The PBR or bootsector contains code invoking a loader like NTLDR or BOOTMGR.

Bootsect.exe only changes the code in the PBR or bootsector of the partition addrtessed by a volume letter.

jaclaz

Hi good day. well yesterday I made some test with the commands that suggest me, but in all commands I recieve the same message "access Deny" with the same result executing the command from my virtual drive than ramdrive, what could be wrong in my boot image?