XP Home repair

roboboy

I have an xp home machine that needs repairing. What settings should I use? I need to use nLite as my system will not let me enter my product key in the install using either a PS/2 or USB keyboard.

I need to use nLite as my system will not let me enter my product key in the install using either a PS/2 or USB keyboard.

So by repair, you mean total reinstallation, right? But can you please elaborate on that keyboard problem? Do you use a standard XP install disk? Is the keyboard not wortking at that stage ? Is it working before (text part, partition choices)? Is the mouuse working? nLite doesn't add much as such so I'm curious how you think it would transform a cd that doesn't work in one that works unless you are aware drivers are missing and you plan to add them.

When I say repair, I mean select repair existing install. In the first text section of the install my keyboard works but in the second half neither the mouse nor keyboard work. I am hoping nLite can be used to set values for all the options that I would have to use the keyboard for.

I have done a couple of repairs (several years ago) and I seem to remember that I was prompted for a key. Why don't you want to enter a key? Do you not have it? NLite will not create a CD that does not require a key. Either you enter it when you run nLite or when you do the install. Enjoy, John.

I have my Windows XP Home Edition CD and Product Key. I wish to repair the install by selecting my install that setup finds and asks if I would like to overwrite or repair. The problem is that when I select that and the machine reboots into the graphical section of Setup, I can not enter my product key using either a PS/2 or USB keyboard. I am hoping that nLite with the right options set, I can avoid this issue because nLite will already have my product key entered.

Back to -X-'s post #2. Choose Unattended and Create Bootable ISO. In the Unattended section choose the Prompt Repair mode and enter your Product Key, and then create an ISO which you can test with a virtual machine before actually trying the repair, checking whether Setup will actually offer Repair mode as an option.

It would be best if you made the nLited CD on a machine with XP as a host (I see you have Win7 x64). I'm wondering if you could also use this OS, as you are not slipstreaming any service packs (which seems to be a common problem for some users with Win7 and Vista trying to make an XP CD).

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

I tried making the ISO from an XP VM and I get a Security Acounts Manager error when the GUI part of setup starts. The message is barely visible as the PC restarts emediately.

Have you done anything to remove SAM? Please post your LastSession.ini. Also, take a look at this article

I have not done anything to remove SAM. Here is my lastsession.ini . I shall try and restore my sam file from a backup to the location that article says to.

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by roboboy

Unless you did something weird, that error of not being able to use a keyboard just popped up on a lot of XP home right after the first of the month. I mylef, and in the middle of trying to fix it, as after I finally got the keyboard to work, before using nlite, I know get the stop code 7b error. (I know three people that all have the problem - as support is telling them to do a total restore. I stopped them.)

If I get it working I will post it here.

If you did something to make it not work, please ignore.

For repairing needs i use a XPCD with no Unattended Settings in it.

I prepare my XPCD with SP3 and Updates (nLite), then just burn the ISO.

So every option (Repair, etc.) is still available. There is NO "winnt.sif" on that XPCD.