HELP, external HDD gone stupid

the last time that was happends to my HDD it was a virus.

Try to open your HDD with explorer, make a backup and format your HDD.

Scan your HDD for spyware/viruses and put your data back on the hdd.

It usually happens when autorun.inf gets infected with a virus. Your antivirus deletes it, which makes explorer.exe confused about properly reading the HD and its contents. You can open the contents through the "Folders" option of the "Standard buttons" or if you right-click it and use "Explore". If you have some program like Total Commander it will work as well.

I agree with nicasius on the solution.

Well, I don't. :ph34r:

Obviously one must clean his system from any virus BEFORE formatting anything, who knows if the format will be effective or if it will be a fake one modified by the Virus?

But then, once the HD's BOTH internal and external ones are clean from virii, there is NOT one reason in the world to actually format anything.

jaclaz

I've had this problem more than once, mostly on USB flash media, until MS released the patch to prevent Autorun for CD/DVD and removable drives. So, to make everyone's mind at ease, the order of things should probably go like this:

1. scan HDD for viruses (scan My Computer if you think it's necessary);

2. copy/backup data on affected HDD;

3. format problematic HDD;

4. put data back;

5. scan again if you want to

But then, once the HD's BOTH internal and external ones are clean from virii, there is NOT one reason in the world to actually format anything
Maybe so, but then you're lucky. In my experience, drives will not open correctly until formatted.

Cheers

Well, I don't. :ph34r:

Obviously one must clean his system from any virus BEFORE formatting anything, who knows if the format will be effective or if it will be a fake one modified by the Virus?

But then, once the HD's BOTH internal and external ones are clean from virii, there is NOT one reason in the world to actually format anything.

jaclaz

Sorry my sequence isnt right.

I mean.

First: Scan your HDD with an virus scanner.

Second: Make a backup

Last: Format and restore your HDD.

EDIT: So Spoiledbrat is right.

Edited by nicasius