Setting up workgroup as Home Computer

Greek Teacher

In XP Pro I had no problem setting up a Workgroup without a Domain. In Win 7 Pro, Win 7 refuses to allow a non-domain workgroup to be set up as a Home computer; it forces the system into a Business Network ID. Very frustrating, as I cannot get full access of all normal files and folders from system to system on a simple 2 system Windows 7 Pro network.

Is there a step by step set of directions from some source to accomplish this. In Win 7 RC (Ultimate) I was able to do this with no problem. The accessibility issue began when I installed the licensed Win 7 Pros.

Also, if there are any settings which would prevent this type of access. BTW, I despise the new "HOMEGROUP" system; it does not allow full access to all normal folders and files in User settings or other HD folders.

This is a real pain when I have to sync files and folders from desktop to laptop for off-site use, or for normal backups from system to system.

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure what you mean, its my understanding you can use a workgroup just as before, or a homegroup if you want. Maybe there's a policy on your computer preventing this?

To be honest, setting the workgroup doesn't do anything for a home network. You can have different computers set to different workgroup names and still you can access each computer.

In Windows 7, I think you're problem might be - you need to change password-level access to user-level access. This will allow you to have the same username on different computers access files on different computers without entering a password. This setting is in the network and homegroups settings somewhere buried in there. Right now, I can give you exact location but look in there and change password level to user account level access (something like that).

Perhaps this is what you're looking for: go to network and sharing options. click on "advanced sharing settings" on left. under HomeGroup connections, change to "User user accounts ...."

This will allow you to share more folders than that in your homegroup list.