Transfer email messages

mike13

I am not having much luck transferring / copying my email messages from one computer (Windows Mail, in Vista) to (Outlook 2007, Windows 7). So I am doing it the old fashioned way I used several times in the past. I located all the email locations in Windows Explorer etc which was usually Mike / Appl. Data / Local / microsoft / Windows mail / local folders. There I would see Inbox / Outbox, Sent, Deleted, Drafts, etc. I would then copy all those folders to a floppy, and then find the appropriate place on the new computer, and just copy all those folders to the new computer, and wa la. All the old folders including all the email messages were now on my new computer. I have all the folders copied on a floppy, but where is the correct place in Windows Explorer to copy them ??? Thanks, Mike

I'm not familiar with the windows Mail format - i assume it is like the Outlook Express dbx files. While its true you could manually copy the dbx files from one user/computer to another and OE would pick them up, its a completely different story with Outlook.

If Mail works like OE then you can transfer them to;

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\

start up windows mail and you should have all your email, then start Outlook and i believe it should detect a 'new' email account and ask if you want to import at which point you would say yes.

TwoJ...Thanks for the reply, but Outlook 2007 is on a second computer. I am having no luck Exporting the messages from the old compter. I am using the export / import wizard, etc. and on Windows mail, it does go through the process of exporting all the email folders, but I have no idea where they are being exported to. It never asks me to insert a floppy or a flash drive to export the messages to. Now, I have copied the email folders (the old way) to a flash drive, however when i try the IMPORT feature on Outlook 2007, it never asks me where to look.

I'm not familiar with the windows Mail format - i assume it is like the Outlook Express dbx files. While its true you could manually copy the dbx files from one user/computer to another and OE would pick them up, its a completely different story with Outlook.

If Mail works like OE then you can transfer them to;

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\

start up windows mail and you should have all your email, then start Outlook and i believe it should detect a 'new' email account and ask if you want to import at which point you would say yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike

If i understand correctly you are trying to export from Windows mail on one computer and have those emails imported into outlook on a 2nd computer?

As i said, i haven't used windows mail so i don't know the format it uses.

If you are trying to find where WM (Windows Mail) is storing your emails do a search through the computer for the extention (*.dbx for Outlook Express) and/or look in the default locations.

If you've copied the files you need to dump them into the folder for WM mentioned in my other post - then make sure WM has the emails in it. After that close WM and open outlook and then do the import from 'internet mail and addresses'

you probably can look for some info from MS to show how to do it as well