how do i slipstream just the new drivers into xp

karlos4

everytime i try and slipstream the drivers i need into xp it loads pretty much everything into that folder, how do i prevent this?

By removing the unneeded lines manually before you go to the next screen.

ok, i am using latest version of nlite, i have made a new xpcopy folder on desktop, i have used nlite to copy xp into this folder, i have selected next, single driver, highlighted all the drivers, highlighted boot disk, and pressed proceeed, when the program then integrates the drivers it copies all the hard drive into the new xp folder, what am i doing wrong, thanks in advance, karl

karlos4, do you have a Last Session.ini? If so, please attach it, if not, please say so. It is found in the source folder you created and in the C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets. What is "xpcopy folder"? You should start with an empty folder and have nLite copy the Windows CD into the empty folder. Are you copying your files/folders from your running machine? Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Have you read the Guides here?

Edited by johnhc

i have made a new xpcopy folder on desktop, i have used nlite to copy xp into this folder, i have selected next, single driver, highlighted all the drivers, highlighted boot disk, and pressed proceeed, when the program then integrates the drivers it copies all the hard drive into the new xp folder, ...

I'm guessing ("guessing" is the operative word here) that the name of the working folder is "xpcopy".

what I don't understand is three points:

1. how did you select "Single driver" and then highlight all drivers (do you mean all the files belonging to the driver?);

2. how do you copy the contents of the entire hard drive by selecting a driver? Are you copying drivers from the Windows folder on your working OS?

3. how do you highlight a boot disk?

"pressed" probably means "clicked"

We really need more information on your procedure, and if it's difficult for you to express yourself in English, please do not hesitate to use Google Translate.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

[...]

nLite reads the inf inside the driver folder and compresses then copies ONLY the files that are needed by the driver.

Sorry, but are you absolutelly sure of that? In my experience, it cabs and uses all files except a select few predefines(readme.txt etc.).

I've always used DriverCompressor first for that Job(i.e. excluding INF-unreferenced files), but if you're right then that extra step is redundant, which i didn't knew...

I haven't used nLite in a while, but i'm pretty sure i remember correctly...

Sounds like your working directory is on your Desktop.

Maybe that`s the reason nLite includes all files and folders

from your desktop to your nLite-DriverFolder (I386\NLDRV).

Please choose another working directory, e.g. D:\XPCD and D:\MyFiles.

Edited by g-force

[...]

nLite reads the inf inside the driver folder and compresses then copies ONLY the files that are needed by the driver.

Sorry, but are you absolutelly sure of that? In my experience, it cabs and uses all files except a select few predefines(readme.txt etc.).

Sorry for off-topic, but to answer my own question(which others maybe also would be interessted in), then here's the results from having tested this:

Nvidia graphics driver: 
56 files
20.2mb

After integrating above driver with nLite:
46 files
14.4mb

After running the un-nLited driver through DriverCompressor:
16 files
6.49mb

So, running DriverCompressor before integrating the drivers with nLite will save you additional space and cut down on the files, as nLite dosen't strip the INF-unreferenced files out, but just uses a built-in exclude-list, like e.g. TXT files and some few others. Also, as the files are already cabbed, then this also cuts down on the nLite processing time.

Edited by Martin H

Again,... Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini file to your post to facilitate quicker assistance. You'd have your solution by now if you had done this.

ok, here goes, thanks

Try to be more careful everyone!

I removed the attachment, please take your files and open them up first, replace any secret info (like keys, oem info, real/company names) with XXXXXX and then save the file someplace else. Then upload that modified file.