Can nLite integrate windows updates from the WindowsUpdate.log

Sylver123

Hello!

This is my first time trying to make a Windows XP SP3 with all windows updates using nLite but I have a question.

I`m getting the latest windows updates downloaded to my computer ready for integration in my Windows XP SP3 CD and im downloading them by using the download links contained inside the C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log file but ive noticed that many of the updates download links inside the log file are in cab format and once ive downloaded the to my computer, the cab updates can be opened just like a normal windows folder with _sfx_0000.p,_sfx_0001.p,_sfx_0002.p etc files contained inside them - Please check below of an example of the cab download im talking about - so I was wondering if nLite can still integrate these updates just the same as the exe format updates contained inside the WindowsUpdate.log or do I have to do something with the cab updates before I can use them with nLite???

Thanks for responding.

Example:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/secu/2009/07/windowsxp-kb973507-x86-express-enu_1b5faa946bfe5550941ae9bf1d187b4fe06de7bf.cab

Edited by Sylver123

Sylver123, I think no. I DLed from your link and used 7-Zip to decompress and got the files you said. I then DLed the real KB and did the same and got very similar files. I then extracted the KB at the command line with the /X:path switch and got an entirely differ set of files. Please attached - this looks like an update. There are many ways to get updates for use in nLite, but I don't think this is one of them. Probably the most convenient is an Update Pack as found on RayanVM forum. Please do some searching here and there. Enjoy, John.

I could get the same updates but in exe format by searching in google for official download links but would these be the same latest version ones that are on windows update???

Example of exe format update same as the cab one in my first post:

Main update page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4b4c6fc5-e8e6-4d89-a181-e231240468f9&displaylang=en

Download:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/4/2/F428B314-7235-4097-AF58-A95951010777/WindowsXP-KB973507-x86-ENU.exe

Thanks for responding.

Sylver123, I run XP x64, so cannot answer specific questions about XP updates. Ultimately, you should get all your updates from Windows Download Center. That is where the people who build Update Packs get them. There are many threads here and on RayanVM that discuss XP SP3 updates, including lists. There is also a tool found on these forums called Windows Update Downloader (WUD) that you can use if you insist on using individual updates instead of a pack. Please do some searching. Enjoy, John.

I could get the same updates but in exe format by searching in google for official download links but would these be the same latest version ones that are on windows update???

Example of exe format update same as the cab one in my first post:

Main update page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4b4c6fc5-e8e6-4d89-a181-e231240468f9&displaylang=en

Download:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/4/2/F428B314-7235-4097-AF58-A95951010777/WindowsXP-KB973507-x86-ENU.exe

Thanks for responding.

Yes, the files directly from Microsoft are the same, save for being encapsulated inside an .EXE so people can install them manually. The rule is if the KB # matches it is the same update. Windows Updates used cab format because it is an automated process and users do not have to be able to install them manually when downloaded via Windows Update. Does that make sense ??

Can't remember if nLite could integrate cabs, but if not you can also download the correct files you need for nLite using WUD or like John said, RyanVM has a pack for this. (but at times is hard to download or unavailable)

Edited by MrJinje

Yes, the files directly from Microsoft are the same, save for being encapsulated inside an .EXE so people can install them manually. The rule is if the KB # matches it is the same update. Windows Updates used cab format because it is an automated process and users do not have to be able to install them manually when downloaded via Windows Update. Does that make sense ??

Can't remember if nLite could integrate cabs, but if not you can also download the correct files you need for nLite using WUD or like John said, RyanVM has a pack for this. (but at times is hard to download or unavailable)

Yes, it does make sense.

The only reason why im gonna make my own updates integration is because there some updates I don`t want to intagrate into the Windows XP CD, so im gonna download the updates I need from microsoft updates download sources.

Thanks a lot guys for responding with help.

Thasnk You!!

Edited by Sylver123

The only reason why im gonna make my own updates integration is because there some updates I don`t want to intagrate into the Windows XP CD, so im gonna download the updates I need from microsoft updates download sources.

Then you definitely need to check out WUD by jcarle. It allows full choice of which updates to exclude/download and puts them all in a folder for you. Basically it's just a list of every update and the tool auto downloads them. Trust me, very easy to use. I prefer it over gathering them from the Software Distribution folder (or yikes, manually downloading them from Microsoft.com).

Edited by MrJinje

Then you definitely need to check out WUD by jcarle. It allows full choice of which updates to exclude/download and puts them all in a folder for you. Basically it's just a list of every update and the tool auto downloads them. Trust me, very easy to use. I prefer it over gathering them from the Software Distribution folder (or yikes, manually downloading them from Microsoft.com).

I`ll give WUD a try out, Thank you!

Hi

Ones ive integrated every thing I need with nLite, the two files Last Session.ini and Last Session_u.ini that are left inside the finished XPCD root are no longer needed and can be deleted before burning to disc is that right???

Edited by Sylver123

Sylver123, that is correct, and there is an option in nLite Options Task (Save a copy of your current configuration on the ISO). The default is Enabled, just disable it. I would point out that for future reference it is best to keep it around. Enjoy, John.