Tiny XP - Really Tiny - HELP!

max_carpenter

Good Morning Everyone,

I have got a Netbook here with a SDD harddrive. It actually has two harddrives one being 8GB and the other being 4GB. Now Windows refuses to install on the 8GB saying its not compatible and I have tried everything I can to get it to but it just won't so I have got to install it on the 4GB one. Using Nlite I am trying to get it as small as possible but I am struggling to have any room left on the harddrive once installed.

I have got it down to just under 3GB but I really want it at 2Gb so that half the harddrive is left.

The person I am installing it for wants to be able to surf the net, Play the 'Card Games' and I will install Office for them using the 8GB partion as well as a few other things.

Has anyone got any suggestions or a Session I can look at to get XP that small?

Regards,

Max

I haven't stripped anything off my XP, have Java and Virtual Box installed and am only using 1.83 GB. I don't know why yours would be at 3 GB.

Hmm intresting. Thought it was running a bit high. The only thing is I added the Drivers in using Nlite so they are all installed. The first time I tried to run a couple of Microsoft updates but there wasn't enough space so I reinstalled again and took a look and there was hardly any room (admittidly pagefile was using the last remaining GB)

I have just seen someones configurations for another Asus Eee PC so I am copying theirs for now and see how that turns out with my drivers put in. I have added nothing apart from drivers and cut out as much as possible as the end user only wants to web browse and use MS office + Messenger.

I have got a Netbook here with a SDD harddrive. It actually has two harddrives one being 8GB and the other being 4GB. Now Windows refuses to install on the 8GB saying its not compatible and I have tried everything I can to get it to but it just won't so I have got to install it on the 4GB one.

You mean 1 harddrive, SSD, 16GB(?) with 2 partitions, right ? What's keeping you from repartitionning? Do you need to keep the recovery partition if any ?

Is "the person" a friend or a client ?

No Windows is reporting it as two harddrive 0 and 1. I have deleted partions but I can't create one out of two drives. I haven't had a physical look at it yet I will do so at lunch although I haven't actually seen a SSD. The other person is actually my GF :-)

I have deleted the partions and recreated both to NTFS and don't understand why Windows is refusing to install on the 8GB. Even if I partion that one first so its Drive C in the Win Setup (booting from CD).

I will take a look at lunch inside the netbook and if still no luck going to try the orginal xp disk just to see if it will take the 8gb drive although I doubt it.

Regards,

Max

Right I have had a good look at the laptop, Firstly here is what the Windows XP Setup reports as harddrives:

3847MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi

7696MB Disk 0 at ID 1 on bus 0 on atapi

there are currently partiions and reports there are two un-partioned areas one for each disk.

When I opened up the underside I found the 8GB harddrive and when removed its still boots up fine with just the 4GB drive but I cannot find the 4GB physically anywhere. I have been speaking to my collegue who told me to use fdisk first to partition the 8gb but that doesn't even see the 8gb drive. Looks like I am just going to have to put up with this 4gb. I have made a nlite windows and I think its the best I can do and with pagefilling off on the c drive I am hoping that will give me about a 1gb free on C which will have to do.

Regards,

Max

Edited by max_carpenter