HELP WITH CHM IFILTER

cogitocn

Hello guys, I just tried to use CHM Ifilter in dtsearch, but the filter didn't work. It didn't extract words from CHM files.

I tried this in an un-nlited Full XP SP2 environment, and the filter worked just fine. Can someone help me to identify the cause of the problem?

Note: In my nlited XP SP2, I removed windows index service; not sure if this is the culprit. (But I am pretty sure that both chm ifilter and dtsearch are NOT dependent on windows index service; and I do have query.dll on my nlited system).

Thanks and cheers.

LAST SESSION (205403.22-12.29.08).INI

Edited by cogitocn

cogitocn, I am not familiar with what you are trying to do, but we need to see your Last Session. Please attach it as requested in RED above. Enjoy, John.

Thank you, John; I finally managed to find my Last Session file. Please see the attachment.

Thanks again.

Isn't Help and Support also related to .chm files? I know that removing it won't affect opening of .chm files in general, but... Maybe it's both components (you mentioned indexing service) together.

Hello Sp0iLedBrAt, thanks for your quick reply. Windows "Help and Support" is a pain to have :sneaky: But I would like to give it a try. Is there a way I can bring "Help and Support" and "Indexing Service" back without reinstalling the system?

Thanks again!

cogitocn, is this an old nLite run? I see you are using version 1.4.5 Beta 2. You should be using 1.4.9.1. I also see you have not integrated SP3 - old or some other reason? Attached is a screen shot of the nLite page for removing H&S. I don't think it is the problem but then I don't understand what "CHM Ifilter in dtsearch" is. I have removed Indexing Service and have no problem with .chm files that I am aware. If you will explain to me what I have to do to invoke "CHM Ifilter in dtsearch", I will try it and let you know. Enjoy, John.

cogitocn, is this an old nLite run? I see you are using version 1.4.5 Beta 2. You should be using 1.4.9.1. I also see you have not integrated SP3 - old or some other reason? Attached is a screen shot of the nLite page for removing H&S. I don't think it is the problem but then I don't understand what "CHM Ifilter in dtsearch" is. I have removed Indexing Service and have no problem with .chm files that I am aware. If you will explain to me what I have to do to invoke "CHM Ifilter in dtsearch", I will try it and let you know. Enjoy, John.

Hello John, thanks so much for your kind reply.

Yes, I'm running a pretty old nlited XP SP2. It has been working just fine since I built it. That's why I didn't use the latest nlite.

I've found out that the removal of "Help and Support" is irrelevant. The CHM IFilter worked normally on my virtual machine which also does not have "Help and Support."

As regards dtsearch, it is a useful and fast text search engine: it extracts texts from .pdf .doc etc. and make them searchable. However, dtsearch itself can't extract text from .CHM files. It needs CHM IFilter, a plugin that makes .CHM files extractable.

Please see the following two sites for details:

w w w.dtsearch.com

w w w.citeknet.com/ifilters/chm.aspx

Thanks again!

cogitocn, OK, I understand better. I looked at the IFilter site and read this

The Citeknet CHM IFilter is designed and optimized to use the extra indexing feature...
Perhaps this is implying that Indexing Service is needed. I am not inclined to DL and install it on my system, so I suggest you seek a forum or the Support section of the CHM IFilter site. I am suspecting Sp0iLedBrAt is correct and Indexing Service is needed. Enjoy, John.

cogitocn, OK, I understand better. I looked at the IFilter site and read this

The Citeknet CHM IFilter is designed and optimized to use the extra indexing feature...
Perhaps this is implying that Indexing Service is needed. I am not inclined to DL and install it on my system, so I suggest you seek a forum or the Support section of the CHM IFilter site. I am suspecting Sp0iLedBrAt is correct and Indexing Service is needed. Enjoy, John.

Thanks John, I'll give "indexing service" a try. By the way, is there an easy way to bring "indexing service" back without reinstalling or nliting the whole system? I mean, is there a simple way to get cisvc.exe working(modifying a few registry entries, installing an .inf file, etc.)?

Thanks and good night!

cogitocn, in general it is not easy to replace a removed component and most should assume that once it is removed, a rebuild/reinstall is needed. I copied all the *.in* files from my AMD64 folder and extracted all of them. I then searched for cisvc.exe and found a number of files referring to it. The .inf file that installs the Indexing Service is setupqry.inf. I attach a screen shot of all the files I found. I looked at all, but could make little sense of any but setupqry.inf. I am not sure what to suggest at this time. If you are brave, you could copy the cisvc.exe file to your System32 folder and then right click setupqry.inf and click Install. After a restart, maybe Indexing Service will be available. Check in the Services page of MMC to see. If you try such, I would recommend that you create a System Restore point before you start. I would also suggest that you take a look at all the other files I found and see if you can make sense of them. I am running XP x64, assuming you are running XP, the files will be in the I386 folder. Most are compressed into *.XX_. Seems like you mentioned running a VM. If so, try running a VM with all your nLite settings except don't remove Indexing Service and see if your search works OK. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

cogitocn, in general it is not easy to replace a removed component and most should assume that once it is removed, a rebuild/reinstall is needed. I copied all the *.in* files from my AMD64 folder and extracted all of them. I then searched for cisvc.exe and found a number of files referring to it. The .inf file that installs the Indexing Service is setupqry.inf. I attach a screen shot of all the files I found. I looked at all, but could make little sense of any but setupqry.inf. I am not sure what to suggest at this time. If you are brave, you could copy the cisvc.exe file to your System32 folder and then right click setupqry.inf and click Install. After a restart, maybe Indexing Service will be available. Check in the Services page of MMC to see. If you try such, I would recommend that you create a System Restore point before you start. I would also suggest that you take a look at all the other files I found and see if you can make sense of them. I am running XP x64, assuming you are running XP, the files will be in the I386 folder. Most are compressed into *.XX_. Seems like you mentioned running a VM. If so, try running a VM with all your nLite settings except don't remove Indexing Service and see if your search works OK. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

John, thanks again for this detailed and helpful reply. I'll experiment with the suggestions you offered this weekend, and will let you know what I get.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Hi John and Sp0iLeDBrAt,

thank you both for your responses. Unfortunately, I tried your suggestions but still had no luck. I finally installed a full XP and got the CHM IFilter running.

However, this filter did not work very good, especially in handling large .chm files. The best way to index .chm files is, still, to convert them into .pdf format. This is the lesson I learned, and hopefully, it may help someone make a more informed decision in the future.

Thank you all, and cheers!