Find out who is connected to a mapped Drive from the User side.

Gekko_uk

Hello,

Weird one for you...

We have a DBA who has a large number of Access Databases stored on a network drive (P Drive).

He has asks me daily/hourly who is connected to the shared drive which I find out by logging onto the server and looking at the shares via Computer Managment/Open files & open Sessions.

Is it possible for me to have a script he runs on his computer that would return this himself? but just for the P Drive.

I had thought about creating a MMC template and giving him access to that but it then lets him see all open files/sessions which for example one might say X:\HR\john_Ross_Offer_of_Redundancy_letter.doc.

which for obvious reasons is a big no no!

Server is Windows Server 2003 running as DC/File Server, he is on Xp with office 2007.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G

If you know the specific share name you want to look up, you could use the WMI win32_ServerConnection instance.

Thanks for the reply, would you be able to provide more detail as a quick google etc and I am left in a programming coma...

Take it as share name is "Databases" and remote server is "server1" ie \\Server1\Databases would be the path.

Many Thanks