Quad Core

John305

Hi I would like to know how quad cores give there temp reading. In a temperature monitor program it shows 4 core temps but then gives a main temp as cpu temperature which is much lower than the cores themselves example the cores show around 44 c but the main cpu temp shows 22 c I don’t understand how they come up with such a low cpu main temp.

Thank You

44C is the correct temperature, that is a very normal temp for quad cores.

what programs have you tried?

try both realtemp and coretemp.

Hi Thank You for your response I have tried both programs the reason I am concerned I had one of my video cards over heat and burn up hehe, The realtemp program with the pc at a idle for a hour is 38 c my 2 video cards I have got to run cooler they idle at 40 c with adding a fan so I hope I am set lol video cards are costly.

Thank You

you should worry more about load temps than idle temps.

what are your temps after playing a game for an hour?

Hi yes the video cards are running 72c after farcry 2 at high res for 2 hours the cpu i still cant find a main cpu reading but the highest core is 58 c.

Thank You

Both those temperatures look fine, could be improved for sure but you would need bigger fans (read more air pushed trough your system with less noise ;)), better airflow, bigger heat-sinks and some new thermal cream on some parts. But, I would not worry that much about the temperatures in your case.

• 2 months later...

ok im back on this subject the original ? was when i use a temp monitor program to see quad core temps some of them give you a cpu temp then the 4 cores temps why. I have found out the reason for this. Intel provides separate thermal specifications for 2 different sensor types; a single Case Thermal Diode located within the CPU die between the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located within each Core. The Case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature Case), which is commonly known as CPU temp, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature Junction), which is commonly known as Core temp. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a constant temperature difference between them, which is referred to as Tcase to Tjunction Delta. C2Q’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while C2D’s have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors.So this is why you get the main cpu case temp then the 4 cores. Although i find it hard to beleive a cpu case temp of 22 when the cores are all around 40. Also each core temp is diffrent not much but they are. So if core 1 is 50 core 2 47 core 3 48 core 4 46 and the main cpu case temp is 22 what is the real temp or do u guess. I also wonder why they have the main cpu die temp sensor if it really means nothing.

Thank You