bartpe bombs with hfslip sp3 xp?

PMikeP

UPDATE March 1, 2010. Oops. Now I'm feeling really stupid. I decided to try it all over again with a clean XP SP2, HFSLIP Beta F and SP3. This time Bart handled the build without the errors below. (Although ever since the first of year 2010 I cannot integrate my SATA drivers into Bart anymore.) I don't know what I had done wrong the first time with the HFSLIP build. But it appears I sent a false alarm here on the forum.

==========================================I'm guessing this may be a BartPE problem since the application is old and has not been updated in quite a long time.

I thought I'd make the perfect bart xp sp3 CD. I've been using nLite to slipstream SP3 into XP for a couple years without problems. But then I re-read the hfslip page about using wbemoc.cab to fix a buried problem with normal slipstreaming of SP3. I thought, "What could be better than an hfslip'd slipstream of xp?" (I don't know if nLite addresses the same problem when slipstreaming SP3 that hfslip does with wbemoc.cab.cab.)

But when I try creating a Bart iso using an hfslip'd iso, I get the following errors:

----------------------------------

Closing/saving the registry hives

Saving hive: C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\SETUPREG.HIV

Saving hive: C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Saving hive: C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\DEFAULT

Closing hive: C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive

Error: closeHive() failed: RegUnLoadKey (key="PEBuilder.exe-C:/PEBUILDER3110A/BARTPE/I386/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/petmphive") returned error 0: Access is denied.

Creating file: default.log

Creating file: sam

Creating file: sam.log

Creating file: security

Creating file: security.log

Creating file: software.log

Cleanup temporarily files

Error: DeleteFile() "C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive" failed

Error: DeleteFile() "C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive.log" failed

Error: DeleteFile() "C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\setuphiv" failed

Error: DeleteFile() "C:\PEBUILDER3110A\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\setuphiv.log" failed

-----------------------------

Not a big deal... as I said, I've been using nLite to make SP3 version of BartPE's for a while now with no known drawbacks. But I thought I'd mention this in the forum. I didn't see anyone else squawk about it. Am I the only one still making BartPE's with XP? (I'd make a VistaPE if I had a Vista CD. Not sure I want to tackle it the SDK route.) I tried the Bart build on both Win2K and WinXP. The base is XP SP2 hfslipped with XP3 and wbemoc.cab only.

Mike <><

Edited by PMikeP

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is off topic (although I mention HFSlip and nLite in it) but after doing a google search for this problem with BartPE (search for "bartpe petmphive" without quotes) and seeing my question on the msfn board in the top 10 or so, I'm posting a solution to the problem. I kinda hacked my way to this, which means I don't really understand what's going on.

Here's my particular setup. YMMV. I have a motherboard that uses a Nvidia AHCI SATA controller. BartPE, of itself, won't integrate the Nvidia AHCI SATA drivers per Bart's instructions. (Well, the driver will be in the build, but PE won't fold it in during boot and you'll not see your SATA drives.) But I wanted BartPE to be able to see my drives without my having to change my motherboard BIOS to "Normal IDE" every time I booted Bart. (I use BartPE often for image backups using Terabyte Unlimited's "Image for Windows.") This particular problem (that is, the error message above) seems to only happen when you try to get fancy with Bart and sneak AHCI drivers into it via nLite. I've been able to integrate lesser SATA and IDE chipset drivers into Bart the normal way without this particular lockout. So this post will address the error above as well as how to get Bart to integrate an AHCI driver.

I've been using Nlite to integrate all the Nvidia drivers for my full install of XP. Works as advertised. (Hint: Do NOT install a video driver in any XP system until you've activated Windows. If you activate after installing a video driver, you will always have to reinstall fresh with THAT driver for the same numbers to work after a reinstall.)

Now, to get BartPE to integrate the AHCI Nvidia SATA driver:

0) I have an XP SP2 Upgrade CD as a base.

1) HFSlip XP SP2 to SP3, per hfslip instructions. (Must use wbemoc.cab.) Nothing else in HFSlip folders for this step.

[Or you could probably just skip to Step 2 if you are happy with your particular SP or already have SP3. I don't know if SP3 is necessary for Bart to integrate the AHCI driver. It may be.]

2) Use the HFSlip SOURCESS as the "Working folder" for nLite to iIntegrate the Nvidia SATA. (Per nLite instructions.) Integrate the SATA driver only. No need to make an .ISO yet from nLite. The nLite "Working folder" will become the BartPE working folder after this. (We're kinda chaining here. There's something about nLite's TXTSETUP.SIF)

3) Copy the same files from where you got the SATA drivers for nLite to a folder you create in Bart in its drivers > SCSIAdapter directory. Let's call it "SATA." So it's drivers > SCSIAdapter > SATA > actual driver files (probably includes txtsetup.oem).

Needless to say, the driver version you used in nLite must be the same version you use in Bart.

4) You need to find a file called idecoi.dll in order for Nvidia drivers to install. I found these in the ECS (motherboard maker) build of the Nvidia driver. Copy idecoi.dll into the SATA directory.

5) Make a copy of idecoi.dll in the Bart SATA directory and then rename it idecoiins.dll (So that's two of the "same" files there.)

Now, here's the part I can't explain. It appears you MUST build the BartPE i386/ISO on the same machine (same Administrator, etc.) that you built the nLite working folder on. I think it might have something to do with Registry Permissions in Windows because I theorize that Windows thinks you're doing some Registry modification when you sneak an AHCI driver into Bart from nLite. Maybe Windows is trying to lock things down?

So if, instead, you were to build the integrated nLite working folder on one machine (as I tried) and copy it to another machine to run it in pebuilder, you will get the errors above. (Or if the versions of your SATA drivers don't mach in nLite and Bart, that will error out too, which is what got me started down this path. I was too smart by half.)

I've spent 48 hours trying every variable I can think of. [including investigating a Y2KX problem. My last good BartPE was from Christmas Eve, 2009. Then JKdefrag updated, so I tried making a new Bart after the first of the year.] It seems to come down to having to use the same machine, same OS for the nLite and pebuilder steps. You can't even burn an ISO from nLite and feed it to Bart on a different machine without getting these errors in this chain scenario. (I even tried it with Windows on FAT v. NTFS / W2K v. XP to test for permission problems there. - No change.)

6) So then the last step is to use run pebuilder and point it to your nLite working directory to burn a PE ISO. Again, it doesn't seem to work if you change any variables. I have two instances of XP on one machine (dual booting C: drives) and when I tried executing the exact same pebuilder on the exact same nLite build (on a DATA drive accessible from both XP's) from the other XP, I got the error message above. Copying files back and forth, copying from NTFS to FAT32, nothing seems to make a difference.

Again, I've not had a problem using Bart in the normal way... I can use a pressed CD of XP to make a PE ISO even with lesser SATA drivers in Bart's driver directory. It seems this problem only shows up when you chain nLite to Bart to integrate an AHCI driver. Whether this is a manifestation of Windows registry protection or not, I don't know. (If someone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them.)

Hope this saves someone 48 hours of frustration.

Mike <><