Error during unattended install

I don't know why it is happening, but it is, and I'll provide as much info as I can.

I was creating an unattended ISO. The original ISO was Windows XP SP2, and I slipstreamed SP3 into it.

After that, I added a long list of Hotfixes, the ones listed here: http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html

However, during the adding of these Hotfixes, I got one error, saying:

"This hotfix isn't made for this Windows version!"

It was Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)

Continuing on, I removed components, then proceeded through the Unattended section.

When all the procedures were done, I used cdimagegui.exe as usual, to create the ISO.

I create a new VM, boot up with the fresh ISO, it starts the formatting and copying files, entering GUI mode, this error dialog shows:

errorj.jpg

and it reboots. This continues on and on.

Also, I tried to include the .NET Framework, using the guide from http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7696

Here's SVCPACK.INF:

;Windows XP
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
DotNetFX35SP1_20091024_Addon_ENU.cab -ai1
qchain.exe

This should not be an issue at all, since SVCPACK isn't even initiated at the point of error. I just added it to ask if I was correct in putting it like I did. :-)

I don't think I forgot to add anything, but ask and I shall provide!

nLite's Last Session.ini is attached.

Last Session.ini

I used Google Search and opened the cached page, since the search engine in here sucks.. Anyway, it was stated that the issue was regarding adding IE8 hotfixes. I'll try to disregard any hotfix related to IE8 and come back with an answer whether it worked or not.

If you're using nLite, then you can't integrate IE8 hotfixes along with the other updates. However, you can download or create an IE8 add-on which will contain all the current hotfixes. There is a tool that creates the add-on, and you can find it here:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5999

Please bear in mind that the add-on will work ONLY on XP with SP3

I got IE8 + WMP11 integrated, it was in fact an easy task.

Anyway, the error I got from the OP, is apparently related to slipstreaming this file into the ISO with nLite:

WGA_Validation_AddOn_1.9.40.0-2_-_redxii.7z

It was listed on http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html ..I skipped adding it altogether and I could proceed with installing.

However getting .NET Framework in is a whole other matter. I have tried it so many times in different ways, now I am beginning to think I should just drop it..

.NET Framework is easy, believe me :-) Either download one of several ready-made packs/add-ons or make your own with THIS. Tried and tested. It can be made as an nLite add-on or a switchless installer from RunOnce. The Silent .NET Maker even has the option to merge different versions of .NET Framework into one installer along with language packs.

Enjoy

Sp0iLeDBrAt; I have tried the Silent .NET Maker, and it just gave me a headache trying to understand wtf I'm supposed to do. First of all which files to download. Another attempt I did was doing it like this. I downloaded DotNetFX35SP1_20091024_Addon_ENU.cab . Tried it in both SVCPACK.INF and in RunOnceEx - nothing happens. At all.

Edited by Zaitzev

VC8 and VC9 runtimes are removed from this installation. You must have VC8 runtime as pre-requisite for .NET 2.0 and VC9 runtime as pre-requisite for .NET 3.5.
Nothing happened because you probably didn't read this. Why don't you look at the Silent .NET Maker page? There is a great breakdown on which files to download; for e.g., if you only want .NET 3.5 SP1, you download .NET 3.5 SP1 full redistributable (dotnetfx35.exe 231 MB), contains 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 frameworks, .NET 3.5 SP1 redist langpacks (dotnetfx35langpack_x86XX.exe IF YOU NEED IT) and NDP35SP1-KB963707-x86.exe update.

PM me or post here on what you want to install and what you downloaded, and I'll help you out with the configuration of _SNMsynth.ini

Cheers

I read that. I added the runtime addon (MicrosoftRuntimeLibraries-1.4.8-Addon.7z) from the very beginning of trying it out. Still doesn't work.

Edit:

To clarify a little bit:

I have the clean SP2 iso. I slipstream SP3 into it. After that I add the above mentioned addon. In the guide it clearly says that the rest of the prerequisites are native to SP3, which I have slipstreamed. After adding said addon, I continue with adding a few more, for good measure (Such as the IE8-addon, some hotfixes etc).

Furthermore, I tried the "WMP11 Integrator" program, which works, but I get some error dialogs during GUI setup (I will have to recreate the ISO to get hold of a screenshot if need be), but WMP11 is still installed. I've tried integrating WMP11 prior to slipstreaming SP3 as well as post-SP3, but the error shows regardless.

Edited by Zaitzev