nLite + more.

Aristotles

Hi, So at the moment I have created a custom nLite XP disc which is not completely done to my liking at the moment. I have created it to be a complete silent install and have intergrated nLite addons to silantly install the following applications. Office 2003, VLC, Flash, FireFox, Java and Adobe Reader. First of all, After all computer rebuilds, I have to install Symantec corporate anti-virus on all rebuilds so I just have to create a cab file for that as well as TightVNC but with TightVNC, how do you intergrate reg files to open up and insert themselves to the registry which modify TightVNC settings?

With all PC rebuilds, we rebind the computers to Active Directory and network options update in IE for all users who log on to that PC but was wondering on how do you intergrate proxy settings into FireFox for the same as IE.

How can I also lock down Windows XP alot more than what nLite can do?

This might be slightly wrong, BUT I am pretty sure from the tone of your post this needs to be reminded:

nLite is NOT for business or corporation usage...

It's in the nLite license, which you agreed to when you installed nLite.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

we are not business or corporation. We are a non-profit organisation.

SO maybe someone will still be able to help me with my problem with an added question. Is it possible to leave the Admin section on XP not modified while completely locking down any other clients that will use the system? as we still have to bind to AD after each installation, alot of the features were ripped out with the custom XP disc we created just so clients don't stuff around.

Just because you are a non-profit organization doesn't mean you get to use nLite to deploy Windows to multiple pc's...

Edit: After some thought I felt like there is more to say here. Does being a non-profit does that also allow you to ignore other Eula's like MS's Windows Eula? While nLite-ing is super and great for personal use deploying nlited installations is highly against MS's Windows Eula.

nLite modifies MANY MANY core windows files and rather fully violates MS's Eula. While MS overlooks this for personal use (and some MS techs actually suggest it for slipstreaming Sp's) distributing nlited copies of Windows is VERY HIGHLY WRONG and defiantly un-ethical.

The arrogance you show here by saying, rather simply "we are not business or corporation. We are a non-profit organisation." is very astounding. OK being a non-profit is very nice and really should afford you SOME special consideration but fully ignoring software agreements is very un-ethical.

Most of what nLite does can be found and done other ways (most of them being on this forum) these other ways are mostly agree-able to being used in multiple-deployment environments. The use of nLite in a corporation (Or non-profit organization) is a sign of laziness IMO. You cannot in anyway fully support deployed installations that have been nlited. (Unless you know EXACTLY what nLite does, and if you actually do then why aren't you doing it yourself?)

Lets see nLite's license:

[b]LICENSE AGREEMENT: 

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can only be distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in any way or create a new installer for it.[/b]

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

Here it says read the EULA.txt in your windows folder. Which would then remind you that:

YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS 
EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE
USING THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO
NOT INSTALL, COPY, OR USE THE SOFTWARE; YOU
MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A
FULL REFUND, IF APPLICABLE.

Then leads to:

4. LIMITATIONS ON REVERSE ENGINEERING, 
DECOMPILATION, AND DISASSEMBLY. You may not
reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble
the Software, except and only to the extent
that such activity is expressly permitted by
applicable law notwithstanding this
limitation.

Back to the license:

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

This section then reads that nLite is ONLY FOR PERSONAL USE...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

we are not business or corporation. We are a non-profit organisation.

SO maybe someone will still be able to help me with my problem with an added question. Is it possible to leave the Admin section on XP not modified while completely locking down any other clients that will use the system? as we still have to bind to AD after each installation, alot of the features were ripped out with the custom XP disc we created just so clients don't stuff around.

For a non profit you talk allot about clients, doubt you will get any further help