Upgrade to v3.0.5

xper

Under Internet Explorer 6 (Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Prof.)...

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 users can also use Internet Explorer 6 (different Service Pack levels). The newer browsers (Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Internet Explorer 8) do not run very well with older computers that have 512 MB of RAM, so for those using a newer browser may be at too great a performance cost.
You should use some light version of the new forum or go back to the old version at least for Win9x/Win2000 users and content.

The old forum functioned decently. This new forum does not work well.

Reverting back to the old forum is preferred.

Note: I use Internet Explorer 6 with SP1 on Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4.

You're using a nearly 10 year old browser that is not even close to standards compliant, doesn't properly display .png transparency. Wasn't even written to understand 90% of what is considered standard web design practices today.

and we will not go back to 2.3 (old forum) version. One thing i can do about it is to map IE6 to lofi skin.

I understand you guys are working on things, and that you need time to sort them out. :yes:

But I can confirm that the forum behaves much slower in general than it did previously.

I may be using an old OS, but my hardware is not lacking.

Win98SE, FF 2.0.0.20 - P4 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM

@Tarun -

Using "newer" Windows, FF, and the "Script Blocker" mentioned. All is well for me here. Just need to remember to use FF from now on (and get used to it, I guess). Still have ye-olde IE6sp1 + all MS-OS/Browser Updates.

However, the fact of the matter is many (?) folks won't have PC's that will aloow for any more that an older OS/Browser. Leave it at that (flame-wars?) and just say "Sorry, you will just have to bite the bullet until/unless solutions can be found". Remember, some are Normal/Supreme Sponsors...

Just for the record that IE6 will no longer be supported as a browser by Microsoft in June of 2010. Man how much trouble i have because of IE6 or firefox. It seems that FF 3.6 also has trouble with logging in. I tried it here and couldn't login properly first time. Some people use old ie or ff at work and one of the solutions is portableapps.com.

Is the forum only slow for me? The speed of the new board is terrible. Loading sites can take 20-30sec. The old one was a Ferrari, the new one is like a horse-drawn carriage. The only good thing is the new lighting of code and quotes. The rest is terrible :puke:

It is not just you.

It seems that the MSFN.org forums do not function well anymore.

You're on Windows 98 and Firefox 2.0 when it looks like your computer could easily handle XP. I'd recommend upgrading your OS.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I would use Linux before using an NT-based Windows.

This is not the place for a discussion like this however.

Board search is not working properly (and this is serious :ph34r: ).

If you search for all posts by jaclaz, this recent thread does NOT come out as result :w00t::

The results are 8 pages (while jaclaz has approximately 5,674 posts - the old board "limited" the search to last 1000 posts)

Also, I seem like not being able to have "Show posts as results" from the search form. :blink:

The new version of friendly names, is still not working fully.

Link to single posts, like this one:

lead to the top of the page where the post is instead that on the actual post, like:

The "old" addresses do work:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2338

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=904788

the above (which works), translates in the browser toolbar to:

identical to the one produced by the "link to post" above, but it does not work.

:unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I have to agree with you there. I don't like this one bit. I understand the frustration some people have when trying to get someone off an old OS and onto a new one, but this doesn't feel like MSFN anymore.

agree. I hate the new look. This theme is totally unclear und confusing. :no::realmad:

same here

Board search is not working properly (and this is serious :ph34r: ).

If you search for all posts by jaclaz, this recent thread does NOT come out as result :w00t::

The results are 8 pages (while jaclaz has approximately 5,674 posts - the old board "limited" the search to last 1000 posts)

search limit is hardcoded and i still have to find it in code and change. now search will show min. 1.000 posts.

I have to agree with jaclaz/others the older forum was great. I have to say this has been the best/only forum I've been on.

But you also have to remember why people don't pay for things because of situations like this. You have service packs that people start but don't finish

but they expect you donate. Lets say I donate to something and something like this happens. Did I get my money worth. Everybody has a price but some are

willing not to sell out.

I understand and agree but you need to know that IPB 3 is made for modern browsers. Internet Explorer 6 will not show forum properly. Older versions of FF and Opera will do same. What can i do is make special skin/theme for older browsers and map older browsers user agents to that skin. That cost money and time. Another issue is that robots still hammering site due to url structure change in IPB 3. Neowin crashed twice because of crawlers.

We do our best to get this forum as it was before. I spend all my free time on this right now. Oh and i'm not far from closing msfn. It's hard to keep running site like msfn these days.

I understand and agree but you need to know that IPB 3 is made for modern browsers. Internet Explorer 6 will not show forum properly. Older versions of FF and Opera will do same. What can i do is make special skin/theme for older browsers and map older browsers user agents to that skin. That cost money and time. Another issue is that robots still hammering site due to url structure change in IPB 3. Neowin crashed twice because of crawlers.

We do our best to get this forum as it was before. I spend all my free time on this right now. Oh and i'm not far from closing msfn. It's hard to keep running site like msfn these days.

I don't claim to know everything about maintaining a forum or website; in fact I know very little about it.

I mean no insult of any kind, but I have a question that I think may sum up some of the feelings that a lot of us are having.

Was this "change for the sake of change" or was there a specific set of problems that could only be addressed by this upgrade?

What exactly does "IPB 3" improve?

What new functionality is added? (And I'm talking functionality, not eye candy.)

What does this new version have to offer to the average user that the previous one did not?

If this newer version does not greatly expand the usefulness to the average user, then why change it?

Especially if it decreases functionality to a portion of the user base?

It would have been less work for you admins as well. :)