Make RIS Installations Faster

Are there any sensible steps we can take to make our RIS installetions faster? I'm guess the windows installation stage can't be optimised as it's the same as it would be for a disc based install. Are there sensible steps I could take to increase the speed of the first stage and is it wise/advisable to do so?

Thanks

Jason

• 1 year later...

Considering nLite is for personal use only, that would probably be a bad idea if this isn't personal use. Honestly, the best way to make installing XP faster is to image it into a WIM and use WDS to deploy. That changes the game a bit though.

Considering nLite is for personal use only, that would probably be a bad idea if this isn't personal use. Honestly, the best way to make installing XP faster is to image it into a WIM and use WDS to deploy. That changes the game a bit though.

Are you sure nLite is for personal use only????

from nLite website:

And remember it is freeware, meaning that only fuel is a good word or a donation.

Never says personal use only anywhere I could find.

One option I could recommend also is not compressing all files you copy over and this would make the file copy longer but would increase the time to execute your task or vice versa compress if you are trying to speed up the network copy process but your execution will get longer.

Edited by lawson23

Never says personal use only anywhere I could find.

Well, maybe looking in it's License (the one that you have to read BEFORE ticking "I accept" when installing), would help:

LICENSE AGREEMENT:

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can only be distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in any way or create a new installer for it.

jaclaz