Optimal Swap file size, etc.

piikea

It was not a recommended change. I have a similar setup as yours on one machine myself.

The point was that if Windows itself has access to 3GiB of RAM it will only use up to 1GiB of Swap. Your RAMDisk reduced Windows RAM allowing more Swap to be used.

This is why I only allocated 1Gib for the RAMDisk I put the Swap File in on my 8GiB RAM Machine.

I made one attempt to extend this limit but it failed, so further research is needed.

Well, a total address space absolute limit of 4 GiB for 9x/ME makes sense to me.

Of course, if a workaround is found, I'd like to be aware of it, so keep us posted about your research.

BTW, if you want to revise and update the info for the RLoew(7) machine (or any others), do PM me. As it appears now on the list, the swap file ramdisk has less than 1 GiB allocated to it, but that, of course, is due to your letting Win98SE/ME see 3327 MiB, in the reported configuration. Moreover, I understand you have at least one machine dual-booting Win 95, now, and that would be an interesting addition to the list.

Extending the 4GiB limit would not help much. The limit would only increase to between 5GiB and 5.6GiB (32-Bit RAM + 2GiB).

There is no need to change my entry. I didn't change it. I haven't thought about the memory size in a while so I just assumed it was 3GiB/1Gib.

The Multiboot of Windows 95 and Windows 95C is on the same machine but is only temporary and requires locking out the main drive. I finally resolved the SATA Problem for Windows 95C so I could put a permanant Partition for it if I want. I have room for 62 bootable Partitions.

I finally resolved the SATA Problem for Windows 95C so I could put a permanant Partition for it if I want. I have room for 62 bootable Partitions.

Please tell me more about the current capabilities of your SATA patch. I see it has evolved since I originally bought my copy of it (which, unfortunately, I still didn't test, since I've got to postpone finishing the assemblage of my ECS GeForce 6100M-M2 board based machine, due to various more pressing matters).

I finally resolved the SATA Problem for Windows 95C so I could put a permanant Partition for it if I want. I have room for 62 bootable Partitions.

Please tell me more about the current capabilities of your SATA patch. I see it has evolved since I originally bought my copy of it (which, unfortunately, I still didn't test, since I've got to postpone finishing the assemblage of my ECS GeForce 6100M-M2 board based machine, due to various more pressing matters).

The Patch itself has not changed since you bought it. It just has been tested in more situations.

I have been doing some testing with LoneCrusader and his FIX95CPU Package.

My test system is SATA based so I had to run in compatability mode up until a couple of days ago.

Windows 95 Device Detection and installation are not the same as Windows 98+, so it took longer than expected.

A somewhat different approach is needed. When I can come up with a suitable procedure that is at least a little bit user friendly, I will release an update.