Microsoft Flight Simulator X

west117wolf

• 1 month later...

Cluberti: When I do a flight recording on fsx, it freezes and I get returned to desktop. Note says that I may not have enough memory. i should have plenty of memory, but I will attach dxdiag for your review.

Thanks in advance.

West

DxDiag.txt

When a *program* is complaining about "memory", it really means Virtual Address Space, not RAM. Your dxdiag won't help much.

When the problem occurs, you're likely out of virtual address space for the process, or some other internal error occurred and that's the error that bubbled up.

I will soon be getting a new computer with Windows 7. Am I likely to experience problems running Microsoft Flight Sim X??? :hello:

I'm a big Flight Sim fan and love FSX, have built a I7 920 @ 4GHz, GTX 285, 6GB ram rig just for FSX, with Win 7 on a OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD and a Velociraptor 300 GB for the FSX and add on install, my current FSX folder with add ons currently stands at 172 GB (yep, 172 gigabytes) once larger capacity SSD's come down in price I'll replace the Velociraptor with a suitable sized Solid State drive, all my add on scenery takes some time to load a flight, an FSX folder SSD will be of great benefit.

FSX is a big CPU hog even at 4GHz, some of the modern add-ons like Aerosoft Manhattan X can drag my frame rates down to about 10 to 12 FPS, but mostly I'm getting between 30 to 60 FPS on this rig.

What I have done is do all the best FSX and hardware tweaks applicable to my system from Nick N's guide, and this makes FSX a much better looking and performing sim

Nicks FSX tuning guide.

In answer to your question ... I've tried FSX on XP 32 and 64 bit, Vista 64 bit and currently Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit that I prefer, FSX works fine on all these OS's, do install SP1 and SP2 or the Acceleration add on that includes those service packs, but this is well covered in Nicks guide, bookmark that one because he keeps it updated as new hardware and add-ons as well as tweaks arrive.

Oh, and just to whet your appetite and show what can be done, this is my FSX rig with some of my hardware add-ons for it in action :)

068.jpg

Cluberti: When I do a flight recording on fsx, it freezes and I get returned to desktop. Note says that I may not have enough memory. i should have plenty of memory, but I will attach dxdiag for your review.

Thanks in advance.

West

What OS are you running when this happens, and have you kept the default OS swap file size (and location?) Another thing to consider is, these flight video files can get very big, if you have FSX installed on a drive with little free space ... it could cause this crash? more info needed.

Have a look at the Nick N FSX tuning guide in my last post, Nick goes into memory usage for FSX.