Encourage Opera to support Opera 10.5 on 98SE

ryaxnb

So far Opera 10.5 is only in MSI format. Granted it's early yet, but it seems extremely likely that Opera itself will still work fine on 98SE as it always has. Most likely just the MSI is incompatible with 98SE. Encourage Opera to be proper and release a non-MSI distribution or allow third-parties to release a 98SE-compatible release (taken out of the MSI wrapper) so the Opera 10.5 will be available for 98SE. :)

Just a general rally call

Modicr, I've tried 3228 build of Opera 10.5.

It was possible to install it but it can't run (despite of help of KernelEx 4.5 beta 1).

As I've seen, officialy the oldest supported system is Win 2000 (similar to Firefox).

Edited by rainyd

Modicr, I've tried 3228 build of Opera 10.5.

It was possible to install it but it can't run (despite of help of KernelEx 4.5 beta 1).

As I've seen, officialy the oldest supported system is Win 2000 (similar to Firefox).

Build 3228  runs here OK without KernelEx on this 98SE2ME machine. I normally don't download Alpha builds, but I was intrigued by the fact Opera does seem close to a Beta release of 10.5. I took the precaution of installing it in a separate folder from Opera 10 so I could compare the two and it does load pages with a lot of content such as Flash and Javascript faster. But the real question is whether it runs any better for those users who have had a good deal of problems running previous releases. 

Latest Build is 3236 by the way, they are coming thick and fast.

Edited by lightning slinger

In fact, I've installed that Alpha to the directory of stable 10.10 version but I don't know if that was a reason for my unsuccessful run.

I can't uninstalled KernelEx because some of my programs required it's presence.

Edited by rainyd

So Opera 10.10 is the last stable version for the 9x systems?

No, it's latest stable version of Opera for any Windows version.

Btw, latest build (3248 aka Beta 1) looks like is ok too - I've tested it shortly.

Edited by rainyd

Btw, latest build (3248 aka Beta 1) looks like is ok too - I've tested it shortly.

Beta Build 3248 installs and runs without KernelEx OK but I have had a number of crashes and a couple of problems I didn't have with Alpha Build 3228. It seemed quite good when I tested it this afternoon on my XP machine on my workbench at my place of work so I reserve judgment on this until I have had more time, but heck it is only Beta 1.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW

Opera have available the Release Candidate of 10.50 Build 3291. For more information on this and the download link for the Classic Installer see http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog

It does install and run on 98SE without any additional software. Remember to remove the check under 'Discover Local Opera Unite Users' as even with Unite 'disabled' it will still try to make an UDP Outbound connection. Obviously the Opera developers have still not learnt what 'disabled' means.

After a few hours of testing I personally do not think it is any faster nor better in any way that 10.00 which is the version I have settled on. 

Guest wsxedcrfv

Could I get a brief summary of what Opera 10.x does for win-98 users that, say, Firefox 2.0.0.20 doesn't do (or doesn't do well) ?

Could I get a brief summary of what Opera 10.x does for win-98 users that, say, Firefox 2.0.0.20 doesn't do (or doesn't do well) ?

Newer, faster, technologically more advanced browser and also more secure - FF 2.0.0.20 was released in December 2008 (you can expect some security issue/issues with that version but on the other hand I don't know if they could affect Win9x users).