iTunes/iPod problem after formatting computer

Jman1993

I usually format my computer every 3-6 months. After formatting, I always have to reformat my ipod before iTunes allows me to put music on it, so I have to take off all 5,000 songs, then load all 5,000 songs back on, just to get 1 or 2 new songs. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jman1993

• 2 weeks later...

I usually format my computer every 3-6 months. After formatting, I always have to reformat my ipod before iTunes allows me to put music on it, so I have to take off all 5,000 songs, then load all 5,000 songs back on, just to get 1 or 2 new songs. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Yes there is: go to %appdata%

Now copy the Apple Computer folder to a backup location.

Now go to %localappdata% and copy Apple Computer to another backup folder (make sure you copy it to another folder and if you get any overwrite prompts you did it wrong)

Now go to c:\programdata, backup the apple and apple computer folders, make sure you backup the folder in a different location than the other 2.

Now when you reformat just copy the folder over before or after you install iTunes.

What you should do the next time you reformat, make 2 partitions, one for system and programs and another for data. Then you can move all of your personal folders (my music, my pictures, my videos, downloads etc) onto the 2nd partition (usually d:). Then you can hold the SHIFT key down and start iTunes. iTunes will then prompt you to pick a location to store the library files. I picked D:\iTunes. Then I moved all of my music and such there. That is better because the default would be your my music folder, but iTunes store videos, iPhone apps and other junk in your music folder, which just should be for music. That is why I suggest d:\ iTunes, because iTunes will then create d:\ iTunes\music, d:\ iTunes\movies, etc. Then you add go to your my music folder and add d:\ iTunes\music as a default location.

I know that's a lot to handle, but I think you will be fine. Also another suggestion, When you reformat again, get acronis true image or even use windows backup and create an image of the system. I did this. I installed my essential apps and configured settings and imaged my machine. So now instead of formatting I restore the image, update programs and any changes i need to make and immediately update the image. Way faster and easier than reformatting all the time. PLus if you keep your data on a separate partition you won't lose anything when you reformat

Edited by Seven Alive

Yes there is: go to %appdata%

Now copy the Apple Computer folder to a backup location.

Now go to %localappdata% and copy Apple Computer to another backup folder (make sure you copy it to another folder and if you get any overwrite prompts you did it wrong)

Now go to c:\programdata, backup the apple and apple computer folders, make sure you backup the folder in a different location than the other 2.

Now when you reformat just copy the folder over before or after you install iTunes.

What you should do the next time you reformat, make 2 partitions, one for system and programs and another for data. Then you can move all of your personal folders (my music, my pictures, my videos, downloads etc) onto the 2nd partition (usually d:). Then you can hold the SHIFT key down and start iTunes. iTunes will then prompt you to pick a location to store the library files. I picked D:\iTunes. Then I moved all of my music and such there. That is better because the default would be your my music folder, but iTunes store videos, iPhone apps and other junk in your music folder, which just should be for music. That is why I suggest d:\ iTunes, because iTunes will then create d:\ iTunes\music, d:\ iTunes\movies, etc. Then you add go to your my music folder and add d:\ iTunes\music as a default location.

I know that's a lot to handle, but I think you will be fine. Also another suggestion, When you reformat again, get acronis true image or even use windows backup and create an image of the system. I did this. I installed my essential apps and configured settings and imaged my machine. So now instead of formatting I restore the image, update programs and any changes i need to make and immediately update the image. Way faster and easier than reformatting all the time. PLus if you keep your data on a separate partition you won't lose anything when you reformat

Thank you so much for this information. I will try this in about 2 weeks and let you know if I did it right. I have been considering creating an image like you described, but I have just recently updated to Windows 7 and am getting used to all the new unattended/administrative install features.

Again, thank you very much for your help.