Tweaking old dell laptop

adrian2055

But not with a video chip of 7 years old I presume... They say they get 2.6 in Vista but that's with the no "go" version... (and I presume the 128bit memory version)

Edit: seems it can get up to some 2.8 out of 7.9 in Windows 7, I was expecting worse, more like the build in VGA driver that gives you a score of 1.0 ;). Any way, it will run glass way to slow, and for sure even hitting on the CPU as well...

@ jaclaz, nice p*ssy.

I also have similar hardware and I also get 2.0 and it aint slow

AMD Athlon 3700+

1 GB of ram

Geforce FX 5200 (still supports aero with Vista driver)

80 GB hdd

Like I said, upgrade your ram and hdd and you are more than set to run Windows 7

Edited by ricktendo64

Thanks for all the great input guys. I installed vista basic for now since I haven't upgraded the laptop yet and things are workingt out ok. I will move up to a higher version when the upgrades are complete. What size hard drive do you thing is best for vista or win 7? I have an external drive so I only want to get enough space for the os to run smoothly. I had one of these laptops before and I think I had to either use a registry hack or use an external program like yamicsoft vista manager to force it.

@ jaclaz :lol: (We won't ask where that Vista copy came from) ;).

@ adrian2055, get the 160GB as it's not sure it will "see" the whole 160GB. Note that there are 120GB drives that could be seen completely but they are the same price and in general a bit slower. Also, try the 1GB sticks in the shop you buy them in, almost sure that 512MB will work but 1GB sticks are a pain in the *ss when it comes to DDR1, memory speed should not make much difference.

1GB sticks are a pain in the *ss when it comes to DDR1

+that's an other $30 at least.

Why are the 1GB DDR sticks such a pain in the a**? I was going to put 2 1GB sticks in this laptop so I could max it out. Is there something I need to know before I purchase them?

Edited by adrian2055

Also in 200 (rare) and 266.

@ adrian2055, don't order them online that would be high risk if you did so as it's almost 70% certain it will not work, go to a computer-shop and let them test the memory before you leave the shop. It could be that the notebook doesn't "see" the whole 1GB module or doesn't boot up.

Also in 200 (rare) and 266.

@ adrian2055, don't order them online that would be high risk if you did so as it's almost 70% certain it will not work, go to a computer-shop and let them test the memory before you leave the shop. It could be that the notebook doesn't "see" the whole 1GB module or doesn't boot up.

Good thing you told me this. I was gonna buy 2 1GB sticks on eBay for $55. I checked at my local PC shops and only 1 shop carried them. They said that a 1GB stick cost $95 if that have it in stock :blink: . There's no way in h**l I'm paying that. 2 sticks would cost $190 before sales tax. I only paid $175 for the laptop. Oh dear. I don't know if this thing will function on vista or windows 7 with 2 512MB sticks.

Well, you could always buy them online and lose some cash on them if they don't work by selling them on ebay again, Newegg has these for 32USD each. That computer-shop must be dead soon with those prices, ripping off the locals...

If they're doing the install and testing and warrantying the work, it's not ridiculous. If they're just selling sticks on the shelf at that price with no value-add or additional warranty, then yes that is highway robbery.