Is this desktop dead?

adrian2055

A family member asked me to look at her pc to see if it was dead. The green light on the power supply lights up when I plug it in, but when I hit the power button nothing happens. Can this be fixed Is this pc dead?

The pc is an HPa1213w Desktop.

are you talking about green lights on the actual power supply or on the front of the case?

because if the lights briefly flash on or the cpu fan spins a tiny bit id say you could probably just change the powersupply

Do a quick test of the actual power supply.

Easiest is to use a tail lamp. 12V/5W+12V/21W

Connect the 5W to +5V/Ground (Red/Black) and the 21W to +12V/Ground (Yellow/Black).

atxcon1.gif

You will need to jumper two pins on the power supply connector to switch it on (as it is 99.99% an ATX power supply, i.e. the switch on the case is actually a push button) (Green/Black):

http://www.scary-terry.com/atxps/atxps.htm

jaclaz

Maybe but you need to know what's failing. I think it could be the PSU the mobo or the CPU. I'd check whether board capacitors seems OK; then I'd open the PSU to check capacitors again and clean it; then I'd check all power connections again (PSU to board, power cord, power switch to board) and try; then I'd clean fan and heatsink and I'd check CPU and CPU fan connection to board, and try; then if your board have a button cell, I'll try replacing it, and after that I'd reset BIOS values with jumper (see board manual) and try.

If none of the above works it's time to make hardware replacements to test.

+1 on the Powersupply, the green light shows that the 5V line is okay. Most likely a dead 12V line.

The motherboard has a SiS chipset that hasn't so much problems unlike a HP with nVidia 6100-6150/410-430 chipset; If that system came with the nVidia chipset you had to replace the mobo (but those are socket S939 and AM2) as they smoke out. A dead CPU is not likely...

Try to get another PSU and test it, best way, less fuzz ;).