Login problem

Aki

While my child was using Toshiba satellite with Windows XP today, warning messages of "Internet security 2010" started popping up all the time. So, I searched the internet to find out how to fix it. I found that Spybot Search & Destroy was recommened, so I downloaded this and removed infected files. After I restarted the computer, I cannot login. Three users are registered with this computer, so I restarted it, and clicked my icon to login. The computer starts loading Windows XP, but when I see the wallpaper, it starts logging off. I restarted the computer a couple times to login, but it is always the same way, and I cannot use this computer. Another user failed to login. How can I fix this problem? Since we got this virus infection today, I think it may be easier just to reset and restore the computer to the previous date. Is it possible to do it?

I would suggest that your login problem may be malware related. Malware comes in many forms and Spybot is basically an antispyware product looking for spyware. What you need is to run an alternative antivirus/antimalware product:

These are both free and extremely good products, if you can load up your system I'd suggest you try whichever of the two your system can manage.

This fake antivirus is a pretty tough thing to remove sometimes. Other anti-virus programs won't work likely, as they get flagged and get put in the registry as not being allowed to run. They are put in keys that you cannot see, ie it uses rootkit exploit.

If you can get into the desktop ANYWHERE, you can do 2 things:

1. Install Malwarebytes. GO to the folder it is installed, and rename mbam.exe to something else. Then run it. If this doesn't work then...

2. Copy Combofix to the machine. Rename it and run it. It may take up to 30 minutes to run.

There is the possibility, depending on the level of infection, that either of the above fixes will break Windows. These programs are tougher to remove on XP than on Vista or 7. A Repair install may be your final option.