NLite stopped working on Locating Windows Installation - SOLVED

DzigiBau

I spent hours to find solution on the problem when NLite 1.4.9.1 stops working after it copied Windows files to Hard Disk and wrote a message Locating Windows Installation, Scanning.

Scanning proces shows 50% of CPU usage, but nothing happens, although I left computer for whole hour, just to see if it would do something. I search here on forum and found out two posts with the same problem, but I can not see solution for this problem.

I tried

1. Installation of NLite on C: hard drive and creation of the folder C:\Nxp, nothing

2. Installation of NLite on D: drive and the folder D:\Nxp, nothing

3. Always used original Windows Installation CD, Service pack 2 to try integration of SATA drivers and Serice pack 3.

I would appreciate a help from someone who can solve this issue.

Edited by DzigiBau

Thank you 5eraph and Kiki Burgh.

There is no LastSession.ini file in any NLite folder as well as in the folder C:\Nxp where I copied fresh Windows installation files through NLite. After that, NLite stopped on the Location the Windows Installaction window with Scanning job. I used NLite on other machines and I am familiar about LastSession.ini files, they should be in my C:\Nxp folder, right.

Kiki, I read that 417 post previously. I did not find good solution or I might have understood it incorretly. On this computer, I did not have any folder for Windows installation files and never used NLite on this machine before. What I did is fresh installation of NLite 1.4.9.1 on drive C: and creation of simply C:\Nxp folder where I wanted to put fresh Windows instalaltion files throughout NLite procedure. Everything went well until it stucked on the Location Windows Instalaltion window.

I have NetFramework2, SP2, works with other software well.

Please, id I did something wrong redirect me to solution.

Edited by DzigiBau

hi DzigiBau!! please let me know if i understood this correctly ... you installed nLite to your running system, right? for you to be able to prepare an nLited iso that you'd later use for UA installed, you have to use your xp cd as fresh source (assuming you have it in drive d) or you'd have to copy the contents of your os cd to anywhere on drive c (ideally, you use the root as container for your copied i386 files at least) ... in your case xp files should be copied to C:\Nxp (so contents of which should have a dir structure like:

C:\Nxp\cmpnents

C:\Nxp\DOCS

C:\Nxp\DOTNETFX

C:\Nxp\I386 --- this is the most basic content that must be present for nLite to search through (you can ignore the other folders

C:\Nxp\IMAGES

C:\Nxp\SUPPORT

C:\Nxp\VALUEADD

this is where nLite will start to work from ... 5eraph's request for last session.ini was derived from the understanding that you completed your nLite run ... nLite cannot work with files that has been installed to the machine ... cheers!

DzigiBau, you said that the CPU is running at 50%. Please open your Task Manager and tell us what process is taking half the processor. If you click the CPU column, it will be sorted by usage. Click CPU again and the highest will be at the top. I assume you are copying from the original CD. Is anything really copied? Please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the CD. Do you see the CD activity LED blinking? Enjoy, John.

Let me try to make it more clear.

Kiki Burgh

I used NLite before on previous machine I had with no problems at all, which means I have a picture about whole procedure.

You are fully right. I have fresh Windows Installation CD, Service Pack 2. Put it here in my DVD ROM, opened NLite, clicked Next, opened DVD ROM drive where I selected Windows installation, than I choose folder C:\Nxp where it should copy files. NLite copied everything, fastly, I watched scale moving on very fast. After that, NLite changed to Locating the Windows Installation, it find Windows Profesional, Service Pack 2 and wrote message Scaning. That is point where it stops everytime. I checked folder C:\Nxp and all files and folders from Windows Instalaltion disk you told are there.

johnhc

I opened Task Manager, all other processes are 0%, the only running process is NLite with 50% which I left for an hour in Scaning possition. All files are copied to selected C:\Nxp folder as Kiki said, DVD ROM stops after coping. After that, nothing happened.

Any suggestions.

Edited by DzigiBau

DzigiBau, again, please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the CD. Also please look in your System Log (right click My Computer-click Manage- Expand Event Viewer and select System) for 'Bad block on CDROM' messages at the time you were doing the copy. Where did you get your copy of nLite? Did you check the MD5 after DL? Have you tried removing/reinstalling nLite? Enjoy, John.

DzigiBau, again, please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the CD. Also please look in your System Log (right click My Computer-click Manage- Expand Event Viewer and select System) for 'Bad block on CDROM' messages at the time you were doing the copy. Where did you get your copy of nLite? Did you check the MD5 after DL? Have you tried removing/reinstalling nLite? Enjoy, John.

johnhc

I do not have a software to make a shot of Windows Explorer, but anyway I have folowing folders inside my C:\Nxp folder

cmpnents

DOCS

I386

SUPPORT

VALUEADO

Autorun.inf

Setup.exe

setupxp.htm

tcpip.sys

win51

win51IP

win51IP.sp2

Opened Event Viewer and found nothing about erros, CD, DVD or NLite.

I found NLite here NLite Download Site

WHat is MD5.

As the result, I have nice installation, everything is fine. The problem come after coping Windows files to my fodler. I reinstalled NLite several times. Nothing. It stops after it come to Looking the Windows Installation and Scanning.

I found out that Size: is EMPTY, probably means that Scanning has not been performed well. I think the problem coulb in programing of scanning paths. I can not remember right now, but my previous success is related to FAT32 formatted hard disks, which are now NTFS. Scanning is problem for sure, but how to solve it I really have no clue.

Edited by DzigiBau

DzigiBau, you do not need any special SW to get a screen shot. Open My Computer, right click your optical drive with the Windows CD in it and click Explore. Then push Alt-Print Screen on your KB. This places the screen shot of the selected window on the clipboard. I then paste it into Paint and edit it of private information, if necessary. The MD5 is a hash code and will tell you if the DL went OK. If you look at the DL site you will see it. There are many free hash code calculators - I use HashTab. This almost absolutely assures you that the DL is good. If the posted MD5 and the computed one of your DLed file are different, you have a bad DL. Where did your CD come from? It looks like it may have some extra stuff in it. Is it OEM, Retail or is it a Recovery CD or something else? Are any of your files on a networked drive? Enjoy, John.

DzigiBau, you do not need any special SW to get a screen shot. Open My Computer, right click your optical drive with the Windows CD in it and click Explore. Then push Alt-Print Screen on your KB. This places the screen shot of the selected window on the clipboard. I then paste it into Paint and edit it of private information, if necessary. The MD5 is a hash code and will tell you if the DL went OK. If you look at the DL site you will see it. There are many free hash code calculators - I use HashTab. This almost absolutely assures you that the DL is good. If the posted MD5 and the computed one of your DLed file are different, you have a bad DL. Where did your CD come from? It looks like it may have some extra stuff in it. Is it OEM, Retail or is it a Recovery CD or something else? Are any of your files on a networked drive? Enjoy, John.

No, my Windows Installation CD came with the computer configuration from official dealer. I succeded before to make include SATA drivers in it, without a single problem. Now, with the newest configuration I have, with the same installation of NLite I downloaded few month before, I could not manage to make update Windows Installation. My wish, very simple one, is to inlude SATA drivers inside of it and to include SP3. Nothing spectacular.

Download is good, since it worked before, although I tried different download also.

Any further suggestions.

Any further suggestions.
DzigiBau, please post a screen shot of a Windows Explorer view of the CD and check the MD5 of your DL. The only other thing I can think of is your installation of .NET Framework. You could try removing and reinstalling it. You could also try starting with a new empty folder and do the copy of the Files/folders with a copy/paste operation. You need to make sure that Folder Options-View allow Hidden Files and Folders and System files and folders are not hidden. Good luck, John.

DzigiBau, one other idea to consider. You might try running with your security SW turned off. When I do this I unplug my modem to be sure there is no Internet traffic. Please let us know how you make out. Enjoy, John.

Thank you very much guys for your efforts, but I got no results. Although I have computing knowledge, this is obviously beyond it. :rolleyes:

I will try to give you as much as possible newer details, what I have tried according to your suggestions.

Whole day yesterday, I tried a lot of things.

- I have Net Framework 2, SP2, working, since there are software like ATI Catalyst which needs that and works properly.

- Made scandisk, more precisely chkdsk /r, both drives C: and D:

- Made defragmentation both drives C: and D:

- Reinstalled NLite using C: drive only for program and for copying of Windows files.

- Created new Ncd folder, put original Windows Installation disk I received with computer configuration from official dealer and NLite copied files in few minutes.

Than we approached to the point when it says Looking Windows Installation and stopped. CPU is stopped on 50%, there is no Hard Disk indicator led, assuming there is no activity. I turned Antivirus software off, even I removed it from StartUp option, leaving my computer openned for viruses :o just to see if NLite would start working.

Big Nothing. It stops here on the same Looking Windows Installation, Scanning job.

What I Have found as very interesting. If we presume there are few steps, Open Nlite, click Next, Open CD-Rom folder with Windows files, Copying files into C:\Ncd folder, then it comes to Looking Windows Installation, wait few momenst and it fills up data, like Windows Professional, Service Pack 2, number of version, but Size options stays EMPTY. That explains NLite really scans something and because it can not finish scanning procedure due to some lack, it is not possible to write size number.

I think that error is somewhere in scanning process which has a problem in gathering necessary files and information.

Any the newest suggestion I would really like to hear.

Edited by DzigiBau