How to change folder icon in the task bar

Hi guys,

I wish to change folder icon in the task bar, I have alredy changed the folder icon in "explorer.exe" but task bar icon has not changed. All the icons have already changed. I am also using iconpackager, but I am unable to change folder icon in the task bar.

See this screenshot.

post-269769-1264863063_thumb.jpg

which icon the yellow folder?

I delete all those and add my own I copy in

Yes the yellow one.................. I guess your reply is incomplete "I delete all those and add my own I copy in........?????????"

I am facing very strange problem. I have edited explorer.exe to change start button and folder icons. After that when I update my OS both the icons again changed to default icons. Now after updating I am unable to take ownership of explorer.exe. The registry of ownership doesn't show "Take Ownership" option when I right click on exlporer.exe. This is not only with explorer.exe but some other files as well. Though the option is visible with some files but not with others including exlporer.exe

Is there any other way to take ownership of explorer.exe????????????????????????

Edited by nice_guy75

Is there any other way to take ownership of explorer.exe????????????????????????
Try doing it manually

takeown.exe /f %WINDIR%\explorer.exe

icacls.exe %WINDIR%\explorer.exe /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F

Edited by MrJinje

Yes the yellow one.................. I guess your reply is incomplete "I delete all those and add my own I copy in........?????????"

No its not incomplete, right click and unpin them things and add your own icons you want, right click almost anything within 7 and you can pin to Start or Taskbar, taskbar is limited to 3 things and i don't care for the MS bs so i unpin them all.

Then I turn on Quicklaunch which has all my needed things with 6 or more icons down there.

Go to "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar", right click the Windows Explorer shortcut and change the icon (it may also be because you have not refreshed your icon cache)

Edited by ricktendo64

An easy way to get a customized folder link in the real taskbar (or better yet, multiple links without being forced into sub-groups) is to go through the url.dll.

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler C:\Users

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler D:\Install

This way all my folder shortcuts each get their own icon, and have their own button on the taskbar. I do not like them being grouped into explorer.exe.