Integrating Updates and Addons

domeShot

I am using nLite to integrate the latest Windows Updates, I am also integrating a WMP10 and IE8 Addon at the same time. The problem that Im having is when I reformat, get the files copied and it starts the Windows Setup it automatically restarts and a dialog box appears for only a split moment and says something about an error. I am using VirtualPC 2007 to test the Windows Installation.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this. I have attached my Last Session INI for information on what I am doing.

- Also is there anyway I can place all the Updates that I want into one .CAB file instead of all the .EXE Files?

Thanks,

domeShot©

Last_Session.ini

- Also is there anyway I can place all the Updates that I want into one .CAB file instead of all the .EXE Files?

If you are already using addons why not go a step further and use a updatepack. OnePiece, user_hidden and redxii all have updatepacks...they are basically what you want, all the updates extracted and packaged so that nLite integrates them neatly

Edited by ricktendo64

You can do them both (integrate updatepack/addons & remove components) at the same time, you integrate the updatepack with ie8, wmp10 or 11 and any other addons and you like, also remove any components you don't want in the same session...If the updatepack maker is like me he would have use [KeepFiles] and [NeededComponents] in their entries.ini to protect any components from nLite removal that will affect his/her updatepack

Just be conservative with what you remove

Edited by ricktendo64

Ok I've uploaded my INI. When I test the ISO on VirtualPC, I get an error that pops up for a moment and then goes away.... It restarts and does the same thing, so my question is am I doing something wrong within nLite or could it be the Updates I've integrated?

Last_Session.ini

Edited by domeShot

This is probably unrelated to your restarts but you cant directly integrate the following updates as they are if you are using WMP9 or WMP10.

D:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\Critical Updates\WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe

D:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\Critical Updates\WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB954155-x86-ENU.exe

D:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\Critical Updates\WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB968816-x86-ENU.exe

D:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\Critical Updates\WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ENU.exe

See this thread.

Unfortunately I don't have add-ons for WMP10 but you can use the integrate command for those 4 updates.

Integrate Usage: /integrate:path where path refers to the folder that contains the i386 folder.

Example: D:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\Critical Updates\WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe /integrate:C:\MyXPSource

Also, why do you have...

D:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\Windows Installer 3.1.cab? SP3 comes with 3.1 already

What is and why have you added WindowsMedia9-KB969878-x86-ENU.exe?

Why are u adding WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB963093-x86-ENU.exe? This is for Windows Search but you don't have it on your list.

WindowsXP-KB971961-JS57-x86-ENU.exe is for IE6 but you are integrating IE8.

The items listed above are not from an exhausted search. Just a cursory glance.

Did you use Windows Updates Downloader? I keep seeing errors like this when people use that. I would only download the critical updates when using it but you are still left with missing high-priority updates when doing that.

Just check your updates against my list but take into account that my list is for WMP9 and IE6.

http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html

I have a batch file that will download all the high-priority updates if you would like to use it. Just make sure you remove the 2 IE6 updates since you are going with IE8 (WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ENU.exe and WindowsXP-KB971961-JS57-x86-ENU.exe).

Use the IE8 ones :

1. If you're slipstreaming IE8 you should use IE8-WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ENU.exe.
  2. If you're slipstreaming IE8 you should use IE8-WindowsXP-KB971961-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB971961-JS57-x86-ENU.exe.

Edited by -X-

domeShot, sounds like you are getting a BSOD and automatic restart. If you can, during boot push F8 and go into Safe Mode. If you are successful, then Right click My Computer-Properties-Advanced tab-Startup and Recovery-Settings and uncheck Automatically Restart, then reboot. Your system should now stop on the BSOD. Please post the stop code and relevant data. Enjoy, John.

Thanks -X- and johnhc, I really appreciate the great help.

-X- : I will use your program and get the latest updates.

johnhc : I'll try that and post the "error screen" that appears before the restart. Once again Im using VirtualPC 2007, and its doing this right before the 'Windows XP Setup' dialog box appears

- Once again thanks a million for the help.

Edited by domeShot

domeShot, I also use 512MB RAM in VMware Server, so this should be plenty. What size virtual HDD do you have? I use 8-10 GB. Have you responded to -X-'s reply concerning the correct updates? I run XP x64, so am not familiar with XP updates, but have you considered an UpdatePack? At this time, I don't think you have an update problem but maybe your virtual HDD is too small. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

Well to -X-'s question : I downloaded your update client and ran the .cmd and downloaded the updates.

johnhc: I am using 10GB and 512MB RAM, I will try increasing the HD to 15GB and see how that falls together. I will post and give you guys the latest.

Thanks,

domeShot©

Edited by domeShot

domeShot, 10 GB HDD should be way more than enough. What is the size of your ISO? Did you start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only once? There are loads of hits on Google and here on the lsass.exe error. Please do some looking at them. Some seem to think it is an update causing the problem. As a test, remove all your updates and build a quick ISO and try it. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

I suspect its due to some of the updates you are integrating...they are not all supported plus you don't need to add any updates for the ie8 or wmp10 addons they should be already updated

OH and rootsupdate is not compatible with nLite

Not necessarily. There are IE8 & WMP add-ons that don't include updates.

Perhaps if he told us more about WMP10.cab and Internet Explorer 8.0.cab we could steer him more accurately. Where did you get them or did you make them yourself? Are they svcpack addons?