Using W2kP past July 13 2010

Browncoat

Now my previous posts got wiped, admins looking into it, but I've read Fred Vorcks' stuff et al.

Even FDV has said he's going XP, confusing the hell out of me. :huh:

Now everyone here seems familiar with Gurgelmeyer's unofficial SP 5. That's what I'm interested in,

creating a companion CD/DVD for my already integrated VL NFR SP4 2000 CD, containing all or just what I need in

security updates/hotfixes. The main application would be Home Theatre PCs, which except for NIST time setting would be offlined

24/7. It would save me from buying multiple copies of OSs that need activation.

For the Workstation, I foresee myself, if not using XP, then dual-booting W7 with W2kP.

W7 when online, W2kP for running the old productivity software and stuff offline.

Now at the risk of sounding like a total noob.......can I do that with HFSLIP?

Just a second disc, like the SP5 but with everything up to July 13 & not the whole kit, or do you have other utilities in mind?

Thanks for any input.

Apologies if this has been brought up already.

:)

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5326

Here you can find a list of sorted win2k updates. All the obsolete ones are already weeded out.

OR you can just use that update pack.

Yup, that's what I want to do, leave the VL NFR CD alone, create a second CD/DVD, with more than what the

SP5 disk has and have it run like a normal Windows update, as described in the text for that old file.

I'll check out the link.

EDIT:Reading it now, still supported?

Edited by Browncoat

Instead of using the old gurglemeyer package, install the lastest hotfixes right from msft. See the 2k update list that is stickied in this forum for the hotfixes required.

I saw, I read, bit 'o work but willing if I can get HFSLIP to make it an install package.

Thanks tommyp for all your work.

I downloaded it and checked its structure. Indeed it will not work with HFSLIP.

I was going to suggest expanding the .7z and compressing the files and putting them into the REPLACE/i386 directory, but that's so much work (and you might accidentally compress a file that is not compressed and thereby fail to replace it).

It might seem a lot of work, and that RyanVM hotfix list does look mighty long, but if you see the official TommyP hotfix list on my site, it's really not that much. Tom also trims out obsolete fixes. It will take you maybe 20 minutes to D/L everything and put it into HF, and you'll have an easier time going forward.

I downloaded it and checked its structure. Indeed it will not work with HFSLIP.

It might seem a lot of work, and that RyanVM hotfix list does look mighty long, but if you see the official TommyP hotfix list on my site, it's really not that much. Tom also trims out obsolete fixes. It will take you maybe 20 minutes to D/L everything and put it into HF, and you'll have an easier time going forward.

Oh, hi Fred,

didn't think I'd hear from you but nice that you chimed in :), still reading your remove IE article but if i keep 2000 off line past July 13th,

I may not bother, I just want to slap the tuners in, hookup the drives, give 'em W2kP then install the apps and go in one afternoon.

Backing up everything now prior to experimenting with those little CF to IDE/SATA and SD to IDE/SATA adapters to see if they're really faster

booting than mechanical drives, then the big HDDs will just have the movies and tv shows on them. 2000 does have poorer wake up

from standby and hibernation but i got around that using the 'watch' option to wake up the slug for the evening and cycle the app off,

then with the PC idling both are ready to record on time. Also while reading up on HFSLIP, been reading on nLite as well.

Right now my head hurts and i need a sandwich!......later.

:thumbup to all you guys!

That link is far from slipstreaming hotfixes, it's just a fancy post-windows-install hotfix installer. To each their own. Good luck.

Well, I'm not giving up, still on a learning curve here.

For you creators here its' easy but I'm an old dog learning new tricks.

:)

Plus I'm mainly a hardware tinkerer, even that old Sinclair ZX, I had to wait for others to come up with the apps.