how do I get a partition back?

There is that old 160GB HDD, with XP on partition C (about 50GBs) and other files on D (about 110GBs).

Few days ago I tried to install W7. When it showed me the partitions to use for installation, there was a big unallocated space (I think about the size of the D drive - 110GBs), so I chose it to make a new partition and to install W7 on it.

1)I know there was partition D with some files on it because I used the command utility (which comes with the W7 installation CD) to check what was in my HDD, and I`ve seen my files on C and D.

2)I knew that "unallocated space" had something to do with the D partitition", but I thought it was just showing me the left space on the D partition; now I know that`s not true!!

So, how do I get my old D partition (or merely the files that were on it) back?

Paying a ransom? :blink:

Naaah, better trying TESTDISK on it (if the filesystem structures are still good - which I doubt if you overwrote it by installng Windows 7 on it) or PHOTOREC (for file based only recovery):

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

In any case it is STRONGLY recommended that you image the drive on another one; if you need to use PHOTOREC you will need ANYWAY another hard disk to store the recovered files.

jaclaz

Hard to say, it does seems like a well messed up drive....:ph34r:

A likely candidate is the one sized 269554572 sectors ( marked as [D] ), but since 269554572*512/1024/1024/1024=÷128 Gb either you remember wrong about the 110 gb size or it isn't it. :unsure:

jaclaz

Hard to say, it does seems like a well messed up drive....ph34r.gif

A likely candidate is the one sized 269554572 sectors ( marked as [D] ), but since 269554572*512/1024/1024/1024=÷128 Gb either you remember wrong about the 110 gb size or it isn't it. unsure.gif

jaclaz

It`s most probably as you say; but as you notice that it only showed up using the testdisk_win.exe, but I got a different table for the photorec_win.exe !

So, I can`t choose that option for recovery.

Edited by wajed

It`s most probably as you say; but as you notice that it only showed up using the testdisk_win.exe, but I got a different table for the photorec_win.exe !

So, I can`t choose that option for recovery.

Well, you need to study a bit more the concepts behind the use of the two apps.

The GOOD news are that IF the 138 Gb partition is the right one, it strted on Cylinder 2677, whilst your "new" partitioning scheme appears like starting at Cyl 1912: this means that you have 2677-1912=765 Cyl x 255 Heads x 63 Sects=12,289,725 Sectors x 512=6,292,339,200 bytes (roughly 6 Gb) to allow for the filesystem structures and data of the "new" partition, which gives you (depending of course on the amount of data you copied to that new partition) reasonable hope that the "old" partition filesystem and data has NOT been overwritten.

Put aside PHOTOREC for the moment.

In TESTDISK, get to the same point where you took the scrrenshot.

Use the down key until you highlight the "269554572" partition and press ENTER.

What happens?

jaclaz

Well, you need to study a bit more the concepts behind the use of the two apps.

The GOOD news are that IF the 138 Gb partition is the right one, it strted on Cylinder 2677, whilst your "new" partitioning scheme appears like starting at Cyl 1912: this means that you have 2677-1912=765 Cyl x 255 Heads x 63 Sects=12,289,725 Sectors x 512=6,292,339,200 bytes (roughly 6 Gb) to allow for the filesystem structures and data of the "new" partition, which gives you (depending of course on the amount of data you copied to that new partition) reasonable hope that the "old" partition filesystem and data has NOT been overwritten.

Put aside PHOTOREC for the moment.

In TESTDISK, get to the same point where you took the scrrenshot.

Use the down key until you highlight the "269554572" partition and press ENTER.

What happens?

jaclaz

"No partition found or selected for recovery" :S :|

It worked for me, I asked to write the partition table (or something named like that), then I rebooted and found the partition with all my files.

Thank you very (very) much :)

Edited by wajed

Thank you very (very) much :)

Happy there is yet another happy bunny around ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...28727&st=10

Please do understand that you were EXTREMELY LUCKY, in the sense that your new partitioning scheme had second partition beginning well before the old one and that the latter wasn't overwritten :ph34r: .

The message is:

1. be very careful when playing with partitioning/formatting
  2. BACKUP your data

:)

jaclaz

There is that old 160GB HDD, with XP on partition C (about 50GBs) and other files on D (about 110GBs).

Few days ago I tried to install W7. When it showed me the partitions to use for installation, there was a big unallocated space (I think about the size of the D drive - 110GBs), so I chose it to make a new partition and to install W7 on it.

1)I know there was partition D with some files on it because I used the command utility (which comes with the W7 installation CD) to check what was in my HDD, and I`ve seen my files on C and D.

2)I knew that "unallocated space" had something to do with the D partitition", but I thought it was just showing me the left space on the D partition; now I know that`s not true!!

sorry, his views of the scenario you have installed the operating system while the files you are connected to the drive C, you are using recovery software? let you use the software R-studio recovery

@kang roy

In case you haven't noticed, the issue wajed had was solved, he recovered the files he needed and he needs not to perform additional recovery.

Anyway I cannot understand anything of your post. :unsure:

If you need help in something, please start a new thread.

Try to write short and simple sentences, I really don't understand if what you posted is a question, a suggestion or what :w00t:.

jaclaz