Microsofts Website Problems

I'm having problems accessing Microsofts website. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. At first I thought I just had a virus on my computer so I reformatted my computer. Then I thought Microsoft may be blocking my IP so I changed my IP. I'm out of ideas. What else could possibly be blocking Microsofts website? Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having problems accessing Microsofts website. <snip> Then I thought Microsoft may be blocking my IP <snip>
Could you please describe the symptoms? Examples -

- Clicked on "Windows Update" and got message/screen "yadayada"

- Tried to go to MS-dot-COM and got message/screen "yadayada"

Please clarify ( never heard of MS "blocking" an IP )...

I'm having problems accessing Microsofts website. <snip> Then I thought Microsoft may be blocking my IP <snip>
Could you please describe the symptoms? Examples -

- Clicked on "Windows Update" and got message/screen "yadayada"

- Tried to go to MS-dot-COM and got message/screen "yadayada"

Please clarify ( never heard of MS "blocking" an IP )...

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/C...SF/sypmtoms.jpg

Every microsoft website does that to me. There isn't much else to say.

I can ping every website i try but microsoft.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.47.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.47.99: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53
Reply from 74.125.47.99: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=53
Reply from 74.125.47.99: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=53
Reply from 74.125.47.99: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 74.125.47.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 22ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping microsoft.com
Ping request could not find host microsoft.com. Please check the name and try ag
ain.

Since you can't get to MS-dot-COM, here is a PDF version of MS KB314057 "How to Troubleshoot TCP/IP Connectivity in Windows XP". Are you behind a bad/misconfigured router ("ipconfig /all" from CMD prompt will reveal DNS Names)?

Since you can't get to MS-dot-COM, here is a PDF version of MS KB314057 "How to Troubleshoot TCP/IP Connectivity in Windows XP". Are you behind a bad/misconfigured router ("ipconfig /all" from CMD prompt will reveal DNS Names)?

I did everything the PDF file says. Everything works fine.

I have tried about 10 different internet connections and ALL of them are working perfectly except on Microsofts website.

try http://207.46.232.182 (microsoft.com's IP) -if this works, then its a DNS issue. contact your ISP, or use alternate DNS (openDNS/GoogleDNS -which is 8.8.8.8 BTW)

if that doesnt work try this:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infec...cfeyechart.html

yes I know its a clean install but it takes about 10 seconds to get infected if there is another infected machine on your network and one of the symptoms in most variants is microsoft.com being blocked.

try http://207.46.232.182 (microsoft.com's IP) -if this works, then its a DNS issue. contact your ISP, or use alternate DNS (openDNS/GoogleDNS -which is 8.8.8.8 BTW)

if that doesnt work try this:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infec...cfeyechart.html

yes I know its a clean install but it takes about 10 seconds to get infected if there is another infected machine on your network and one of the symptoms in most variants is microsoft.com being blocked.

The direct link with the IP did not work.

As for the second link I might have this if the website is accurate.

= Possibly Infected by Conficker A/B variant

yeah its not a conclusive test or anything but if those images arent showing and you cant access microsoft, then id say there is about a 90% chance you have conficker living elsewhere on your network that infected this machine.

If you havent gotten too attached to this install i would just unplug from the network, reinstall, load this patch (KB958644) and possibly an antivirus BEFORE connecting to the network.

If youve become attached to this install of windows, there are several ways to deal with it which are discussed in depth here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dd452420.aspx

Ideally, you want KB958644 installed on every machine on your network -not just the ones with symptoms

moving this to the Malware forum...

yeah its not a conclusive test or anything but if those images arent showing and you cant access microsoft, then id say there is about a 90% chance you have conficker living elsewhere on your network that infected this machine.

If you havent gotten too attached to this install i would just unplug from the network, reinstall, load this patch (KB958644) and possibly an antivirus BEFORE connecting to the network.

If youve become attached to this install of windows, there are several ways to deal with it which are discussed in depth here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dd452420.aspx

Ideally, you want KB958644 installed on every machine on your network -not just the ones with symptoms

moving this to the Malware forum...

You gotta give me a direct link to the download. Remember I can't access their website?

Again I can't see that link.

No I'm not attached to this installation of windows. I reformat AT LEAST once a month.

Considering your symptoms are classic Conficker worm symptoms, I'd say it would be best to do these (at least 4, possibly 6) things:

1. Remove the computer from any network connections - it's an active aggressor in trying to infect other machines, removable media, etc. Pull the network plug!
  2. From another non-infected PC, download Microsoft's latest Malicious Software Removal Tool release
  3. Optional - from another non-infected PC, download the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials and the latest definition files
  4. Again, from another non-infected PC, copy the MSRT (and MSE, if you downloaded it from the link above) to a USB key or burn to a CD (if you copy these files to a USB key, mark it read-only before you plug it into the affected PC or the USB key will become infected as well)
  5. Install and run the MSRT on the infected machine (still unplugged from any network connections) to clean the infection of the Conficker worm
  6. Optional - if you downloaded MSE and the latest definitions, install both MSE and the latest definitions to scan the machine for the existence of any other malware or virus activity - clean anything found. If anything is found, scan again (and again, and again) until the machine is listed as "clean".

Once the machine is clean, enable the Windows firewall or any installed 3rd party firewall software (if it isn't enabled) and visit the Windows Update site to make sure you have all the latest service packs and patches for your OS (considering this was first patched back in October 2008, and you're infected, it sounds like you may have fallen behind).

Considering your symptoms are classic Conficker worm symptoms, I'd say it would be best to do these (at least 4, possibly 6) things:

1. Remove the computer from any network connections - it's an active aggressor in trying to infect other machines, removable media, etc. Pull the network plug!
  2. From another non-infected PC, download Microsoft's latest Malicious Software Removal Tool release
  3. Optional - from another non-infected PC, download the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials and the latest definition files
  4. Again, from another non-infected PC, copy the MSRT (and MSE, if you downloaded it from the link above) to a USB key or burn to a CD (if you copy these files to a USB key, mark it read-only before you plug it into the affected PC or the USB key will become infected as well)
  5. Install and run the MSRT on the infected machine (still unplugged from any network connections) to clean the infection of the Conficker worm
  6. Optional - if you downloaded MSE and the latest definitions, install both MSE and the latest definitions to scan the machine for the existence of any other malware or virus activity - clean anything found. If anything is found, scan again (and again, and again) until the machine is listed as "clean".

Once the machine is clean, enable the Windows firewall or any installed 3rd party firewall software (if it isn't enabled) and visit the Windows Update site to make sure you have all the latest service packs and patches for your OS (considering this was first patched back in October 2008, and you're infected, it sounds like you may have fallen behind).

This tool did the trick.

Or, F-Secure also has a removal tool available, however the f-secure.com domain is in the blocked list of domain names above. Using an IP address instead of the hostname will bypass the worm's blocking routines, so that tool could be downloaded by infected systems at this URL:

ftp://193.110.109.53/anti-virus/tools/beta/f-downadup.zip.

I reformat AT LEAST once a month.