Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

You just need to update your ReadMe text file now. ;)

HTH

ok, not really been very clear with my README, I am sorry for my bad English :}

but I'll edit soon ok, try to explain how it works in more detail

Edited by BeatZero

Now if only RLoew's RAM patch worked in 95 :whistle:

I looked at the 1217 Version of Windows 95 VMM.VXD.

Making a Version of my Patch for Windows 95 looks doable, but requies more extensive modifications, since it was designed for even less Memory than Windows 98.

I do not have a Windows 95 Test Setup.

Now if only RLoew's RAM patch worked in 95 :whistle:

I looked at the 1217 Version of Windows 95 VMM.VXD.

Making a Version of my Patch for Windows 95 looks doable, but requies more extensive modifications, since it was designed for even less Memory than Windows 98.

I do not have a Windows 95 Test Setup.

I'll be your first volunteer :thumbup

If you're willing to give it a shot, I'll test it as many times as you need me to.

I have copies of Windows 95 B and C, and the motherboard that I used for the processor test can use up to 2GB RAM. I have some boards that can use 4GB as well.

I looked at VMM.VXD in my 95C setup and I have version 1216.

**EDIT 2-10-2010**

Incorrect information removed.

VMM32.VXD was modified by the USBSUPP.EXE patch, it no longer has a Version tab and there are also VMM32.TMP and VMM32.o20, all modified/created on the day I installed that patch.

Edited by LoneCrusader

... there are also VMM32.TMP and VMM32.o20, all modified/created on the day I installed that patch.
Those are backup copies made by installs such as DUN14. Their purpose is to restore older versions of those files in case you decide to uninstall the newer one.

So if the new one works ok, you can safely delete the older backups.

HTH

I looked at VMM.VXD in my 95C setup and I have version 1216. VMM32.VXD seems to have been modified by the DUN14-95.EXE patch, it no longer has a Version tab and there are also VMM32.TMP and VMM32.o20, all modified/created on the day I installed that patch.

When a file that exists inside VMM32.VxD is present also in the %windir%/SYSTEM/VMM32 folder, the version in that folder gets loaded instead of the one packed inside VMM32.VxD.

Moreover, during the compilation of VMM32.VxD, windows strips the version info from the VxDs it'll then pack together, so that when you extract any VxD from inside VMM32.VxD, you'll get a file lacking the version info, although otherwise perfect and functional. So, a binary comparison with the original VxD is the only way to confirm the version of a VxD extracted from VMM32.VxD: if you compare it to the right original file, it'll be byte-by-byte identical, except for lacking the version info section. I use BeyondCompare to do it, but that's not a free software, so maybe you'll prefer to use some freeware alternative to it...

In order to see a list of all the VxDs inside VMM32.VxD (or extract some or all of them, if you so want) you'll need Clive Turvey's VxDLib. VxDLib can also repack files into VMM32.VxD (but this one feature I never did test myself)...

And to see what VxD are loaded and running in your system, in real time, you'll need the fantastic APSoft VxDView.

And, last, but not least, The Truth About VMM32.VXD is the best article about VMM32.VxD I've ever found, and much worthy of being read.

I use BeyondCompare to do it, but that's not a free software, so maybe you'll prefer to use some freeware alternative to it...

If I am not mistaken :unsure: TinyHexer runs on Win9x/Me, only it does not have direct disk access under non-NT OS.

It has both a "normal" hex comparison feature and a script to find file differencies:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8734

jaclaz

Hi LoneCrusader, MDGx, Dencorso

I built a Slipstreamer to implement this project automatically installing Windows 95.

give me some feedback

**EDIT 2-10-2010**

In RE: Slipstreaming this Fix

It appears that this issue cannot be fixed by slipstreaming. Slipstreaming does not allow the VMM32.VXD system file to be properly compressed during the first reboot. If the updated files are introduced to the system before the first reboot and the IOS error take place, WININIT will fail to combine various VXD's into VMM32.VXD.

Edited by LoneCrusader

@LoneCrusader

for some reason the 7za.exe failed to extract the files SETUPC.INF,LAYOUT.INF,NET.INF and NETCLI.INF of PRECOPY2.CAB

(perhaps one difference in the CAB version?)

edit CPUFIX.BAT:

replace:

7za.EXE X -y PRECOPY2.CAB SETUPC.INF

7za.EXE X -y PRECOPY2.CAB LAYOUT.INF

7za.EXE X -y PRECOPY2.CAB NET.INF

7za.EXE X -y PRECOPY2.CAB NETCLI.INF

to:

EXTRACt.EXE /Y /a PRECOPY2.CAB SETUPC.INF

EXTRACt.EXE /Y /a PRECOPY2.CAB LAYOUT.INF

EXTRACt.EXE /Y /a PRECOPY2.CAB NET.INF

EXTRACt.EXE /Y /a PRECOPY2.CAB NETCLI.INF

BeatZero

Edited by BeatZero

**EDIT 2-10-2010**

It appears that this issue cannot be fixed by slipstreaming. Slipstreaming does not allow the VMM32.VXD system file to be properly compressed during the first reboot. If the updated files are introduced to the system before the first reboot and the IOS error take place, WININIT will fail to combine various VXD's into VMM32.VXD.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Thank you for reporting

Ok, these files are now properly extracted, however it is extremely slow.

This was the reason for choosing the 7za.exe, I will try unRAR.exe

"Warning - VMM32.TMP integrity check failed"

This appears on the first reboot, then no more

DUN14-95 was not automatically installed by Setup however.

I'm working on it, I see that should be written in a file cpufix.bat different for each version of win95 (A, B & C)

"there may be conflict with the msbatch, if you are using"

BeatZero

Edited by BeatZero

Why not EXTRACT.EXE? :whistle:

jaclaz

extract.exe takes a long time to extract 4 small files

7za.exe presented error when extracting

The unRAR.exe satisfactorily perform well in both situations :thumbup

Edited by BeatZero

**EDIT 2-10-2010**

Edited by LoneCrusader