Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

So I take it you are still getting the Windows Protection Error?

Try disabling the CDROM drive again once you have run SETUP and FIX95CPU if this is the case. A CDROM drive should not be causing problems like this... If you can get past the Windows Protection Error then it can be set up later. If the CDROM is indeed causing these problems, it may indicate a hardware problem with it. Otherwise it would seem that your system and Windows 95 just don't get along for some reason. :}

Yes Windows Protection error. Disabling CD Rom as you suggest makes no difference. I eliminated hardware as my original XP works perfectly on reinstall. I wonder if the Win95 CD is faulty. Is there somewhere to download a copy so I can test that? Otherwise it seems there is no other solution?

Unless you have a strong reason for sticking with Win95, I'd suggest trying Win98SE. It's more flexible, has powerful updates (official and unofficial) and may just fit the job. If you can find an original CD with valid key and the price is affordable then you may try this.

Just out of curiosity: how much did the 95 CD cost, all in all and how much would a 98SE one cost, if available at the same store?

New 95CD fails. I think this is the end of the line!

Sorry to hear it, that machine must really not like Windows 95...  :no:

Do try Windows 98SE if you can obtain a copy; if it works then all your efforts won't have been in vain, you can still use it for everything you could use Windows 95 for. :}

I have a lot of very old programs and as I have retired I wanted to get back to them hence the win 95. I will try to get win 98 but the cost of 95 was £6 (via eBay) and the other one goes back to when I had it installed originally. Best price I can see for win 98SE is about £17 - much of that is postage as they are mostly from USA. Thanks again for all the effort. It was certainly a learning experience.

Let's clear up some confusion. This is the Specs for your VAIO Laptop.

http://download.sony-europe.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/FX/FX800/FX800_T_UK.pdf

Sony (VAIO) PCG-9G3M
Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP 1500+
*not 1.2ghz - 1.3 "real" mounted in this "socket" -

- http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile%20Athlon%20XP-M%201500%2B%20-%20AXMS1500GXS3C.html

*Note - the above *may* be a different variation, but still should hold up as far as specs
30GB HDD (*not* 32GB)
128MB RAM
Mats-hita UJDA 730 DVD/CDRW Combo (i.e. Sony/Panasonic)
Type-III PCMCIA (CardBus) Slot
Floppy Drive
*All the other stuff listed
**Originally loaded with Windows XP Home

1 - Boot from Floppy as previously told (WITH CD-Rom Drivers, because *should* work!)

2 - "FDISK" Delete/Reboot/Create "Max Partition Size"/Reboot

3 - "FORMAT C:" - DO NOT USE "/S" (this will copy Win98 SYS files to the C-Drive, let's be consistent)

4 - "MD C:\WIN95"

5 - "DIR D:\WIN95\*.*" (*should* be the DVD-Drive and *should* list the Install Folder)

* - At this point, if it does *not* list the DVD Contents, we have a problem...

6 - "COPY x:\WIN95\*.* C:\WIN95" (x=CD Drive Letter, *better* be "D")

7 - "CD C:\WIN95"

8 - "C:"

9 - "SETUP.EXE" (NOW procede to follow LC's FIXCPU Install Instructions)

I see absolutely no reason for any problems *except* any other Peripheral Hardware (i.e. the PCMCIA) Driver problems. DO NOT try using any other CD-ROM drivers until we get past the Install as the Provided Win95B sould suffice. The *only* thing I could imagine goung "wrong" is the fact that your 95B CD is made from a non-VAIO and *may* contain "extraneous" Files *not* part of a Basic Win95 Install Set (IOW, OEM's would "override" some Install stuff with OEM-Specific modules). What I'm saying is if that's an (e.g.) Gateway CD, it *may* have Gateway-Specific Files in the Win95 Folder that (hopefully) won't be detected and used/installed.

HTH and do tell us how *this* procedure goes.

Edited by submix8c

Did exactly what you indicated and reinstalled the setup.exe from the C: drive. No change. The message is the same. In view of your comments about the installation disk I tried creating a startup floppy on the Sony but it does not have CD support so I cannot progress. The instruction (line 5) did show the CD drive as E: with the setup.exe file. Not sure what is using D: It is recognised and has a directory. Not seen that with the other instruction I have followed previously. 

If you seen the (line 5) E-drive, then that would be your CD that you *should* be using and it *does* see it.

That is, unless that's your Partition on HDD from previous attempts (doubt it). :crazy:

"I tried creating a startup floppy on the Sony but it does not have CD support" <-makes absoulutely *no* sense based on your other statements.

Now, can tell us what lists on the D-Drive by doing a DIR from the Floppy's Command Prompt? (see next paragraph)

You should have absolutely *no other devices* plugged in, including a USB Stick/Drive when trying to follow my instructions. Remove *all* items attached *except* inserting the Floppy Boot and the CD into the DVD Reader. DOS (the Booted Floppy) should *only* see itself (A:), the HDD (C:), and the CD (D:).

Startup created during win95 installation - therefore on the Sony. The startup does not have CD support.

I have no devices attached.

There is a directory on the D: drive hence the cd rom is E:

This is reaching ludicrous proportions and whilst I have responded to your efforts by staying with it. I think enough is enough.

I have checked the RAM but the battery is failing after 11 years and this might be the problem with Windows 95?

I am giving up. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Well...

Startup created during win95 installation - therefore on the Sony. The startup does not have CD support.

I have no devices attached.

There is a directory on the D: drive hence the cd rom is E:

Wrong Floppy. Do *not* use it as it will *not* give you CD-ROM drivers! I thought you created one from here?

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

"Windows 95 Version B" has several "generic" CD-Rom drivers.

Both "Windows 98 OEM" and "Windows 98 SE OEM" has the OAKCDROM driver (which *should* work).

Note:

Win98SE BootDisk Floppy (when you boot to it) creates a Ramdrive. *IF* you already have a HDD Partition ("C:")then it will be assigned "D:" and CD/DVD will be "E:". If you do *not* have an HDD Partition then you *will* get a message indicating that *and* Ramdrive will be "C:" and CD/DVD will be "D:". This is why you should be doing "Step#1/Step#2" with *this* downloaded Floppy.

Correction to instructions:

5 - "DIR E:\WIN95\*.*" (*should* be the DVD-Drive and *should* list the Install Folder)

* - At this point, if it does *not* list the DVD Contents, we have a problem...

6 - "COPY x:\WIN95\*.* C:\WIN95" (x=CD Drive Letter, *better* be "D")

BTW, after you run SETUP, do *not* create another Startup Disk as it *will* overwrite your 98SE Boot Floppy. You *can* make another one later from the OS.

I have checked the RAM but the battery is failing after 11 years and this might be the problem with Windows 95?

Maybe (doubt it), but don't you have a Power Adapter for it? :unsure: Just turning it on without one *will* drain it.

I am giving up. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Sorry to hear that. :( And you're welcome. If you *do* have a Power Adapter, by all means try using my instructions.

I've completed a Test Install of 95B using them on a VirtualPC as we speak. Several Driver items need to be installed (Quesion Marks in Device Manager for e.g. Intel) but it does run. I have also prepared instructions to transfer Win98SE CD/DVD files to the Win95B Boot disk (altered AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS) if you choose to attempt this by following my (corrected) instructions *to the letter*.

BTW, several of us are oldsters (jaclaz as well - sorry, dude) but we have more experience, so don't feel bad. ;) Later.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this patch LoneCrusader!

I desperately needed to get Win95 running for one of my lab instruments as the old 386 that was attached to it had failed (after almost 20 years of daily use!). I transferred the hard disk from the 386 to an oldish Pentium 2.6Ghz I found, but ended up with the "Device IOS" error. Ran the amdk6upd.exe patch I found elsewhere, but then got stuck with the NDIS error. Thank goodness I found this forum thread. Your patch worked beautifully. Win95 is running like a ferrari now. I don't have to replace the instrument for another couple of years at least. And my lab can continue with their work. Now I just need to back up the entire hard disk in case that ever fails...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by chiakaivalya