Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

I am using Windows 95 installation disk original - not a copy. BTW? - what is this? CDMKE comes up on my device manager in win95 safe mode as not properly installed - no idea why. mkecd seems to relate to specific make of CD rom. Mine is Matshita. I have reinstalled XP on the Sony and just noticed that the processor is 1.3ghz. Surely that should not need your FIX95CPU? If that is true what else could cause the error message. I have tried all the options in - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/136337 to cover other problems but nothing works. Have we reached the end of the line?

Some CPUs at ~1GHz do still need FIX95CPU, as the original AMDK6UPD package applied to AMD CPUs as slow as 350MHz. Intel CPUs were affected as well, but the issue did not appear until a somewhat faster clock speed.

There are many things that can cause a Windows Protection Error, it's a real pain that no other information is given, not even the name of the file causing the crash... :wacko:

I'm almost out of ideas, but let's start from the beginning and see if we may be missing something...

You already said the CPU as 1.3GHz...

You already said you have 256MB of RAM...

Did you completely repartition and reformat the hard drive in this machine?

Are the HDD and CDROM drives in this machine IDE PATA or SATA?

What is the size of the HDD?

Does this laptop have a Floppy Drive? (I assume yes based on what you said before?)

Are you certain you have a good copy of Windows 95? (No file corruption, etc?)

Is it a CDROM or a set of Floppies?

Is it 95 RTM or 95 OSR2? (I assume OSR2 because you said it was 95 B?)

When installing did you disable every extraneous device (audio/lan/modem/etc) and leave them off until you're able to boot to the Desktop? (You can leave the CDROM on lol)

How did you end up with the DOS CDROM drivers you mentioned? I have never encountered these particular files...

You installed FIX95CPU version 3... did it print any errors?

When did you install FIX95CPU? After SETUP asks to reboot for the first time or later?

Did the second phase of SETUP complete after the first reboot, or did it start crashing at this point?

You mentioned the Sony CD's having drivers - unless these drivers are stated to be specifically for Windows 95 DO NOT attempt to install them to your system. If they don't contain things specifically for 95 they are virtually useless to you unless you are putting back XP or whatever came on the system originally.

Edited by LoneCrusader

@LC: I think you may have missed the bits below. :unsure:

RAM 256.

I noticed there are 2 bootlogs and I have checked the fails on the other one (prv). CDMKE.SYS fails - several items under that heading . No other failures. Very limited options in bios but I have disabled the dcrom at startup. No effect. I noticed the font but cannot find it on a search in the fonts so I don't know why it is trying to load it. In safe mode my cdrom is not recognised and all my efforts to correct that have failed. I thought if I had a cd I could try loading some drivers from the Sony install cds which have all the drivers. Any other thoughts? If not I will have to give up which I find very frustating. In that case I thank everyone who has tried to help me.

CDMKE.SYS? That's a DOS driver... (BTW it might be useful for getting the CD Driver recognized in Safe Mode). Where did that come from? Are you using a bona-fide Windows Install source? In any case, read this, you seem to need mkecd.vxd..

JCPB's Win 95 page has an example of how to load it in CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\CDMKE.SYS /SBP:220 /D:MSCD000

However, it'll also require MSCDEX.EXE (or SHCDX33E.COM) to work (in AUTOEXEC.BAT or as an INSTALL= line, in CONFIG.SYS)...

@LC: I think you may have missed the bits below. :unsure:

RAM 256.

CDMKE.SYS

CDMKE.SYS? That's a DOS driver...

JCPB's Win 95 page has an example of how to load it in CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\CDMKE.SYS /SBP:220 /D:MSCD000

However, it'll also require MSCDEX.EXE (or SHCDX33E.COM) to work (in AUTOEXEC.BAT or as an INSTALL= line, in CONFIG.SYS)...

Yeah I overlooked the RAM info. Fixed. :blushing:

Still I have never encountered those DOS CDROM drivers before and unless Prehistoric's CDROM drive will not work with OAKCDROM.SYS I don't see what purpose they are serving in the current setup. There should be no need to set up a special DOS driver for a CDROM at this point in the process. If Prehistoric needs a CDROM driver loaded for running in pure DOS mode then this can be set up later after Windows 95 is up and running.

We need to know whether the system has a Floppy Drive or not (assuming yes based on previous posts), and whether he is using 95 RTM or OSR2 (assuming OSR2 based on previous posts), and whether it is a set of floppies or a CDROM, and if a CDROM whether or not he has the Boot Disk that came with the CDROM. (I tend to forget that original Windows 95 CDROMs are not bootable like 98SE ones.)

Provided it is an OSR2 CDROM, then only a normal Windows 98 Boot Disk with OAKCDROM.SYS/MSCDEX.EXE should be needed in order to install Windows 95, whether copying the SETUP files to the HDD as I do or installing from the CDROM. If it isn't OSR2 and is 95 RTM, the it's more complicated because the DOS version is different (therefore 98 Boot Disk can't be used) and the CDROM driver support is not automatic and has to be tweaked for the system (from my understanding; I've only used OSR2 on a normal basis).

Edited by LoneCrusader

It seems to be a very old CD-Player connected to a SoundBlaster interface, not IDE, so probably OAKCDROM.SYS won't work.

See this.

Hmmm... For some reason I haven't been able to turn up any good documentation on Prehistoric's particular machine (just a very generic spec sheet for multiple models) so I'm not certain about any of the hardware. How did you find this out? Edited by LoneCrusader

You are tenacious! Just to reassure you I am working hard at my end - within my knowledge limits. To answer your latest questions I have a CD not a set of floppies. I have tried to add lines to the config.sys and autoexec.bat based on searches to try to get the CD Rom loaded but have not found any that load it. The CD Rom is - Matshita UJDA 730 and I copied the drivers from the XP installation via a floppy into the C drive of Win 95. It seems to recognise one of them but keeps telling me the CD Rom is not turned on. Before loading 95 I formatted the drive with Dos 6.22 (3 floppies) and then ran format C: /s which I gather installs fat 16 used by 95B. This did not work. I have also tried installing from dos 6.22. In case that affects anything? I also tried installing using manual rather than typical and choosing virtually no drivers. The results to all this are exactly the same error message. I even cleaned the installation CD! Incidentally XP installation works perfectly with no sign of any errors. My last posting seems to be missing - I discovered that the processor speed is 1.3ghz which I thought should not cause a problem? 

Sorry I overlooked - hard drive is 32gb and I have removed the partition so it is one drive. Yes there is a floppy. When I check version it says 95B which I assume is OSR2? Fix95CPU installs all files with no errors and says Win95 will now load. I installed Fix95CPU during installation when I was asked to reboot. I have also tried it after the install just to check. It crashes immediately after the Fix95DPU install but on next restart it loads in safe mode. I had not realised the problem installing the original CD Rom drivers but I originally tried without them anyway. I also wondered about the 95 install CD being damaged but there are no recorded errors during installation so I am not sure how I find out? I will try another reinstall using What I have gleaned from you all. I hope I have now covered all your questions?

By following "CDMKE.SYS" and seeing where it led me... Here's more, and even more.

Right. But Prehistoric has a laptop. I'm not aware of any laptops that have SoundBlaster cards with IDE interfaces (of course I may just have no knowledge of such a configuration but it sounds like a very strange hardware combination... :huh: ).

You are tenacious! Just to reassure you I am working hard at my end - within my knowledge limits. To answer your latest questions I have a CD not a set of floppies. I have tried to add lines to the config.sys and autoexec.bat based on searches to try to get the CD Rom loaded but have not found any that load it. The CD Rom is - Mats***a UJDA 730 and I copied the drivers from the XP installation via a floppy into the C drive of Win 95. It seems to recognise one of them but keeps telling me the CD Rom is not turned on. Before loading 95 I formatted the drive with Dos 6.22 (3 floppies) and then ran format C: /s which I gather installs fat 16 used by 95B. This did not work. I have also tried installing from dos 6.22. In case that affects anything? I also tried installing using manual rather than typical and choosing virtually no drivers. The results to all this are exactly the same error message. I even cleaned the installation CD! Incidentally XP installation works perfectly with no sign of any errors. My last posting seems to be missing - I discovered that the processor speed is 1.3ghz which I thought should not cause a problem?

Uh-oh. Several possible problems with this setup. :unsure:

You should only need a standard Windows 98 Boot Disk and your 95B CDROM to complete this installation. You shouldn't have to be modifying AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS or copying any files from the XP installation CD. Remember XP drivers are not compatible with Windows 95.

You should FDISK and FORMAT the HDD with the 98 Boot Disk and the 95B CDROM and use FAT32, not FAT16. There is no reason to use FAT16 with 95B OSR2 and limit yourself to a 2GB HDD partition unless you want or need FAT16 for some specific purpose. Do NOT use any DOS 6.22 disks or programs in the setup process.

Take these steps:

Download a Windows 98 Boot Disk and write it to a Floppy.

Use this floppy to boot your machine, choose "Command prompt with CDROM support."

The CDROM should be recognized and accessible with the default driver.

Use FDISK to partition your HDD, a single 32GB partition is fine unless you want to install another OS dual-boot.

Navigate to the \WIN95 folder on your CDROM and use FORMAT to format the partition as FAT32 (it will take a while for 32GB).

Once this is done you can either run Windows 95 SETUP from the CDROM or copy the contents of the WIN95 folder to a folder on the HDD and run it from there. I recommend copying them to the HDD, but its up to you. If you choose to do so, create a folder such as \WIN95CD on your C:\ drive and copy all files from the \WIN95 folder on the CDROM to it, and then run SETUP from inside the \WIN95CD folder on C:\.

Then use FIX95CPU as before and let us know what happens.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I have completed your list but it makes no difference. I was not able to fathom the xcopy instruction to copy files from the cd rom to the hard drive so I copied from WIN98 folder on the CD. I never had a problem with the CD Rom prior to installing Win95 so the Win98 seems to have no effect. My problem is with the CD Rom after install. That is why I thought I needed some instructions in the config and autoexec files to recognise the OAKCDROM driver?