Nlite doesnt seem to work anymore

nerdistmonk

So i decided to bail off of Windows 7 and return to XP pro x64, I blow the dust off all my stuff:

Check last post for .ini and current updates to the situation, nlite appears to not be applying everything to source (specifically tweaks, even though the ini duly notes the tweaks i asked for)

Edited by nerdistmonk

nerdistmonk, if you are running nLite under W7 (x64?) to create an ISO for XP x64, that is probably your problem. Integrating an SP very likely will not work. If you are willing to try it without an SP, then run nLite.exe in XP Compatibility Mode and let us know if it works. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: You could also run nLite under XP x64 in your VM.

Edited by johnhc

nerdistmonk, if you are running nLite under W7 (x64?) to create an ISO for XP x64, that is probably your problem. Integrating an SP very likely will not work. If you are willing to try it without an SP, then run nLite.exe in XP Compatibility Mode and let us know if it works. Enjoy, John.

my msfn tag says im on windows xp x64, im not on 7 anymore

Edited by nerdistmonk

nerdistmonk, my MSFN tag also says I'm on XP x64. The system I am using right now was build with nLite and works fine. It installs with no errors (on VMware Server and HW) except two DCOM errors (common to XP x64). These can be eliminated with KB899965, but it cannot be added soon enough to avoid the first two. Since we have not seen your Last Session.ini, we can only guess on what is going on (this is what I did in my first reply.) Enjoy, John.

nerdistmonk, my MSFN tag also says I'm on XP x64. The system I am using right now was build with nLite and works fine. It installs with no errors (on VMware Server and HW) except two DCOM errors (common to XP x64). These can be eliminated with KB899965, but it cannot be added soon enough to avoid the first two. Since we have not seen your Last Session.ini, we can only guess on what is going on (this is what I did in my first reply.) Enjoy, John.

Ive been using nlite since the first version, like I said im running some basic tests to see what the root cause is,

Ill post back when I try a different disc (im almost positive my other 64bit disc has a different name when you insert it)

EDIT: Different discs made no difference, i even fired up serv 03, nlite mangled it just like XP64.....

Edited by nerdistmonk

EDIT:

Ok its removing everything ive asked it to, but it isnt applying all the tweaks, as for the Userenv errors I dont know.

So I guess what I would like is an explaination to why it isnt applying all the tweaks

Notably: Welcome Screen....I turned this dingleberry off, I also enabled Ctrl alt del, Yet i dont get ctrl alt del during logon,

It asks me to tour xp even though Tour has been removed WTH?

Windows XP Professional 64-bit (Original Release)

Any combination of updates/service pack doesnt seem to make any difference, i dont have the patients to care anymore for tonight, I used to love nlite, but back then it worked fine, I dont recall having these problems, and everything was the same, I had the same OS the same SP2 the same updates, removed EVEN more back then, nowadays i keep more stuff but somehow im having these strange problems that arnt adding up, so please shed some light here, i have attached my recent ini

EDIT: Havent heard a peep from anyone here, so im continuing to find the problem by myself, sadly the more i look the more it seems the only problem is nlite itself. The only thing I can do with it is slipstream. Used to work fine before.

EDIT2: Say WooT! for progress, narrowed it down to tweaks/removal causing issue(s), only 42,000 switches left to check hehe....I got my money on tweaks being the problem.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by nerdistmonk

nerdistmonk, thanks for the Last Session. First, please check the Hash codes for your 1.4.9.1. installer. Below are the codes from mine - the MD5 is the same as posted on the nLite wed site. IF your's disagrees or you do not have the installer, please remove your installed nLite, DL and install a new one (from nLite, check MD5). Please tell me what the Userenv is. Are you getting any errors during running nLite or install? If so, please post screen shots. I have not used 5eraph's Update Pack but I do use his IE8 AddOn and know he does good work. I am not familiar with KB955704 (exFAT) and do not know if it integrates properly with nLite. There are some updates that don't. I add several via Kurt_Aust's procedure I pointed to earlier. You only need to add SP2 even if your Windows is RTM. Run nLite only once, doing all your work, and always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders. I also remove tour and it is truly gone. Enjoy, John.

CRC32: DC26A860

MD5: 3C29656A99295E819FA2FE44F814AE42

SHA-1: 10E3C9AD9C9264DE1F5BA2CAF7DE726DCDB9FFB1

nerdistmonk, thanks for the Last Session. First, please check the Hash codes for your 1.4.9.1. installer. Below are the codes from mine - the MD5 is the same as posted on the nLite wed site. IF your's disagrees or you do not have the installer, please remove your installed nLite, DL and install a new one (from nLite, check MD5). Please tell me what the Userenv is. Are you getting any errors during running nLite or install? If so, please post screen shots. I have not used 5eraph's Update Pack but I do use his IE8 AddOn and know he does good work. I am not familiar with KB955704 (exFAT) and do not know if it integrates properly with nLite. There are some updates that don't. I add several via Kurt_Aust's procedure I pointed to earlier. You only need to add SP2 even if your Windows is RTM. Run nLite only once, doing all your work, and always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders. I also remove tour and it is truly gone. Enjoy, John.
CRC32: DC26A860

MD5: 3C29656A99295E819FA2FE44F814AE42

SHA-1: 10E3C9AD9C9264DE1F5BA2CAF7DE726DCDB9FFB1

wow...i dont have time to do all of that john, screenshots? seriously....The only indicator that somesthings wrong is in the event viewer under application theres 2 userenv errors (registering related) and I cant get the classic logon screen.

The problem is the same with nlite 1.4.8 aswell (which removes the need to check hashes)

The problem went away entirely when i chose NOT to use tweaks/removal, im investigating which is causing the issue, it will take time.

Also as mentioned ive used nlite since before it was 1.0, its safe to assume i know not to nlite the same disc twice.........

me and you are not communicating on the same level, right now im narrowing it down to the exact setting that causes the problem, your diagnosing the nlite program itself, the program/host os/disc are all perfectly fine, its a setting somewhere that apprently is causing the problem, its going to take all day to find it though, use my ini to find a setting that could be casuing this, or even better an explaination as to why it seems like the OS isnt using all of nlite's infs properly (thus only some tweaks used and not others)

thanks guys

Edited by nerdistmonk

UPDATE: Do not remove ANYTHING related to remote desktop, it twould be bad.

remotepg.dll/rclmby.exe (typo) these were my problem, apparently they are important.....removing terminal services has the same effect. It destroys part of the profile system (actually kinda of removes it entirely, making windows a 1 user system similar to Windows 95/dos) and nlite cannot finish running its infs since the profiles style of user accounts is no longer present. (Terminal Services description needs an update, its VERY VERY important)

Edited by nerdistmonk