iPhone / iTunes on Windows 2000

Whenever I make space available on the C: Drive, the Automatic Updates service starts downloading updates again.

I have now been able to access the Custom button on the Web Page for Windows Update. Could not being able to do this, before, also be related to the lack of space on my C: Drive partition?

Clicking on the Custom button has updated the page to the following.

WindowsUpdatePageSelectHighPriorityUpdates.jpg

However, because the Automatic Updates service restarted the Downloads, the Disk Free Space is now only 4.10MB and the Automatic Updates service has once again stopped.

The following image shows the properties for the Automatic Updates service.

AutomaticUpdatesPropertiesInServices.jpg

Should I disable the Automatic Updates service and remove all the newly added Installation Folders, except the one for KB842773, from "C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download" (see image below) and then proceed with the High Priority Updates from the Web Page?

InstallationFoldersDownloadedByAutomaticUpdates.jpg

Thank you, Michael

What size is your HDD and why is it so full? I think for best results you need to provide enough space for it to download all the updates at the same time that it thinks your system needs. Not to mention enough room for the paging file, hibernation, if used, temp files, apps you've installed, such as iTunes and the temp space they require, etc, etc.

Cheers and Regards

What size is your HDD and why is it so full? I think for best results you need to provide enough space for it to download all the updates at the same time that it thinks your system needs. Not to mention enough room for the paging file, hibernation, if used, temp files, apps you've installed, such as iTunes and the temp space they require, etc, etc.

Cheers and Regards

The reason it is so full is because of installations, including iTunes, that don't give you the choice to select the installation location. Before I started the iTunes and Updates installations, I had around 800MB of free space not including the paging file but that's beside the point at the moment.

I need answers to the questions I have already posted above because even if I could free up enough space, and how much space is required for the Automatic Updates is unknown, what do I do about the Updates that have been downloaded but failed to be installed? Did they fail because of lack of space?

According to the Guide to installing and updating Windows 2000 Professional, 286.3MB is possibly required to complete the Updates.

Thank you, Michael

I need answers to the questions I have already posted above because even if I could free up enough space, and how much space is required for the Automatic Updates is unknown, what do I do about the Updates that have been downloaded but failed to be installed? Did they fail because of lack of space?

According to the Guide to installing and updating Windows 2000 Professional, 286.3MB is possibly required to complete the Updates.

Since your pics above indicate that you were down to ~3MB, I would say that is definitely a problem. How did you possibly expect updates to install with no space to use?

As far as iTunes is concerned, I think that what tomasz86 and BWC were saying was that you will have a better chance of success if you do not try to reinstall it until after Windows Update has managed to successfully install all the potential updates that it suggests.

Since you have totally filled your HDD to the point that it's performance is bound to suffer even if you are able to eventually get all the updates installed, you might want to consider wiping it clean and starting from scratch. Using some of the recommended methods found on this forum to update your source offline before installing it will end up taking up less room on your HDD once installed. And you are bound to not need all the software you have installed so this time only install the software that you have proven that you need. Both of these approaches will help leave you with a more stable and responsive system.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

For the benefit of others who may need this information in the future, I have the following update.

Last night, I decided to follow my instincts. My plan was to remove the Installations downloaded by Automatic Updates and then let the Windows Update web page apply the updates instead.

Using PKZIP, I backed up all the KBxxxxxx Log files in "C:\WINNT\" and the Installation Folders and Files in "C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download", created since BITS 2.0 was installed, to another Drive to make more space free on my C: Drive partition. Deleting these from the C: Drive would free up around 385MB of space.

However, after deleting the Folders and Files from the aforementioned locations, I discovered that by clicking on the "+" icon to the left of the Update, on the web page, that the Web Page had already seen and recognised the Installations download by Automatic Updates as can be seen in the following image.

WindowsUpdatePageSomeHighPriorityUpdatesAlreadyDownloaded.jpg

This makes sense, when you think about it, because that page is using an ActiveX Control which allows it to determine what updates have been downloaded and/or installed.

So, I need to restore the files and folders I have deleted to allow the Web Page to function correctly which still leaves me faced with a lack of space for allowing the Updates to be applied.

However, I have found an Adobe Reader installation, within "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data", that can be removed which will free up about 112MB of space. Also, I found some Outlook Express files, that can be backed up, which will free up another 188MB.

Will the extra 300MB of space I have found be sufficient to complete the download and installation of the Updates?

I also want to get "Apple Software Update", iPod and iTunes off the C: Drive and installed elsewhere. If BlackWingCat's installation software can't achieve this because by default, as possibly poorly designed by Apple, they are installed on the C: Drive, could I manually move the files from "C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update", "C:\Program Files\iPod" and "C:\Program Files\iTunes" to another Drive and update the Registry manually for entries such as '"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /open "%L"'?

Thank you, Michael

Hi BlackWingCat,

After downloading and installing the Windows Updates, the following are the results of my 2nd attempt to install iTunes 10.7.

AppleMobileDeviceServiceEntryPointNotFound2.jpg

When the following message was displayed I clicked on the Ignore button.

AppleMobileDeviceServiceFailedToStartMessage.jpg

The following shows the next Error message that was displayed. I clicked on the Ignore button.

BonjourServiceFailedToRegister.jpg

For the following error message, I clicked on the Cancel button.

BonjourServiceFailedToStart.jpg

For the following message, I clicked on the Yes button.

BonjourServiceFailedToStartCancelYesOrNo.jpg

The following was the next Error message to be displayed. I clicked on the Ignore button.

AppleSoftwareUpdateScriptingObjectModelFailedToRegister.jpg

Then, the following message was displayed.

DllRegisterServerInScriptingObjectModelSucceeded.jpg

The next thing to be displayed was the initial dialogue window, "Welcome to iTunes", for the installation of iTunes.

WelcomeToItunes.jpg

After clicking on the Next button, I then selected the D: drive for the installation.

iTunesChangeCurrentDestinationFolder.jpg

My Installation Options were as follows.

iTunesInstallationOptions.jpg

After clicking on the Install button, an error message indicated that the Bonjour Service failed to register. I clicked on the Ignore button.

iTunesBonjourServiceFailedToRegister.jpg

Why is iTunes trying to install Bonjour when setupit.cmd is already trying to install it before iTunes is installed?

Or, why is setupit.cmd installing Bonjour before iTunes?

Please answer these questions about Bonjour.

Again, a message was displayed indicating that the Bonjour Service had failed to start. I clicked on the Cancel button.

iTunesBonjourServiceFailedToStart.jpg

For the following message, I clicked on the Yes button.

iTunesBonjourServiceFailedToStartCancelYesOrNo.jpg

The iTunes installation was then rolled back and then the following was displayed.

itunesInstallerInterrupted.jpg

You can download my version of setupit.cmd from the following link.

My version of setupit.cmd

You can download the output, from setupit.cmd, from the following link.

Output from setupit.cmd

Only one thing has been corrected with this attempt at installing iTunes.

The Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is now functioning correctly as can be seen in the following image.

AppleMobileDeviceUsbDriverFunctioningCorrectly.jpg

Arigato, Michael.

• 6 years later...

Anyone can shed a light here? I have an iPod Nano 1st gen, and I cannot make it visible on WIndows 2000 SP4 Professional, no matter what version of iTunes I install. I have tried numerous times with the latest version for Win2k (7.3.2) and I couldn't understand the instructions for BWCat's iTunes install. No matter what I do, the iPod is not recognized and Device Manager shows an yellow exclamation mark for a device unnamed but labeled as an USB Mass Storage Device. I've lost three nights trying to make it happen.

OK, with a vanilla fresh install of Windows 2000 Professional, the iTunes 7.3.2 can see the iPod Nano.

When I install the updates, it's broken again. I can't figure out which update broke it for the iPod. Windows cannot see it anymore.