What's wrong with my Unattended.XML?

crunch81

Good day people,

I'm very glad that there is a Forum like this one! I hope somebody can help me.

I'm now installing Vista in Virtual PC for the 11th time in a row for one las problem!!!

I have a Unattended VLite Vista install and it will launch WPI after install.

This is the problem:

My screen resolution just won't change!!!!

This is my .xml file, can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong???

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral"
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>nl-NL</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>0409:00020409</InputLocale>
<UserLocale>nl-NL</UserLocale>
<UILanguage>nl-NL</UILanguage>
<SystemLocale>nl-NL</SystemLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral"
<UserData>
<ProductKey>
<Key>XXXXXXXXXXXXX</Key>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</ProductKey>
<Organization>PC</Organization>
<FullName>Gebruiker</FullName>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
</UserData>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<MetaData wcm:action="add">
<Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
<Value>Windows Vista HOMEBASICN</Value>
</MetaData>
</InstallFrom>
<InstallToAvailablePartition>false</InstallToAvailablePartition>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral"
<AutoLogon>
<Password>
<Value>
</Value>
</Password>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<LogonCount>1</LogonCount>
<Username>Administrator</Username>
</AutoLogon>
<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>
<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
<SkipUserOOBE>false</SkipUserOOBE>
</OOBE>
<TimeZone>W. Europe Standard Time</TimeZone>
<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>
<Value />
</AdministratorPassword>
</UserAccounts>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral"
<Display>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
</Display>
</component>
<ComputerName>PCGEBRUIKER</ComputerName>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC-UX" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral"
<SkipAutoActivation>true</SkipAutoActivation>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:C:/Users/User/Desktop/WindowsVistaBasic32/sources/install.wim#Windows Vista HOMEBASICN" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Can somebody change it in the right direction?

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by crunch81

When do you want it to change, during setup or your 1st login?

If it fails during login then you may need to integrate your display driver

Thanks for your reply. I'm working on 6 different Unattended DVD's for my work, all those DVD's must be compatible with multiple systems. I just want the resolution to change to 1024x768. It is just a basic resolution to be sure that it will work on every system. It doesn't matter for me when it will be set, I just want it to be set and never change again.

Wat to do?...

The default driver can do 1024 x 768, although WinPE defaults to 800x600 on the default VGA driver. It would help if we could find out what the OP has done in his vLiting the OS, as it seems this worked before from his statements, but not this time around with these changes. Moving to vLite seciton for further discussion.

The default driver can do 1024 x 768, although WinPE defaults to 800x600 on the default VGA driver. It would help if we could find out what the OP has done in his vLiting the OS, as it seems this worked before from his statements, but not this time around with these changes. Moving to vLite seciton for further discussion.

Thank you very much....

REALLY Hate to be a party pooper, BUT:

Thanks for your reply. I'm working on 6 different Unattended DVD's for my work, all those DVD's must be compatible with multiple systems.

vLite is NOT for business or corporation usage! WPI is only free for personal uses.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

REALLY Hate to be a party pooper, BUT:
Thanks for your reply. I'm working on 6 different Unattended DVD's for my work, all those DVD's must be compatible with multiple systems.

vLite is NOT for business or corporation usage! WPI is only free for personal uses.

Uhmmmm.....oops.....You're right. I'm glad I'm using it also for myself but I wanted to use it for my work also, to make some things more nicer and quicker.

But...You're right. I'm now busy with the second one. (all the other versions didn't work, and I am still asking in topics.) It is for myself and I am not selling it or something, I use there things myself, but also when I am at work, does that make things different?

Also note that using something like vLite on an OS image that you would ostensibly want vendor support for invalidates the EULA for the install, and thus Microsoft won't support it (they won't support nLite'd OSes, and they won't support vLite'd OSes either). This is, in general, a *bad idea* for a workplace scenario anyway (above and beyond the usage of vLite in a non-personal scenario, which violates the EULA for vLite as well).

If you're making images for a workplace environment, consider using officially sanctioned tools like Microsoft Deployment Toolkit or System Center Configuration Manager (depending on the size and scale of the environment, of course). There are non-Microsoft tools that assist with this as well, although MDT 2010+WDS is free (short of the Windows Server OS license to run it) and a pretty darned good solution for deployment for smaller environments.

Also note that using something like vLite on an OS image that you would ostensibly want vendor support for invalidates the EULA for the install, and thus Microsoft won't support it (they won't support nLite'd OSes, and they won't support vLite'd OSes either). This is, in general, a *bad idea* for a workplace scenario anyway (above and beyond the usage of vLite in a non-personal scenario, which violates the EULA for vLite as well).

If you're making images for a workplace environment, consider using officially sanctioned tools like Microsoft Deployment Toolkit or System Center Configuration Manager (depending on the size and scale of the environment, of course). There are non-Microsoft tools that assist with this as well, although MDT 2010+WDS is free (short of the Windows Server OS license to run it) and a pretty darned good solution for deployment for smaller environments.

Thank you for the information!