(Semi OT) IE8-KB978207 problem

jvidal

Hi guys, I know this might by off-topic, but I didn't know where else to turn.

The problem is that since yesterday, MU keeps asking me to install IE8-KB978207, no matter how many times I install it, it keeps coming back...

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? I'm on XP64 right now...

Is this a MU/WU problem? (most likely), or a bug in the hotfix installer...

bye!

Hi, TP!

I always install updates manually (I go to the KB article and download the update for several OSes).

When that didn't work, I went to MU and let it install it, same result, it keeps asking for it.

Strangely enough, I also have a VM running xp64 and when it asked for the update, I installed it and "voila", that was it, it never asked for it again...

weird...

Maybe s/thing wrong with my config, but that would be weird, I installed windows about a month ago or so...

I installed this windows with a HFSLIPed CD I made with hfslip64 1.1.4 (the one we worked on for several days).

Oh, and BTW, other updates work fine, it's this one only. Maybe a permissions problem on a registry key that needs to be modified by the HF?

any clues?

Edited by jvidal

Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Is this a MU/WU problem? (most likely), or a bug in the hotfix installer...

bye!

hi jvidal! it installed fine for me on 32 bit xp pro sp3

on the side, i recall 1 time there was a particular hotfix that behaved the same for me despite installing it via wu/mu or by hand repeatedly, every time i restarted it prompted to be installed ... i'll try to search for that thread & maybe post it here when i find it. cheers!

edit: found the topic although it was for ie7 (but still both ie updates ;) )

KB953838, always prompting to be installed ... perhaps some suggestions there about verification of files existing could help

Edited by Kiki Burgh

What are the file versions of

ie4uinit.exe

iedkcs32.dll

ieframe.dll

iepeers.dll

ieproxy.dll

iertutil.dll

inetcpl.cpl

jsproxy.dll

msfeeds.dll

msfeedsbs.dll

mshtml.dll

occache.dll

urlmon.dll

wininet.dll

xpshims.dll

???

post-12166-1264320962_thumb.png

Edited by -X-

IT IS an IE8 HF...

file versions? Hmm, let's see (I finally told MU to ignore this HF, it was getting pretty annoying):

ie4uinit.exe 8.0.6001.22967

iedkcs32.dll 18.0.6001.22967

ieframe.dll 8.0.6001.22967

iepeers.dll 8.0.6001.22967

ieproxy.dll not present in system32, file present in dllcache, v 8.0.6001.22967, file present in %programfiles%\internet explorer, same ver.

iertutil.dll 8.0.6001.22967

inetcpl.cpl 8.0.6001.22967

jsproxy.dll 8.0.6001.22967

msfeeds.dll 8.0.6001.22967

msfeedsbs.dll 8.0.6001.22967

mshtml.dll 8.0.6001.22967

occache.dll 8.0.6001.22967

urlmon.dll 8.0.6001.22967

wininet.dll 8.0.6001.22967

xpshims.dll 8.0.6001.22945 (*)

what gives?

Ok, did some testing.

Visited MU, installed the HF, looked at the file ver, no change. Rechecked, MU still wanted the update (although the event viewer showed it was installed SUCCESFULLY).

Then, I manually tried to copy the file, got several weird errors.

First, after copying and overwriting the file, the file STILL had v 22945, no matter how many times i tried.

Then I checked xpshims.dll in dllcache and it had the correct version (22967). Tried to copy it to system32 and got the weirdest error...

"would you like to replace the file xpshims.dll size xxxx with this one xpshims.dll SIZE -1"...

WTF?????

Maybe I need to run chkdsk on my drive.

Alright, after running chkdsk (it fixed a few small errors), I rechecked MU and now it was 100% happy.

The weird thing is that the file xpshims.dll was not present in system32 anymore (it was previously). Now it's present only in dllcache, with ver 18876 and in syswow64, version 22967...(and eventhough I installed the HF again)

Also in dllcache, there is wxpshims.dll v22967 (seems that this is the 32-bit version, the one that goes into syswow64)

weird, but it seems to be OK now.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that when you copy a 32 bit dll into system32, it gets moved automatically to syswow64, right?

(While on this subject, does anyone know a utility than can tell apart a 32 bit exe/dll from a 64 bit one??)

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Not unless dllcache has logic to do it, no, they do not automatically get copied. I've seen this before with a few IE hotfixes when I used to use hfslip, and it was always a disk problem. Sorry I didn't see it sooner, I could have suggested it :P.