What ver. of Remote Desktop Connection is installed on a plain XP-SP3

Mim0

It seems that are different versions available (see here). Actually I think it depends on the language.

Can you give me information which kind of the remote Desktop-Client and -Protocol is installed on your system when you install a plain Windows XP with SP3?

If you look on your system, plz report also

- language

- XP and SP3 as separate package or SP3 already included in the XP-CD from MS.

Or does anybody understand the article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=958469, espacially the table under KB offer matrix based on the RDC version and platforms ?

TIA, Mimo

EDIT

In MS09-044 it's written that v5.2 is standard and v6.1 is an out-of-box (=separate) installation. But in every description I found to SP3 it's written that v6.1 is included in SP3. *confused*

Edited by Mim0

This certainly is interesting. I checked my XP SP3 install and mstsc.exe is v. 6.0.6001.18000. I then checked my SP2 retail disk and expanded mstsc.ex_, it is v. 5.1.2600.2180. In my HFSLIP SOURCE and SOURCESS folders the file mstsc.ex_ is v. 5.1.2600.2180. (I have slipstreamed SP3 manually so all the SP3 files will be in my SOURCE folder too). But there is another file lhmstsc.ex_ present in both folders that is version 6.0.6001.18000, the same version as mstsc.exe in my SP3 install. It is not present in the retail SP2 disk. How does mstsc.exe go from one version to the other then? lhmstsc.ex_ must be renamed to mstsc.exe during the OS installation, because it is not present in my SP3 install?

v5.

The confusion results from the fact that Remote Desktop has three hotfixes and three hotfix numbers, and the three are under one (different) master hotfix number, so there are FOUR numbers to choose from.

Choose the lowest number for SP3; there is 5.0, 5.1, 6.0 IIRC. You want 5.0. The other versions will slipstream but will give errors when you try to actually run them. I wish I could tell you how to make 6 work, but since I do not use it, I don't other with it, sorry

That's because if you install a version of 5.x on an XP SP2 system newer than 5.1.2600 (say, 5.2.3790.xxxx from visiting a 2K3 TSWeb page), the install of XPSP3 doesn't remove the control, and with some page control you can still force an SP3 system to load the 5.x control rather than the 6.x control. It's to make sure people using an older (unsupported, on XPSP3, btw) control are still patched. The thing that catches most folks is that the v6 control is *disabled* by default when XPSP3 is installed, due to the fact that it's considered insecure (more secure than 5.x, but still an insecure control due to the lack of integrity levels on XP). You could always just use v7 of the connection software as well.